where i work the cell service blows. I don't generally make phone calls while at work so its not a big deal. I do however use a lot of data while at work and the speeds on the cell service blows. I rely on the wifi to be able to surf the web, and use BBM with consistency.
    01-26-11 02:13 PM
    I never turn the wifi off on my phone because I have networks at work, home friend's house, my coffee shop, even the grocery store has free wifi. I charge every night from about half because I use a holster so leaving the wifi on isn't draining my battery faster than I can handle.

But no, it is not a must have, there is no real significant difference in speed, I just find it useful to have options. Everything I do on wifi can be done about as fast and efficient on 3g.
    Only on your device then.

I'm sorry but that is just not true. Sprints network (3G) is nowhere near as fast as a good WiFi connection over a cable/fios network. You must have terrible data speeds over your WiFi connection if this is the case.

Also, 3G is NOT more efficient than WiFi. I explained it in a different post within this thread.

+1, wifi is much faster than the network.
    01-26-11 02:16 PM
    BlackBerry has Wifi for two reasons.

The original models, Curve 8320 and Pearl 8120 used Wifi to enable Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA). This provides an alternate channel for Voice, Text and BlackBerry data. It is most useful where carrier service is degraded, not available or in foreign countries.

The Bold and later models use Wifi to provide a BIS/BES over IP connection. The difference is, Voice and Text still require the carrier signal.

I can't speak to speed differences on 3G networks, but the difference on 2G networks is huge.
    01-26-11 02:32 PM
    I'm in the wifi always on camp. I do notice that browser is much faster when connected through WiFi at my homes. Also like the fact that I can do other data things while taking a phone call. Often I'm on a call and need to google something.
    01-26-11 02:32 PM
    I wouldn't buy another smart phone without wifi. One of the things I like to do is stream music (Pandora, Orb, Sirius/XM), as well as view Youtube videos. All works well on CDMA 3G when you have a strong signal, but can get choppy in weaker signal areas. Having wifi makes streaming much smoother, and it doesn't bite into limited data plans.

Plus, if you travel (which I do), you have to turn off the wireless radio while on planes. But, you can use wifi connections while in the air. So, emails can still be sent, and browsing websites and such can still be done with the wireless radio off.
    01-26-11 03:26 PM
    Yea something must be wrong. You should be able to tell the difference pretty easily. Try running a speed test with WiFi on and then with 3G. I know RIMs proxy slows things down, but when I had my 9000 and 9700, WiFi was always much faster, and AT&T has the fastest overall data speeds in the US right now (at least they are claiming to, but I was getting 2-4Mbps with my iPhone 3GS).
    Some speed tests confirm Wifi is almost like twice as fast as Sprint Network every time, crazy right? I just don't notice the difference when I'm waiting for something to load. Maybe I'll try to dl some large files on each connection and see.
    01-26-11 03:52 PM
    "save battery life"? All I hear is how it kills battery life by having wifi on.
    when it's on and not connected, it wastes battery life by constantly searching to connect. When wifi is connected it uses less battery than 3 or 4G.
    01-26-11 03:56 PM
    if you dont see a difference in speed its because you have the crappy BB browser probably.
    Exactly! Even with wifi the native BB browser does a poor job loading web pages.
    01-26-11 04:00 PM
    Some speed tests confirm Wifi is almost like twice as fast as Sprint Network every time, crazy right? I just don't notice the difference when I'm waiting for something to load. Maybe I'll try to dl some large files on each connection and see.
    Yea download some files and see. If you can't tell the difference it may be due to RIMs proxy, but like I said, I still saw the difference even with a faster network.
    01-26-11 04:01 PM
    With a 10 mb cap on download wifi let's you dl bigger files.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-11 04:56 PM
    If you don't have 3G or if you don't have unlimited data then yes. If not, then with the BB Browser you won't see much of a difference.
    01-26-11 05:35 PM
    WIFI is nice, theres no need for any new device not to have it. Its almost as basic as phone service now.

here are some pointers

-If you have poor signal/limited data plan, Wifi is usually faster and free.
    In fact, a lot faster and it usually is 100% free, unless you are at an airport.

-Once connected, it uses less battery power than your normal provider does, ATT/Verizon or whatever.

-BB some of them suck at loading pages, so though the data may be there, its still trying to show it to you. (thats the part where you may not notice the difference)

You may not always be at home, so if your service goes out or you are in a congested area, wifi will be your friend. Its a nice option to have!
    01-27-11 01:27 AM
    Wifi is great to save yourself on data charges if you don't have an unlimited plan.

01-27-11 03:59 AM
    I have wifi on all the time even though I have an unlimited data plan. It's faster!
    01-27-11 07:55 AM
    If you are travelling internationally, you can access BIS services over wifi without incurring data roaming charges. I used it to BBM when I was travelling this summer.
    01-27-11 08:00 AM
    if you dont see a difference in speed its because you have the crappy BB browser probably.
    What browser do you suggest for Blackberry?
    01-27-11 08:09 AM
    [QUOTE=Reed McLay;5992395][color=green]
    It is most useful where carrier service is degraded, not available or in foreign countries.

Does this mean I can make wifi calls in foreign countries even if my BB is not global?
    01-27-11 08:11 AM
    I have the tour, and yes, there are many times I wish it had wifi.
    01-27-11 08:19 AM
    Here's a quick question.... I've been reading along the way in other threads that you can use wifi for BBM? Is that right?
    01-27-11 08:21 AM
    when it's on and not connected, it wastes battery life by constantly searching to connect. When wifi is connected it uses less battery than 3 or 4G.
    My experience has proven otherwise. Having wifi on constantly, and no network service, my battery lasted for 3 days.
    01-27-11 08:23 AM
    Here's a quick question.... I've been reading along the way in other threads that you can use wifi for BBM? Is that right?
    Correct.

Turn off the radio and try.
    01-27-11 08:56 AM
    What browser do you suggest for Blackberry?
    a different phone lol....if you must, try opera or bolt
    01-27-11 08:59 AM
    Correct.

Turn off the radio and try.
    But only if you are a regular subscriber to a BIS plan. If you don't have a BIS plan, you can't access BBM over wifi.
    01-27-11 09:21 AM
    But only if you are a regular subscriber to a BIS plan. If you don't have a BIS plan, you can't access BBM over wifi.
    correct, no BBM. You can only use the browser.
    01-27-11 09:24 AM
    a different phone lol....if you must, try opera or bolt
    I use the BB browser for mobile web browsing only and if I need to view full web pages I'll use Bolts browser. Both work well when use for what their intended for.

I'm on Cdma 3G.
    As far as web surfing goes pages only load a few seconds fast when using wifi vs a decent 3G connection. I've had a few chances to use the EV-Do and that connection seem solid. Web pages loaded faster then when on 3G which was close to wifi speeds.

The main reason why I enjoy wifi so much is the download data speeds are up to 9x faster then when on a strong 3G and EV-DO connection.

01-27-11 10:02 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD