Having just switched to the cheaper AT&T data plan, I want to be cautious and make sure I don't go over my limit. Here is my question: if I use my wifi (connected with no problems) will that be what's updating my weather bug, Twitter feed, Facebook, etc.? Or do I need to do something special to use wifi at the house rather than 3G? Thanks everyone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-10 11:01 PM
    Having just switched to the cheaper AT&T data plan, I want to be cautious and make sure I don't go over my limit. Here is my question: if I use my wifi (connected with no problems) will that be what's updating my weather bug, Twitter feed, Facebook, etc.? Or do I need to do something special to use wifi at the house rather than 3G? Thanks everyone

Good question, as I've been wondering the same thing myself.

07-12-10 01:08 AM
    as long as you do have a BB data plan, those apps should be updating through the wifi connection as opposed to the mobile network. as long as you are properly connected to the network (white wifi symbol), you should be set.
    07-12-10 06:01 AM
    Awesome! Thanks so much for the info!

If anyone else has a question or comment I'd still like to hear it

07-12-10 10:42 AM
    A recent thread discussing apps that do or do not work on WiFi is here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/wif...s-list-462539/

Good luck.
    07-12-10 11:31 AM
    also sometimes when I want to be 100% sure I shut-off my 3G radio and only use wif-fi. (of course your phone won't ring but data will go through...)
    07-12-10 11:52 AM
    as long as you do have a BB data plan, those apps should be updating through the wifi connection as opposed to the mobile network. as long as you are properly connected to the network (white wifi symbol), you should be set.
    I'm currently using the wifi feature with the SIM card removed and my wifi logo is still grey. I did the same thing with the SIM installed and the logo looks the same. Any ideas why this is happening? It seems the only way to be exactly sure would be to have the logo white, not grey.

07-12-10 09:03 PM
    Without a SIM card inside, you don't have the service books so you can't use BIS or any service.

If the WiFi logo is white, everything goes by WiFi. As always you can test it by leaving one day of full WiFi and check your data usage with AT&T for that time.
    07-13-10 01:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD