Okay so I was searching the forums for about an hour and couldn't find an answer to my question.

I was wondering if since I have a data plan and access to wifi, if I connect to wifi while still connected to my rogers network will the browser, the facebook app, the windows live app and the bbm app switch to using wifi instead of the data plan? because I don't want to waste my bandwidth. I turned the network off and just used wifi for all of them so I know for a fact that they all work on wifi, i just want to be able to have my data plan on while I have my wifi on so it's no hassle to leave the house and turn it on, or recieve calls/texts etc.

Thanks,

jamal
    12-05-09 11:39 AM
    Yeah, most apps have the ability to run off which ever is best preferred. Each application has an option to chose which network would work best. BBM works over wifi, but you need a dataplan to have it work over wifi. I have radio turned off most of the time and have BBM still get and send messages, same with email.
    12-05-09 01:39 PM
    but would they switch to run off wifi automatically instead of using 3G? cause like i know browser uses wifi cause it says at the top what its using (either 3G or the WiFi logo) which really helps but messenger and facebook dont have that at the top so i don't know what its running off of. thats why im wondering if it goes to wifi automatically if im connected (sort of like the priority) and then go to 3G if there isnt any. if it doesnt do that already how can i set them to do that? (mainly bbm, facebook, windows live)
    12-05-09 01:45 PM
    if you open some program's options it'll ask you if you prefer wifi over 2/3g when wifi is available. Beejive has an option like that
    12-05-09 01:48 PM
    There are many apps that can run on wifi. There is a thread in the WiFi forums that will tell you specifically which apps do and don't. To list them here and to tell you would be a complete waste of time as this topic has been created over a million times. Not telling you go F off, just telling you that you will find this in the WiFi Forums.
    12-05-09 01:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD