I've been playing around with the wifi since this is my first blackberry with such groundbreaking technology. I have some basic questions, looked for some answers and am still confused. I'm on verizon by the way.

If I turn on wifi, am I assured that the 9650 will use the connection? Both my wifi and verizon connection are green, but does it default to wifi when browsing?

Is there a way to have hotspot be the default but if I turn off wifi the phone will revert to internet browser? It's a pain to have to keep switching based on the connection, can't the phone do this automatically?

What is the difference in the three browser types, blackberry, internet, and hotspot? What can my company see on each one? Is one more secure than another? Is one faster?

I consider myself somewhat technical but I can't figure out all the whacky BB settings for wifi.
    06-20-10 11:09 PM
    I've been playing around with the wifi since this is my first blackberry with such groundbreaking technology. I have some basic questions, looked for some answers and am still confused. I'm on verizon by the way.

If I turn on wifi, am I assured that the 9650 will use the connection? Both my wifi and verizon connection are green, but does it default to wifi when browsing?

Is there a way to have hotspot be the default but if I turn off wifi the phone will revert to internet browser? It's a pain to have to keep switching based on the connection, can't the phone do this automatically?

What is the difference in the three browser types, blackberry, internet, and hotspot? What can my company see on each one? Is one more secure than another? Is one faster?

I consider myself somewhat technical but I can't figure out all the whacky BB settings for wifi.
    To set Hotspot as the default for browsing. Go to Options - Advanced - Browser. Set it to Hotspot.

When using the browser, if you have Hotspot connection available, it will auto revert to internet browser. Once wifi is available, it will use the Hotspot for browsing.

As for the browser identifications, you have three choices of BlackBerry, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. I just leave mine on the default which is BlackBerry. I have not experimented with the others since the default works fine for me.

I am also on Verizon. My wifi at home is tons faster than the 3G because I am out in the country. As for which is more secure, I am not sure.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    06-21-10 05:53 AM
    When using the browser, if you have Hotspot connection available, it will auto revert to internet browser. Once wifi is available, it will use the Hotspot for browsing.
    Sorry, should say:

When using the browser, if you have NO Hotspot connection available, it will auto revert to internet browser. Once wifi is available, it will use the Hotspot for browsing.

It will switch automatically for you.

06-21-10 05:57 AM
    Sorry, should say:

When using the browser, if you have NO Hotspot connection available, it will auto revert to internet browser. Once wifi is available, it will use the Hotspot for browsing.

It will switch automatically for you.

I tried this on the way to work today. I had my home network and was connected before I left the house. I had Hotspot set as the default. Then whey I got to work I tried to connect and got the wifi error message "this is a wifi service..." on the browser. So I had to manually change to the internet browser to continue.

Is there no way to automate this? Is this a Verizon setting? Maybe there is an app that can manage this?

Frustrating...
    06-21-10 08:38 AM
    Im having the same problem mikos. I figured "Hotspot" meant it would auto. switch back and forth between WiFi and browser. I always have to switch to browser when im out of a WiFi area,and vice versa. Im with Rogers. Would love a solution for this as well.
    06-21-10 08:58 AM
    I have mine set as INTERNET BROWSER and I get connected to WIFI automatically. I do not have to change to HOT SPOT.

If you go to the WIFI Profile and edit your saved profile, you can set it to connect automatically or manually.
    06-21-10 09:09 AM
    I have mine set as INTERNET BROWSER and I get connected to WIFI automatically. I do not have to change to HOT SPOT.

If you go to the WIFI Profile and edit your saved profile, you can set it to connect automatically or manually.
    Does it use Wifi over 3G even if both are on with the Internet Browser? I read in another forum that if both are on, it will still use 3G as the default. So to get true wifi, you actually have to turn the 3G radio off.

I tried this yesterday and I swear my web connection was faster when the 3G radio was off and wifi on, rather than both on. I hope I am mistaken.
    06-21-10 10:22 AM
    Thanks y2bandit that fixed it for me. Set default to Internet browser and it switches to WiFi when im in a hotspot.

And Mikos, I tried wifi with the 3g off but I didnt find it any faster than normal. Could just be me though. I have never looked in to that. Hope its not as you say.
    06-22-10 12:37 AM
    Does it use Wifi over 3G even if both are on with the Internet Browser? I read in another forum that if both are on, it will still use 3G as the default. So to get true wifi, you actually have to turn the 3G radio off.

I tried this yesterday and I swear my web connection was faster when the 3G radio was off and wifi on, rather than both on. I hope I am mistaken.
    When I'm at home, WIFI is light up and not grayed out. The top banner says HOME which is what I named the profile. WIFI takes priority over 3G if you're connected when it comes to data. Downloading via WIFI with 3G connected is faster.

3G is still there as I need to have phone service obviously. Going to the browser, it states WIFI at the top right corner. Using iHeartRadio, there are two symbols. A normal signal bar as found on top right next to 3G when not using WIFI and when I'm using WIFI, the symbol changes to a different reception icon.

If you turn off 3G, you have no service for phone calls.
    06-22-10 08:04 AM
    If you turn off 3G, you have no service for phone calls.
    I thought this phone was capable of using WIFI for calls. However, I wasn't sure if some type of application (Skype?) was needed. Let's say I'm in a low/no signal area, but I've got wifi. Can't the phone be made to ring, via the wifi? Thanks.

sj
    06-22-10 10:16 AM
    I thought this phone was capable of using WIFI for calls. However, I wasn't sure if some type of application (Skype?) was needed. Let's say I'm in a low/no signal area, but I've got wifi. Can't the phone be made to ring, via the wifi? Thanks.

sj
    There is no WIFI calling unless you use Skype. If it was possible to make calls with WIFI, than whats the point of paying a monthly bill for cellphone service?
    06-22-10 11:05 AM

What is the difference in the three browser types, blackberry, internet, and hotspot?
    Having Wi-fi on means simply just that - it's on. It means your device's Wi-fi capabilities are enabled. It does not mean Wi-fi is being utilized. If your browser is set to 'internet', you will browse via your carrier's network. If the browser is set to 'hotspot', you will browse via the Wi-fi network you've connected to.

BlackBerry browser communicates to websites that you navigate to that you're on a mobile device and pushes the mobile version of their website. When internet browser is set, your device browses the web through your carrier's network. When hotspot is set, your device browses the web via the router you're logged-on to.
    06-22-10 03:33 PM
    Having Wi-fi on means simply just that - it's on. It means your device's Wi-fi capabilities are enabled. It does not mean Wi-fi is being utilized. If your browser is set to 'internet', you will browse via your carrier's network. If the browser is set to 'hotspot', you will browse via the Wi-fi network you've connected to.

BlackBerry browser communicates to websites that you navigate to that you're on a mobile device and pushes the mobile version of their website. When internet browser is set, your device browses the web through your carrier's network. When hotspot is set, your device browses the web via the router you're logged-on to.
    Wrong. As stated before, I have mine set to Internet Browser with WIFI on. When I use the BB browser, WIFI logo is turned on and visible on the top right corner of the browser. My iHeartRadio has two different signal icons for when 3G is used and when WIFI is used.

I'll go home and take a video to show.
    06-22-10 03:40 PM
    Wrong. As stated before, I have mine set to Internet Browser with WIFI on. When I use the BB browser, WIFI logo is turned on and visible on the top right corner of the browser.
    The illumination of the Wi-fi icon simply means Wi-fi is enabled and connected. It does not mean you're browsing using the local Wi-fi network solely. You're still using your carrier's network. If you want to browse using the local network router as a sole conduit to the internet, then you must have your device set to hotspot.
    06-22-10 03:58 PM
    The illumination of the Wi-fi icon simply means Wi-fi is enabled and connected. It does not mean you're browsing using the local Wi-fi network solely. You're still using your carrier's network. If you want to browse using the local network router as a sole conduit to the internet, then you must have your device set to hotspot.
    But when you're using the browser and have the full screen turned off, if it's using wifi, only the wifi logo shows up there. If wifi is on, but not connected and you're using carrier network, the signal bars will show, not the wifi logo.
    06-22-10 04:30 PM
    But when you're using the browser and have the full screen turned off, if it's using wifi, only the wifi logo shows up there. If wifi is on, but not connected and you're using carrier network, the signal bars will show, not the wifi logo.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by, "full screen turned off". If you have Wi-fi on, the Wi-fi icon will either be 'grayed-out' or illuminated. If it's illuminated, that means you're connected the the Wi-fi network - doesn't mean you have to be using it. If it's grayed-out, it means you're not connected to the Wi-fi network. From what I understand, the difference between internet browser and hotspot browser, is whether or not you want to connect directly to the internet vs. going through the carrier's network to access the internet. Also, the signal bars will always show as long as your radio is on and you have signal.

What I speak is from information I garnered from doing research on the internet when I was first introduced to mobile Wi-fi. I'm in no position to swear by it.

P.S. My device does not alternate between signal bars and Wi-fi icon. They're both always displayed.
    Last edited by RegE; 06-22-10 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Addendum
    06-22-10 05:00 PM
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by, "full screen turned off". If you have Wi-fi on, the Wi-fi icon will either be 'grayed-out' or illuminated. If it's illuminated, that means you're connected the the Wi-fi network - doesn't mean you have to be using it. If it's grayed-out, it means you're not connected to the Wi-fi network. From what I understand, the difference between internet browser and hotspot browser, is whether or not you want to connect directly to the internet vs. going through the carrier's network to access the internet. Also, the signal bars will always show as long as your radio is on and you have signal.

What I speak is from information I garnered from doing research on the internet when I was first introduced to mobile Wi-fi. I'm in no position to swear by it.

P.S. My device does not alternate between signal bars and Wi-fi icon. They're both always displayed.
    I would like to see this signal bar and WIFI icon both displayed. I'm uploading my video right now to show 3G and WIFI both on that shows WIFI icon only.
    06-22-10 05:55 PM
    Mine shows the wifi icon only, 3G and wifi both on. Another thing to ask regE, do you have the default theme on?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-10 06:01 PM
    Here are two excerpts from a CB thread that can be found HERE:

Internet Browser
    1. This browser is on every BlackBerry unless your BlackBerry is on a BES, and the administrator has explicitly disabled it. All web browsing from this browser goes via the BIS using the MDS-CS service.
    2. Since web browsing is going via MDS-CS, all of the same features that are listed above apply.
    3. It is certainly conceivable that a busy BIS can affect web browsing.
    4. Data path: BlackBerry <-> Carrier <-> RIM NOC <-> BIS <-> Internet

Wi-Fi Browser (sometimes called the HotSpot Browser)
    1. This browser is available if your BlackBerry has Wi-Fi (BlackBerry Bold, Curve 8320, etc.).
    2. This browser does not use any servers but goes directly to the internet.
    3. This is by far the fastest browsing experience since it is just you and the internet
    4. Data path: BlackBerry <-> Wi-Fi HotSpot <-> Internet

I could not find my original source of information; but I found this, which I must admit, confused me a little. The data path (above) for the internet browser does not include the Wi-fi network. I understood [from my original source of information] that the internet browser setting allowed the device to use Wi-fi to access the internet through the carrier's network.

Now, I'm gonna be up all night researching - trying to find definitive resolve.
    06-22-10 06:02 PM
    I would like to see this signal bar and WIFI icon both displayed. I'm uploading my video right now to show 3G and WIFI both on that shows WIFI icon only.
    Mine shows the wifi icon only, 3G and wifi both on. Another thing to ask regE, do you have the default theme on?
    Maybe the icon difference is a Sprint vs. Verizon thing. And, I am using the default theme, which is Sprint Precision Zen.
    06-22-10 06:07 PM
    I found some helpful info in the directions of all places. On page 33 of the book from Verizon it describes the Wifi logo and what it means.

White Wifi logo and network name mean you can send/receive messages and browse over wifi.

Grey Wifi logo and network name mean you are connected but cannot send/receive messages and browse over wifi.

Grey Wifi logo and no network name means wifi is on but not connected.

Now this does shed some light but we need confirmation that if both wifi and the 3G radio are on, which takes priority. I hope the device can think a bit because having to switch to hotspot browser all the time manually will get old real quick.
    06-22-10 06:13 PM
    I found some helpful info in the directions of all places. On page 33 of the book from Verizon it describes the Wifi logo and what it means.

White Wifi logo and network name mean you can send/receive messages and browse over wifi.

Grey Wifi logo and network name mean you are connected but cannot send/receive messages and browse over wifi.

Grey Wifi logo and no network name means wifi is on but not connected.

Now this does shed some light but we need confirmation that if both wifi and the 3G radio are on, which takes priority. I hope the device can think a bit because having to switch to hotspot browser all the time manually will get old real quick.
    I just made a video (124MB!!!). Uploading to my YouTube. I showed both 3G and WIFI on, 3G off and WIFI on.
    06-22-10 06:22 PM
    I would like to see this signal bar and WIFI icon both displayed.
    Mine shows the wifi icon only, 3G and wifi both on.
    Are you saying that the absence of your signal icon means that your radio is disengaged and you're on Wi-fi only? What happens if you receive an incoming call while your browsing the internet? My phone rings!
    06-22-10 06:24 PM
    Here you go!

Last edited by y2bandit; 06-22-10 at 06:47 PM.
    06-22-10 06:34 PM
    Are you saying that the absence of your signal icon means that your radio is disengaged and you're on Wi-fi only? What happens if you receive an incoming call while your browsing the internet? My phone rings!
    When Mobile Network is turned off (no 3G) and I'm on WIFI, it goes straight to voicemail.
    06-22-10 06:35 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD