I used it for the first time the other day to connect to my wifi network at home and dont really see what's the big deal. If there is a signifigant difference in speed when using the browser I certainly didnt notice.

I've seen several members here state that wifi is a must have option, but how important is it? What can u do with wifi that you cant do over your 3g/4g network?
    01-26-11 10:55 AM
    Depends on your data plan.

If you are on an unlimited one, no not really. Wifi while faster wouldn't make a difference.

I am on a 200 mb plan so use wifi at home meaning that I normally only munch through between 150 - 175mb a month saving me money.

So depends on your budget. Mine makes wifi an must. Yours could be different.
    01-26-11 11:00 AM
    Even with an unlimited data plan I still will not buy a device without WiFi. WiFi helps save battery life while it is in use and the data speeds are much faster.
    01-26-11 11:02 AM
    I think I'm on the same boat as you. I've only used wifi a few times, cause usually I'm too lazy to switch the dam thing on. The only time I ever use wifi is when there's no 3G service, which the only place that doesn't have service would be in the basement where one of my classes are. I guess sometimes it can save your life, but honestly it hasn't been of much use to me. The only useful thing you can do with wifi is make wap calls and that's about it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-11 11:04 AM
    Even with an unlimited data plan I still will not buy a device without WiFi. WiFi helps save battery life while it is in use and the data speeds are much faster.
    "save battery life"? All I hear is how it kills battery life by having wifi on.
    01-26-11 11:04 AM
    What he said. WiFi doesn't kill battery life. If your 3G signal is weak, taht will kill battery life as it keeps switching from 2G to 3G.

I have WiFi at home and at my office, so my Torch is on it a lot. I have excellent battery life. And it is faster than 3G (unless your internet service is really slow).
    01-26-11 11:08 AM
    WiFi is a must for me even though I have unlimited data too. I have Addonis so my wifi will cut off when I don't have a spot saved and the speeds are faster than 3G sometimes especially at home.
    01-26-11 11:10 AM
    Not true.

Depends on your data plan.

If you are on an unlimited one, no not really. Wifi while faster wouldn't make a difference.

I am on a 200 mb plan so use wifi at home meaning that I normally only munch through between 150 - 175mb a month saving me money.

So depends on your budget. Mine makes wifi an must. Yours could be different.

I too have the $15/150MB data plan and having wifi keeps the network data uasge down, and is much faster.
    01-26-11 11:13 AM
    WIFI saves battery and is faster than most 3G data connections. Use it whenever possible
    01-26-11 11:27 AM
    WiFi allows you to use the internet and other data functions on your phone at the same time as you are on a phonecall, or means you do not have to drop what you're in the middle of to take the call.
    01-26-11 11:34 AM
    WiFi allows you to use the internet and other data functions on your phone at the same time as you are on a phonecall, or means you do not have to drop what you're in the middle of to take the call.
    good point, for CDMA users this is another nice thing
    01-26-11 11:37 AM
    Nope. The WiFi radio uses less power than your cell radio. While WiFi is on, it allows your cell radio to focus on one thing, voice. This allows the WiFi to handle all the data. The only thing that uses battery life is if your WiFi turns itself on and off every time your device sleeps. I believe BBs do not have to worry about this (while WiFi is on the WiFi radio never sleeps). It is recommended to turn WiFi off when you are not in a WiFi area. That can use battery power constantly searching for a WiFi connection.

On CDMA devices, WiFi also allows simultaneous voice and data to be achieved. 3G GSM devices have this ability without WiFi, but it uses much more battery life.
    01-26-11 11:45 AM
    WiFi is a must for me. I am on 200 MB AT&T plan and I love using WiFi whenever I can, I only use the 200 MB allowance for emails, BBM, and light web-browsing (mobile sites, no streaming etc) whenever I am nowhere near a usable WiFi hotspot. I will never consider any smartphone with no WiFi capability today (pretty hard to find anyway).
    01-26-11 11:50 AM
    I used it when I can and on unlimited plan...for now, lol!

I use wifi a lot to use UMA, something I need while at home as if I don't have it, my phone is a brick!

01-26-11 12:11 PM
    I use wifi whenever I can to save battery I see a large difference in battery life when connected to a wifi network. As well saves me from going over my data plan
    01-26-11 12:14 PM
    For me it is a must. The data speeds on WIND mobile are not that great so my WiFi is Much faster

01-26-11 12:14 PM
    I never turn the wifi off on my phone because I have networks at work, home friend's house, my coffee shop, even the grocery store has free wifi. I charge every night from about half because I use a holster so leaving the wifi on isn't draining my battery faster than I can handle.

But no, it is not a must have, there is no real significant difference in speed, I just find it useful to have options. Everything I do on wifi can be done about as fast and efficient on 3g.
    01-26-11 12:22 PM
    if you dont see a difference in speed its because you have the crappy BB browser probably.
    01-26-11 12:25 PM
    But no, it is not a must have, there is no real significant difference in speed, I just find it useful to have options. Everything I do on wifi can be done about as fast and efficient on 3g.
    I'm sorry but that is just not true. Sprints network (3G) is nowhere near as fast as a good WiFi connection over a cable/fios network. You must have terrible data speeds over your WiFi connection if this is the case.

Also, 3G is NOT more efficient than WiFi. I explained it in a different post within this thread.
    01-26-11 12:26 PM
    I always have my WiFi turned on. There is free WiFi almost everywhere I go. On most networks, WiFi is faster than 3G.
    01-26-11 12:26 PM
    if you dont see a difference in speed its because you have the crappy BB browser probably.
    I used Bolt for a long time but I tried to update once, and now I get nothing but some weird interface where I can't type or see links. I've looked at downgrading to other versions with no luck. I also will not use Opera because the trackpad cursor has low response, it's very annoying. I don't mind waiting a minute for a large page to load, especially since I can identify the browser as IE to get other sites like my bank to work.
    01-26-11 12:32 PM
    i have AT&T 3G and Verizon Fios 25/10 Mbps Wi-Fi service.
    AT&T claims to be the fastest 3G in all the carriers..but that's a different thread all together.
    anyway, there's a Dramatic difference between the 3G and the Wi-Fi downloads.

people who are saying there's no difference probably have a slower Wi-Fi service... like 1.0-1.5 Mbps..
    01-26-11 12:36 PM
    I'm sorry but that is just not true. Sprints network (3G) is nowhere near as fast as a good WiFi connection over a cable/fios network. You must have terrible data speeds over your WiFi connection if this is the case.

Also, 3G is NOT more efficient than WiFi. I explained it in a different post within this thread.
    Yeah I'm not sure what's going on, it's only slightly faster over wifi. My connection at work is blazing fast on a desktop connected to wifi.
    01-26-11 12:36 PM
    Yeah I'm not sure what's going on, it's only slightly faster over wifi. My connection at work is blazing fast on a desktop connected to wifi.
    Yea something must be wrong. You should be able to tell the difference pretty easily. Try running a speed test with WiFi on and then with 3G. I know RIMs proxy slows things down, but when I had my 9000 and 9700, WiFi was always much faster, and AT&T has the fastest overall data speeds in the US right now (at least they are claiming to, but I was getting 2-4Mbps with my iPhone 3GS).
    01-26-11 12:45 PM
    Never, ever turn my wifi off. Still get 2-3 days out of the battery.

Only have 2g in my area so wifi is a must plus the fact I am on a limited data plan.
    01-26-11 01:57 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD