I am a total newbie so please be gentle!!

Storm 2 will have wifi so does that mean you still need to by a data plan and if you do have to buy the plan then what is so great about the phone having wifi??

Again be gentle
    10-13-09 02:06 PM
    I am a total newbie so please be gentle!!

Storm 2 will have wifi so does that mean you still need to by a data plan and if you do have to buy the plan then what is so great about the phone having wifi??

Again be gentle
    For Verizon, you will most definitely be required to have a data plan. There's no getting around that, it's required on all Blackberry smartphones that Verizon carries. Most other US (and I'd venture to say Canadian carriers... I think? I can't confirm this!) carriers require data plans for Blackberry and other smartphones, if not all US carriers by now.

So, yes, you will either pay $30/month or $45/month, depending if you want BIS or BES. The amount will be reduced obviously if you get some kind of corporate or other discount. I don't know how much data/web & e-mail packages are on other carriers, but I think they are mostly comparable.

The big thing with wi-fi is that, in theory, wi-fi speeds are faster than 3g speeds, so if you do a lot of video watching, it would be much faster to do it over wi-fi. Also, if you are talking on the phone and currently have wi-fi access, you can receive e-mails or browse the web, along with other things that use data (since CDMA, which is the network technology Verizon Wireless uses in the US isn't voice & data capable simultaneously). So, wi-fi would enable data while the 1x network would cover voice, giving you simultaneous use of the two.

I hope that helps you
    10-13-09 02:12 PM
    Yes data plan is needed. Read the 100plus threads on this subject through out crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 02:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD