Hi all,
    I have a 8320 Curve from T-Mobile. I don't have the data plan. I try to connect the BB to the home wireless router. It connected as I can ping the BB IP address. In the WiFi menu it showred the SSID of the AP but the phone icon is "yellow" and NOT green.

I searched the forum and someone said you don't need a data plan to use the WiFi to make a call, etc. But, seem like it does not work for me at this point?

Any advice or suggestion to make this work?

TIA
    07-26-08 06:06 PM
    Try turning all connections off and then back on after 10 seconds. no data plan needed for wifi unless at hotspot - also try battery pull with power on.
    07-26-08 06:40 PM
    I finally make it worked. I can make a phone call and browse the Internet. Sweet.

Now, I need to know if I make a call using WiFi ... is there is a charge and does it use my plan minutes? I heard some where in the forum that calls from WiFi are FREE. Just make sure that is the case ... and don't want to get surprise at the end of the month

Cheers,
    07-27-08 06:28 PM
    The minutes will be used unless you have the hotspot at home feature on your account. Calls are free if you have that, well unlimited not free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-08 06:30 PM
    It is only FREE not using up your minutes if you have The HOTSPOT or the @Home plan. Both cost $10 a month at this time
    07-31-08 03:30 PM
    It is only FREE not using up your minutes if you have The HOTSPOT or the @Home plan. Both cost $10 a month at this time
    Not correct

This is a common misconception that really confuses people...

The FREE UMA calling over WiFi is only available on HotSpot@Home (or now called Talk Forever addon). This is NOT free with the @Home addon!

As for the original question... you can connect to WiFi but not UMA.

Read my "Complete WiFi Guide" to trouble shoot your issue!! That should help, but if it does not... I am working on completing the designated UMA section. That guide should definitely fix your problem though

link is in my signature
    07-31-08 03:34 PM
    HMMM well how come everytime I call into Tmobile (and that's alot since I got the blackberry) they ask me why don't i drop the HOTSPOT since I got the @home , because they said my cell phones will work with the @home. I'm told this EACH and everytime i call in . I say I want to keep both and they laugh and think I'm crazy. I even just called them RIGHT NOW to double check before posting and they said once again that my WIFI cell phones can latch onto my @home without the HOTSPOT
    08-01-08 05:11 PM
    Not correct

This is a common misconception that really confuses people...

The FREE UMA calling over WiFi is only available on HotSpot@Home (or now called Talk Forever addon). This is NOT free with the @Home addon!

As for the original question... you can connect to WiFi but not UMA.

Read my "Complete WiFi Guide" to trouble shoot your issue!! That should help, but if it does not... I am working on completing the designated UMA section. That guide should definitely fix your problem though

link is in my signature

LOL .... hey wait a minute I went to another post i did on Crackberry and said basically the same answer and you told me CORRECT....LOL Now you tell me Wrong

Please don't confuse my uneducated mind. I'm already nervous about looking stupid on this site since i have no technical knowledge to hold a meaningful conversation
    08-01-08 05:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD