What levels and variations of security does the WiFi on the new Blackberries support?
    After seeing the wifi video which seemed very slow has the new OS improved the speed in WiFi and also is the WiFi a paid service for use with phone calls or just a option to use for Web browsing within WiFi hot spots?
    09-23-09 02:47 PM
    From what I understand, the S2 in the video is not running the most updated OS and, when the actual S2 is released, it will have the most recent OS. This should eliminate some of the slowness seen in the video.
    09-23-09 03:02 PM
    I have a wi-fi questions too:

If you have a wi-fi connection, can you use voice and data at the same time?

Can you use the phone's wi-fi to tether without buying the tethering option from VZW?
    09-23-09 04:53 PM

If you have a wi-fi connection, can you use voice and data at the same time?

Can you use the phone's wi-fi to tether without buying the tethering option from VZW?
    Okay I'm a little confused, most computers that would have bluetooth for tethering would also have their own wifi nic... so there would be no reason to tether while on wifi.

And yes, while you're connected to wifi and the carrier network you can use both voice and data.
    09-23-09 05:48 PM
    Okay I'm a little confused, most computers that would have bluetooth for tethering would also have their own wifi nic... so there would be no reason to tether while on wifi.

And yes, while you're connected to wifi and the carrier network you can use both voice and data.
    Wow! That really was a dumb question, huh? I'm getting so excited about S2 I can't think straight!

Cool about the voice/data. Will the Storm automatically use wi-fi for data when in range? Meaning as long as I have a wi-fi connection, voice will always be available to send/receive calls?
    09-23-09 05:53 PM
    ok ok hold on.... bundy, while on wifi prefered, you can do voice and data (voice cdma/data wifi)

if it works like other berries for GSM, u can set wifi to prefered and whenever it is in range, it will use that network, e.g. your home wifi network. If its a password protected network, then u would have to set it up manuelly and put in the router passcode.

teg, no need to tether if u have wifi. now if ur PC or laptop doesnt have a wifi card, your best bet is to get one. Now if your talking about routing ur connection to ur computer thru ur phones wifi, I never seen that done before and doubt it will be possible. And if it did,I assure u vzw will block it! lol
    09-23-09 07:31 PM

I kind of have the same question, but in a different way: Will you be able to make your WiFi enabled BB into a MiFi device and share the BB wireless connection to WiFi enabled computers? This would be cool!
    09-23-09 07:41 PM
    i think u mean using ur phone basically as a wifi card? i doubt it. and if it ever was possible, I doubt verizon would allow it

VZ is not goi ng to add wifi if its going to suck up money out of its other services it charges for.... especially tethering.

but its prob not necessary. If u have a wifi network at home, odds are u have a laptop or a PC with a wifi card enabled. And if u go to a starbucks with ur laptop, every standard laptop should have its own wifi card.... at least in this day in age.

but hey..... options are always good
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 09-23-09 at 07:47 PM.
    09-23-09 07:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD