Assuming that the Storm 2 will have wifi, will a data plan still be needed? VZW bill is hefty...
    05-29-09 10:31 AM
    yes it will I'm sure. BlackBerry Data Package automatically comes with a BlackBerry. It isn't possible to add a BB to a line and not have the BB data package come with it.

Also if I remember correctly you need the BB Data Package to even work..without it I think Wifi is locked down.
    05-29-09 12:35 PM
    It's not that wifi is locked without a dataplan, it's that without a BB data provisioning plan, a BB does not function on anything but voice. Everything (well almost) works across the BIS/BES proxy infrastructure. Blackberries are not like the traditional smartphones when it comes to their IP data stack/functions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 02:08 PM
    yes, the reason being that VZW requires a data plan on all smartphones and dumb phones with html browsers released after Nov 14th, 2008. So, yes it will. The Samsung Omnia, which is a winmo device that has wifi and was released at the end of November, also requires a data plan.
    05-29-09 02:35 PM
    This is probably an example of my inexperience when it comes to owning a Blackberry, but I was under the impression that any and all Blackberries required a data plan by default?
    05-29-09 04:20 PM
    This is probably an example of my inexperience when it comes to owning a Blackberry, but I was under the impression that any and all Blackberries required a data plan by default?
    On Verizon yes, on other carriers no. Also other carriers have different plans with different data usage allowances per month.
    05-29-09 07:30 PM
    On Verizon yes, on other carriers no. Also other carriers have different plans with different data usage allowances per month.
    Gee, am i still using my Iphone (deactivated since I got storm in Nov) everywhere there is wifi, making and receiving calls (skype) and playing with all of my apps, all the while paying $0 for service??? The answer is yes. TY ATT and apple for allowing this!
    05-29-09 10:31 PM
    Gee, am i still using my Iphone (deactivated since I got storm in Nov) everywhere there is wifi, making and receiving calls (skype) and playing with all of my apps, all the while paying $0 for service??? The answer is yes. TY ATT and apple for allowing this!
    WOW thats awesome!
    05-31-09 07:38 AM
    If you had no data plan you would have no internet/email access whenever you were away from wifi. I wouldn't be satisfied with that at all.

Grey

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 10:44 PM
    I currently have a pocket pc with wifi through VZW. I can opt-out of the data package, and only use the phone systems. When I'm at home, or the office, I can simply hook into the wifi, and work all data function EXCEPT I do not recieve MMS messages. I've been told that is due to the nature of the paticular phone I have
    VZW has given me the ability to turn on/off the data package, but that's why I'm looking to go to a BB, for the constant connection.
    06-01-09 03:15 PM
    I currently have a pocket pc with wifi through VZW. I can opt-out of the data package, and only use the phone systems. When I'm at home, or the office, I can simply hook into the wifi, and work all data function EXCEPT I do not recieve MMS messages. I've been told that is due to the nature of the paticular phone I have
    VZW has given me the ability to turn on/off the data package, but that's why I'm looking to go to a BB, for the constant connection.
    SMS/MMS run over the voice channel, not data.
    06-01-09 07:17 PM
    Guinea MMS runs over data. When I had my treo back in '06 before data was a requirement, I argued over why my data connection was coming on when I would send an MMS and why messages where not showing up as part of IN Pix/Flix messaging. They told me sorry, there's nothing we can do, it's a data item for smartphones. Dumbphones would pass them through as regular messages.
    06-03-09 12:53 AM
    Does storm have wifi?
    06-03-09 12:54 AM
    Does storm have wifi?
    No. Storm 2... probably/ hopefully.
    06-03-09 01:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD