MY APOLOGIES! We weren't on the same page. When we discussed seeing both icons, I was looking at the idle screen, not the 'start page'. I'm glad to know the Wi-fi is intuitive enough to override the data connection. I guess we need to clarify the differences between hotspot browser and internet browser.

P.S. Nice vid!
    Last edited by RegE; 06-22-10 at 06:47 PM.
    06-22-10 06:44 PM
    I just got the Bold (tour replacement).

I'm not yet ACTIVATED

Can I still use Wifi for some stuff or must the phone be activated for any functions? Like Bolt or BerryWeather or .....

Thanks in advance
    06-22-10 06:46 PM
    Good work guys, at least you don't have to switch browsers all the time.
    06-22-10 06:51 PM
    So to summarize, please verify if these are the right settings for the Verizon 9650 (I am on a BES):

1. Options->Advanced Options->Browser->Default Browser Configuration->Internet Browser

2. Options->Advanced Options->Browser->Default MDS Browser Configuration->Internet Browser

3. (While in Browser) Options->Browser Configuration->Browser->Blackberry Browser

4. (While in Browser) Options->Browser Configuration->Browser Identification->Blackberry

5. (While in Browser) Options->General Properties->Default Browser->Internet Browser

From reading this thread, it appears to make the most sense that Internet Browser should be the general default browser since I will be mainly using my blackberry on the 3G rather than wifi network. However, I would like it to automatically switch to hotspot browser when I am connected to wifi, i.e. my home router. Can someone please walk me through that?

Thanks so much!
    06-22-10 07:15 PM
    So to summarize, please verify if these are the right settings for the Verizon 9650 (I am on a BES):

1. Options->Advanced Options->Browser->Default Browser Configuration->Internet Browser

2. Options->Advanced Options->Browser->Default MDS Browser Configuration->Internet Browser

3. (While in Browser) Options->Browser Configuration->Browser->Blackberry Browser

4. (While in Browser) Options->Browser Configuration->Browser Identification->Blackberry

5. (While in Browser) Options->General Properties->Default Browser->Internet Browser

From reading this thread, it appears to make the most sense that Internet Browser should be the general default browser since I will be mainly using my blackberry on the 3G rather than wifi network. However, I would like it to automatically switch to hotspot browser when I am connected to wifi, i.e. my home router. Can someone please walk me through that?

Thanks so much!
    I'm on BIS

#3 is Internet Browser for me

Why do you want it to switch to hotspot browser when connected to WIFI? I seriously dont even think there is a purpose of hotspot browser cuz no one really knows what it does.

Just did a google search and this is what hotspot browser is - The Hotspot Browser is for entering a password before you can access the Internet on certain Wifi networks.
    Last edited by y2bandit; 06-22-10 at 07:26 PM.
    06-22-10 07:22 PM
    Here you go!

I agree with everything you said besides the text message part. I tested and text messages are not received when the mobile network is off. (did not test BBM)
    06-22-10 09:12 PM
    I agree with everything you said besides the text message part. I tested and text messages are not received when the mobile network is off. (did not test BBM)
    Ah OK. BBM works. You can test it out yourself by turning off mobile network and sending a message to a friend. SMS/MMS doesnt work when mobile network is off but emails as well. They do not receive.

Just tested to reconfirm by talking to my wife with WIFI on, 3G off.
    Last edited by y2bandit; 06-22-10 at 09:23 PM.
    06-22-10 09:20 PM
    Ok, I just finished intensive research into this browser thing and I'll paraphrase what I've gathered:

The 'internet browser' is intuitive and will allow your device to switch between Wi-fi and data network depending on the availability of each. If you use the internet browser, your page requests goes through RIM's DNS servers.

The 'hotspot browser' is not intuitive. If you're set to hotspot and you lose the connection, you won't have access to the internet. When using the hotspot browser, your page requests goes through your [local] Wi-fi network's DNS servers. Supposedly, surfing with the hotspot browser is faster as you're cutting-out the 'middle man'.

All that having been said, I surmise that if you're at the local coffee shop and you want to hop onto their network, you won't be able to if the device is set to internet browser. You'll have to set the device to hotspot browser to access their router, sign-on and navigate. Upon leaving the establishment, if you don't revert to internet browser, you won't have any internet capabilities.

No matter which browser you elect to use, it is advisable to always have your Browser Identification set to BlackBerry. This will allow the website that you've just navigated to know that you're using a mobile device and you'll get their mobile page in return.

If you sign-on to [or access] certain routers on a regular basis, you can save them in your profiles and prioritize them so that when you're in proximity, your device will identify and lock-in automatically.

That's all I've got! This is one of the most confusing and exhaustive issues I've encountered in a while. I need a nap now!
    06-22-10 09:48 PM
    if you go to Services Status it will tell you what each part of your phone is connected to... ie Mobile voice, BIS, BES...
    06-22-10 10:25 PM
    also, as you're internet browsing using the blackberry browser, if you are connected to the internet via wifi, it will show the wifi symbol in the upper right corner. if no wifi, then it will show the mobile network signal strength indicator in the upper right instead.
    06-22-10 10:28 PM
    I also think this may clear up some confusion. When you're in your browser:

(While in Browser) Options->Browser Configuration->Browser-> If you select Internet Browser or Hotspot Browser all you're doing is telling your phone how to proceed within those 2 environments. For example: you can set your phone to "use background images" in Hotspot Browser and deselect "use background images" in Internet Browser.

Originally, I thought I was switching back and forth from wifi to 3g from within the browser but all I was doing was changing the settings for how the phone would behave in each of those environments. Hope I'm being clear... and correct.
    06-22-10 10:57 PM
    ...(While in Browser) Options->Browser Configuration->Browser-> If you select Internet Browser or Hotspot Browser all you're doing is telling your phone how to proceed within those 2 environments. For example: you can set your phone to "use background images" in Hotspot Browser and deselect "use background images" in Internet Browser.
    Your're absolutely right! There's only two ways to change the browser:
    1) BROWSER > MENU > OPTIONS > GENERAL PROPERTIES > DEFAULT BROWSER.
    2) OPTIONS > ADVANCED OPTIONS > BROWSER > DEFAULT BROWSER CONFIGURATION.
    06-22-10 11:08 PM
    Your're absolutely right! There's only two ways to change the browser:
    1) BROWSER > MENU > OPTIONS > GENERAL PROPERTIES > DEFAULT BROWSER.
    2) OPTIONS > ADVANCED OPTIONS > BROWSER > DEFAULT BROWSER CONFIGURATION.
    Thanks RegE... I'm proud of myself for figuring this out. Maybe I won't wear my helmet on the short bus tomorrow. Heh Heh.
    06-22-10 11:11 PM
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by, "full screen turned off". If you have Wi-fi on, the Wi-fi icon will either be 'grayed-out' or illuminated. If it's illuminated, that means you're connected the the Wi-fi network - doesn't mean you have to be using it. If it's grayed-out, it means you're not connected to the Wi-fi network. From what I understand, the difference between internet browser and hotspot browser, is whether or not you want to connect directly to the internet vs. going through the carrier's network to access the internet. Also, the signal bars will always show as long as your radio is on and you have signal.

What I speak is from information I garnered from doing research on the internet when I was first introduced to mobile Wi-fi. I'm in no position to swear by it.

P.S. My device does not alternate between signal bars and Wi-fi icon. They're both always displayed.
    Must be a Verizon thing. But anyhow, here's what I mean by full screen - there's three screen shots below, first is full screen, second and third are not. Just gives a little more screen real estate for viewing. Press U to toggle back and forth. When I'm on wifi and connected, only the wifi logo shows. When I'm on 3G only, just the signal bars show. It doesn't seem to make much difference which browser is set to default. The only problem I have is when wifi is on, but not connected - some apps won't run and give the error message "this is a wifi service only...."
    06-23-10 08:39 AM
    ...The 'internet browser' is intuitive and will allow your device to switch between Wi-fi and data network depending on the availability of each. If you use the internet browser, your page requests goes through RIM's DNS servers.

The 'hotspot browser' is not intuitive. If you're set to hotspot and you lose the connection, you won't have access to the internet. When using the hotspot browser, your page requests goes through your [local] Wi-fi network's DNS servers. Supposedly, surfing with the hotspot browser is faster as you're cutting-out the 'middle man'...
    So hotspot is preferred still since it's faster and forces the wifi connection. Plus it doesn't go through the Blackberry DNS servers. I wonder if someone could write an app that would overrride the wifi error message and automatically switch from the hotspot to internet browser if no wifi connect is present.

This is really poor execution from RIM if isn't a way to better manage wifi without having to manually change the browser all the time.

Glad we know the answer, but I guess I don't like the answer.
    06-23-10 11:40 AM
    kjjb0204, I was mistaken! We weren't on the same page when referring to both icons being displayed. There's no difference between the Sprint and Verizon 9650's in that regard. My phone acts the same as yours! I was looking at the 'idle' screen vs. the 'browser page' screen. Also, thanks for the tip on the page minimization thing. I wasn't aware of that capability/function.

Outta curiosity, what happens when you're browsing the web via your Wi-fi connection, then step out of the network range - does the illuminated Wi-fi icon instantaneously transform into the signal icon? Is the browsing experience congruent and seamless?
    06-23-10 01:01 PM
    Don't know about transitioning from wifi to 3G on the fly. Haven't tested that yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-10 01:06 PM
    ***UPDATE***
    I conducted a little experiment with this Wi-fi today. I had by browser set to hotspot at home. I began to surf the web as I left the house. When I got out of range of my router, my device seamlessly transitioned to the data network with my browsing experience being unhindered, and my icon switched from Wi-fi to signal. I went to BestBuy and jumped on their router using the hotspot browser. After concluding my business, I departed and drove to the outer limits of their parking lot. I sat there for ten minutes and watched my connection fluctuate between data and Wi-fi, all the while, surfing flawlessly. When I returned home, my device automatically switched back to my router. It seems that if you have hotspot set as default, and you have your home network prioritized as #1, there's no need to worry about changing device settings. On a side note, on those occasions when I was browsing using the data network, I noticed the banner atop my page stated, "hotspot browser." ...a little confused about that; but, oh well. All's good to go! I'm gonna leave hotspot as default.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-10 05:51 PM
    Just a fyi, but you need to use the internet browser for stuff like OTA installs.

Using the hotspot browser as default is pretty good though, since it tends to load faster than the internet browser.
    Last edited by papped; 06-23-10 at 06:10 PM.
    06-23-10 05:55 PM
    >>if you have hotspot set as default, and you have your home network prioritized as #1, there's no need to worry about changing device settings.<<

That's what I thought but when I had hotspot as default, even if I switched browser settings to Internet browser from within browser options, several web sites (USA Today) would say, "this is a WiFi service, make sure you're in a WiFi hotspot..." and wouldn't connect. I had to go in and make my default "Internet Browser" for it to work. When I got home tonight and switched on WiFi service, it connected to my home router without me changing any settings and the configuration still says Internet Browser on the options settings. WiFi is lit and bright white. One of these days I'm going to get this figured out. I now see no reason to ever set the configuration to "hotspot browser" if (a) it won't connect if I'm out of WiFi range, and (b) it will connect to WiFi even if it's not set on hotspot browser. Any ideas??
    06-23-10 06:10 PM
    Hotspot browser bypasses RIM's servers. That's why it requires wifi and really is the only reason you'd use it.

Even if the Internet Browser can use wifi, everything still goes through BIS. So Hotspot browser works a bit faster on wifi because everything doesn't route through BIS... That also means you can actually use the Hotspot browser to access your local network (like your router on 192.168.0.1 or whatever). Try that on Internet Browser and it won't work. Why? Because you're going out to BIS so you're actually not within your local network on the browser even though you're using wifi.
    06-23-10 06:16 PM
    Hotspot browser bypasses RIM's servers. That's why it requires wifi and really is the only reason you'd use it.

Even if the Internet Browser can use wifi, everything still goes through BIS. So Hotspot browser works a bit faster on wifi because everything doesn't route through BIS... That also means you can actually use the Hotspot browser to access your local network (like your router on 192.168.0.1 or whatever). Try that on Internet Browser and it won't work. Why? Because you're going out to BIS so you're actually not within your local network on the browser even though you're using wifi.
    Very nice. Now we get the idea of the Hotspot browser
    06-23-10 06:55 PM
    I posted this in the WiFi Discussion Forum, but I figured I might as well post here as well and see if I get any answers...
    Hello all, I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me concerning using WiFi abroad so I can avoid massive charges when I get back. I am going to Greece for three weeks and want to take full advantage of the WiFi on my shiny new 9650.

To start, here is what I currently understand about using WiFi abroad:

The number one thing I need to worry about is making sure my mobile network is disconnected at all times. This will prevent roaming charges. PERIOD.

I will have fully functioning BIS (push email is all I care about) with WiFi, but only if BIS is supported in my location.

When abroad, I should leave "Data Services" to ON, but put "While Roaming" to OFF. If I put both to OFF, nothing will work.

At the bare minimum I can have only my browser working with WiFi, but with no BIS. Are there any options I need to change within the browser?

So are my above statements correct? Any tweaks needed? Thanks!
    06-23-10 07:19 PM
    Set the browser default to Hotspot, or you can use a 3rd party browser like Bolt and always leave Wifi checked in the settings.
    06-23-10 07:22 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD