Hello everyone. Couple quick WIFI questions. This is new to me. I really know very very little about computer stuff and terms, so bear with me please.

1) After setting up the WIFI at home using the numbers from my home router (i think that's what it is) does that mean that the WI FI will work everywhere there is WIFI ?

2) How do you know when you are using WI FI ?

Thanks
    Mike
    02-04-10 10:11 AM
    the wifi will work if there are open networks, meaning the owners did not put a password and left them open to share with people. You will know when you are connected to wifi by looking at your connection icon on your upper right hand corner. or by looking at your manage connections screen and it will show your wifi status.
    02-04-10 10:13 AM
    i hope this helps. and im assuming your using a storm 2
    02-04-10 10:14 AM
    mofoahh Thanks for the replies.

Yes it is a Storm 2 -
    Looking at thw WIFI in the upper right corner it is half (wi) is white w/black letters and the (fi) is opposite. It always looks that way. Is that what tells me it's on and operating?

Thanks.
    02-04-10 04:28 PM
    No it will not work everywhere where there is Wifi because some places make use of a proxy to connect you to their Wifi network and there is no setting to specify proxy unfortunately. RIM, get to work on this.....
    02-04-10 05:41 PM
    No it will not work everywhere where there is Wifi because some places make use of a proxy to connect you to their Wifi network and there is no setting to specify proxy unfortunately. RIM, get to work on this.....
    Help me understand what a proxy is and how its different. How can you tell if a wifi is using a proxy? Can RIM fix it with software?
    02-10-10 11:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD