Does anyone know if there is an app that will always scan and connect to open wifi connections. no 3G in my area and i have saved most places that i frequently visit, but i think it would be great if it would scan, connect, and sav in your list any open networks. Anyone know of anything?
    04-23-09 02:52 PM
    that would be a GREAT app, but i dont think there is on yet.

i know walmart use to sell a little key fob looking thing thing, that all you did was hit a button and it would tell you if there was WIFI where your at. im sure you can get them at just about any computer store... i got one for my dad before he got is Sprint Air Card.
    04-23-09 02:55 PM
    Isn't that under setup wifi connection under the manage connections?
    i think what he wants is an app that you dont have to look at your berry for... rhis way you are always connected to WIFI if you have it turnd on and there is WIFI service in your spot.
    04-23-09 02:56 PM
    Yea I posted before I realized what he was asking. Come to think of it that would be a great idea.
    04-23-09 03:01 PM
    thats what i figured.... but i still got a quote before you deleted it!!!
    04-23-09 03:03 PM
    Casper understands what I want.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-09 03:07 PM
    you sneeky man you well let me ask you this. I know it might be different on ya'lls but when I have my wifi on and leave on connection it automatically picks up the next one I'm around, but I think that's just because I have the locations saved in my wifi settings
    04-23-09 03:08 PM
    if you have wifi on and locations saved they will/SHOULD auto connect if you set it that way. most wifi spots are encryoted and would require some input from the end user prior to using it anyway.
    04-23-09 03:17 PM
    Okay that's what I thought I just wanted to make sure
    04-23-09 03:19 PM
    I've noticed that some places/people do not encrypt their wifi signal and have it set to the default name like "linksys" or "NETGEAR".

Set up a connection to always find these and connect automatically.

Happens a couple of times a day, at least, when I'm oot and aboot.
    04-23-09 03:23 PM
    I've noticed that some places/people do not encrypt their wifi signal and have it set to the default name like "linksys" or "NETGEAR".

Set up a connection to always find these and connect automatically.

Happens a couple of times a day, at least, when I'm oot and aboot.
    ok, now wount it be GREAT if the BB did that by itself??? instead of you haveing to go into the setup and search???
    04-23-09 03:26 PM
    ok, now wount it be GREAT if the BB did that by itself??? instead of you haveing to go into the setup and search???

It will do it...like I said, some people and places either don't know how to encrypt their wifi or don't care.

I get clear wifi in a couple of places just because I have these connections "lynksys", NETGEAR" and "d-link" set up to automatically connect when you are in range. The words in parentheses are just the manufacturers default setting on the wifi router.

If you have wifi at home or work, you know how it just automatically connects when you get there?

Same thing.
    04-23-09 03:31 PM
    ok so if i got this right.....

go into your wifi setup
    manually enter a network
    enter "d-link" "NETGEAR" and "lynksys" without the "" and one at a time
    save the connection

now that if i am in one of those areas, i will automatically connect, if i have wifi turned on?
    04-23-09 03:38 PM
    Once you are around a connection that you frequent, scan for the network once it found save it and next time you are there it will automatically connect to that signal. At least that's the way I've done it and I haven't had a single problem connecting that way
    04-23-09 03:39 PM
    Once you are around a connection that you frequent, scan for the network once it found save it and next time you are there it will automatically connect to that signal.
    it would be great if the BB did this by itself.... YOU have to go in there and scan and save.

at least what John is talking about, it will connect if the router has the DEFAULT name and in UNsecured
    04-23-09 03:43 PM
    ok so if i got this right.....

go into your wifi setup
    manually enter a network
    enter "d-link" "NETGEAR" and "lynksys" without the "" and one at a time
    save the connection

now that if i am in one of those areas, i will automatically connect, if i have wifi turned on?

You are correct sir!

There are so many unsecured signals out there it is hard to believe.

Some mom and pop joints like delis and bars send out a wifi signal so that their customers can connect easily or they just plugged their router in and think everything is fine. I've got neighbors around my house and at a friends that have screaming fast wifi that is unsecured.

Works for me, check it out... you'll be surprised.
    04-23-09 03:45 PM
    I don't save them with the default name, I just name them whatever the place is. And 5 of them are secure connections and I don't have do anything execpt be in range and viola I'm connected. Come to think if it, is it really that hard to press a few buttons to scan and save. It literally takes me less than a minute to do all that
    04-23-09 03:46 PM
    ok i see both sides here.... yes addict you can save the scan and save the places. i like the idea of just looking down and saying "ohh look WIFI" and be done with it. now what if your out and about and your at one of your favorite spots, you dont think that they would ever have wifi, but BAM, there it is. thats cool.

now if there was an app that would find any unsecured WIFI points and save them with out you even knowing. so if your in the city on your way to work, and your connected to some deli or coffee shop as you drive by.
    04-23-09 03:53 PM
    ok i see both sides here.... yes addict you can save the scan and save the places. i like the idea of just looking down and saying "ohh look WIFI" and be done with it. now what if your out and about and your at one of your favorite spots, you dont think that they would ever have wifi, but BAM, there it is. thats cool.

now if there was an app that would find any unsecured WIFI points and save them with out you even knowing. so if your in the city on your way to work, and your connected to some deli or coffee shop as you drive by.

Okay NOW I get it Sorry I think I was missing your point. Yes that would be great. It would make things so much easier. It sounds like it might be possible
    04-23-09 03:57 PM
    Sounds like this topic should be posted in the "Features You Would Like To See In An Upcoming Update". Excellent idea!
    04-23-09 06:13 PM
    How bout with a possible diff color led flash to let us know

04-23-09 06:40 PM
    at least what John is talking about, it will connect if the router has the DEFAULT name and in UNsecured
    Yes, that's what he means. I do it all the time. I have "work", "home", "linksys" & "belkinG". I am constantly surprised to see the wifi light up when I'm out at different places. If you've ever explored war-driving..... It maps open wifi the world over. I say let the wifi be open and free!
    04-23-09 07:46 PM
    Time to be a turd... All fine and dandy if you don't mind connecting to anyone's unsecured network. I guess I read 2600 magazine too much!

04-23-09 09:31 PM
    i looked for an hour with no results for any app that will work for our phones but what you can do is use a desktop wifi or hotspot locator and see what it sniffs out for you! then you can just go to those places and know that you will have wifi there! to be honest i have found many secret locations with wifi and by accident because i normally turn off my wifi when not at home! G'luck!
    04-23-09 09:37 PM
    this would be a great app but wouldnt it devour battery life even more than it already does if the app was constantly scannin for new/more/stronger networks all the time?
    04-24-09 02:38 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD