Hey guys,
    i'm in canada next week but i need my blackberry with push service and all.

can i connect to a wifi and then have push service? without using my (extremly expensive) roaming?

please help me!

-fabian
    10-02-09 04:22 AM
    No, the "push" is a BB service. It only works with the respective carriers cell service agreements.
    10-02-09 04:21 PM
    If you connect to Wi-Fi you can still get all your push services no problem and it won't cost anything.
    10-02-09 04:24 PM
    Lol... Well then, what'll it be...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-09 04:47 PM
    Unless Radius can provide additonal info or clarification, I am going to stick to my "no" WiFi push.

If WiFi push works, then it should work on all phones, netbook, or notebook with a WiFi connection. When do BIS/BES and the carrier services come? What are we paying Blackberry for?
    Last edited by leskchan; 10-02-09 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Typo
    10-02-09 04:56 PM
    I also have to agree with no. I would start by calling my carrier and checking to see what they can offer for roaming in canada. You would not want to be surprise with a huge phone bill
    10-02-09 04:59 PM
    The OP is saying he wants to bring his BB to Canada and have his push service, so I am assuming he already has a BB plan from his carrier and is getting push services now.

Assuming he already has push service with his carrier, then you can get push email and whatnot through Wi-Fi. In fact, I do that all day at work.

Unless it's just a Curve 8900 feature? I have no idea.
    10-02-09 05:50 PM
    Radius, when you use your service, do you have both cell wireless and wifi on at the same time? I am just curious, with just WiFi, how does your carrier and BES/BIS locate and contact your phone?
    10-02-09 05:58 PM
    My radio is physically off in my building, we get no cell signals in our concrete and steel bunker so I shut it down to save the battery. We have wireless access points all over though, so I just hook in through there like everyone else. And it's BIS.

The only difference may be UMA, but I don't think that has a bearing on it. When I go to the Wi-Fi diagnostics I see a section at the bottom where the device is negotiating a BIS session with my carrier and is handed some servers to communicate with.

So I'm assuming the device proactively searches out a BIS server relevant to my carrier when I connect to any WAN.
    10-02-09 06:06 PM
    @Radius
    I searched around and found that you are right! You have to turn radio off and wifi on and then you have push service via wifi!
    thank you!!
    10-02-09 06:10 PM
    Ah is that the trick, good to know!
    10-02-09 06:11 PM
    @Radius
    I searched around and found that you are right! You have to turn radio off and wifi on and then you have push service via wifi!
    thank you!!
    Actually, maybe you can still leave the radio on, just make sure the phone data connection is set to "off when roaming" and you can still have regular phone service if needed. That should work as well I think as no data will go through your regular phone connection.
    10-02-09 06:13 PM
    Radius, thanks for the info.

I am happy to be wrong. Now I have a reason to wait for Sprint to have next generation of BB phone w/ WiFi.
    10-02-09 06:56 PM
    Radius, thanks for the info.

I am happy to be wrong. Now I have a reason to wait for Sprint to have next generation of BB phone w/ WiFi.
    This is my first BB with Wi-Fi and I've only had it a few weeks. World of difference from my 8310. Hope you don't have to wait long!
    10-02-09 07:30 PM
    Nifty! I just tried it with the Wife's 8220, and it worked!
    10-02-09 07:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD