Does wifi help with phone (talking) reception or is it just for data retrieval?

thanks, jed
    07-11-10 03:37 PM
    What device? What carrier?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-11-10 03:43 PM
    Does wifi help with phone (talking) reception or is it just for data retrieval?

thanks, jed
    Work's with data, I could be wrong, but I beleive your network handles's the call reception.
    07-11-10 03:58 PM
    Wifi is purely for browsing and some data transfer. (sorry)

To be able to assist you with your reception they would have to route the call through your internet to your router, through your WiFi.

Don't get me wrong there are companies that do this but usually it requires a special plan and a monthly fee. On their end they have to pay to attach your IP address to the switchboard, on your end you need a QoS (Quality of Service enabled) router to make sure your calls don't sound like garbage.

If you have paid for this plan you would know it and then yes you could use your phone over your WiFi.
    07-11-10 04:16 PM
    T-Mobile has UMA calling, which works over Wi-Fi. No other major US carrier offers it.

07-11-10 04:21 PM
    Thanks for all the quick replies. I have Verizon Bold and a router in the house where my Verizon signal is not that strong. I understand now.....that explains why signal meter on the phone remains the same regardless if router is on or not.

thanks again, jed
    07-11-10 04:22 PM
    T-Mobile has UMA calling, which works over Wi-Fi. No other major US carrier offers it.

Ah awesome. I know up here in Canada we have quite a few companies that will do it and the deal really isn't that bad if you choose it instead of having a home phone. The Long Distance rates are really reasonable too.
    07-11-10 04:25 PM
    Yep T-Mobile does it and don't cost any extra...least for me it don't. Now if I didn't have to constantly reset my router in order to get UMA...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-10 08:37 PM
    Yep T-Mobile does it and don't cost any extra...least for me it don't. Now if I didn't have to constantly reset my router in order to get UMA...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    If your router supports it, get DD-WRT, OpenWRT, or Tomato.
    07-11-10 09:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD