I have the torch on the sasktel network in saskatchewan canada. My wifi only works when mobile network is connected. My question is, is my wifi connection working when I am connected or am I just using my mobile data plan still? Speeds seem the same. Reason I ask is when I go to another country I wanna be sure its my wifi working and not my data plan incurring charges in another country. Thx all!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-10 09:00 PM
    Simplest answer is to look at the colour of your Wifi icon, the "ice cream cone" of 4 waves up top, beside Bluetooth logo.

If it's white, you are definitely using Wifi. If it's grey, then not.

I don't understand why you would need to have the mobile network connected. So, with Wifi connected and the icon white, if you go to Manage Connections and un-check Mobile Network only, what happens exactly?

PS Remember to update your profile when you have a chance to reflect your new device.

PPS Welcome & congrats on your new BB!
    10-25-10 09:12 PM
    Now I went on wifi and it works fine with my mobile network off. No idea why or what I did wrong before. Anyways well thanks for your help!!! Much appreciated!
    10-25-10 11:54 PM
    The BB icon will follow the active connection. If BIS is not seen over wifi, the BB icon will be beside 3G. If the BB icon is beside the wifi icon, you are using wifi.

10-26-10 12:11 AM
    Right! Good point; I forgot about that. I'm not using the stock theme, so I didn't even think of it.

10-26-10 01:23 AM
    Download SmartWiFi as well. Its a great, cheap app that will detect a "already setup" wifi and automatically connect you to your wifi and when you are not in the Wifi area, it turns the service off so that you aren't using battery power continuously searching for a hot spot. I did for my home network and it works great. When I am at work in my "bunker" it automatically shuts off wifi.

PS I am from SaskTel as well and have the torch. Absolutely loving it and to be honest, I spent a few bucks on themes and consistenly have gone back to the original stock 6 theme. Not that there aren't some out there that people like.

PM me where you're from.
    10-26-10 09:17 AM
    Hey guys. Just got my torch 2 days back, everything seems fine except wifi. When I connect to any wifi, the logo goes white but the BB icon does not
    Follow the wifi logo. It remains next to the 3G icon. Anyone have an idea?

Cheers.

10-26-10 11:09 AM
    "The BB icon will follow the active connection. If BIS is not seen over wifi, the BB icon will be beside 3G. If the BB icon is beside the wifi icon, you are using wifi."

Related to this ^^^ comment from shansmi as well as to the question posted by mpshah, is that true in all operating systems and on all BBs? It doesn't seem to be the case on my Bold 9650 using 5.0.0.975. To check it, I turned on WiFi then turned off my Mobile Network altogether. The 3G strength indicator disappeared but the BB icon also went away totally. But I was still able to surf the web and retrieve emails over WiFi, but without any kind of BB icon. Then I turned 3G Mobile Network back on and the BB icon appeared again, but it was right beside the 3G indicator. For reference, I'm using the BB stock theme so nothing has been changed about my indicators.

I had never known anything about the BB icon following the connection being used, so now I'm intrigued.
    11-18-10 01:59 PM
    "The BB icon will follow the active connection. If BIS is not seen over wifi, the BB icon will be beside 3G. If the BB icon is beside the wifi icon, you are using wifi."

Related to this ^^^ comment from shansmi as well as to the question posted by mpshah, is that true in all operating systems and on all BBs? It doesn't seem to be the case on my Bold 9650 using 5.0.0.975. To check it, I turned on WiFi then turned off my Mobile Network altogether. The 3G strength indicator disappeared but the BB icon also went away totally. But I was still able to surf the web and retrieve emails over WiFi, but without any kind of BB icon. Then I turned 3G Mobile Network back on and the BB icon appeared again, but it was right beside the 3G indicator. For reference, I'm using the BB stock theme so nothing has been changed about my indicators.

I had never known anything about the BB icon following the connection being used, so now I'm intrigued.
    No, you can't compare anything to a 5.0 OS. The BB logo did not "follow" the connection until BB6.

As far as the WiFi ice-cream-cone-looking logo being solid white but the BB logo staying by the 3G, I wouldn't have thought it would ever do that. Certainly not a scenario most people would ever run into. I'd do a battery pull, as it might just be a glitch.

By the way, the BB logo following is only part of the default BB6 theme. Some 3rd party themes might have this but not necessarily.
    The WiFi icon being solid white is what you're looking for

11-18-10 09:31 PM
    Just noticed a new feature of BB6 that should help those that were having questions about this.

If you open the Manage Connections app, there's a new item added at the bottom called Service Status.
    Look at the 2nd & 3rd boxes, for BIS and BES. If they say Wi-Fi, then you're definitely using Wi-Fi.

Mobile Voice should say the connection is Mobile Network, and Mobile Network should say your carrier and the available wireless service, ie 3G, EDGE, etc.
    11-19-10 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD