Greetings all, first post in here. I apologize if this is in the wrong forum or if I'm repeating a dead weight subject but after researching my problem to death and not being able to consistently fix it, needed to state my specifics. Please move to the right thread if I goofed up making it in the wrong place.

Thanks in advance for any tips or insight and for reading this lengthy post!

I had to buy a new router recently, I bought a Linksys WRT54G2 router version 1.5. I've had very minimal success with my Blackberry WiFi Internet connection (no data plan w/ T-Mobile), both through the standard hotspot browser and Opera Mini 4.2. I've tried plenty of reconfigurations of my router and setting changes to make the BB Internet work. I have no problem connecting to the router with my laptop.

Current settings...

I have updated to the latest/greatest firmware of the router - Ver.1.5.01 Build 8.

Mixed Wireless Network Mode (not B-only or G-only). I've tried just G-Only.

Wireless Channel 6 (I've tried channel 2 and 3).

Wireless SSID Broadcast is enabled (haen't ever tried to disable it)

WPA2 Personal Security, TKIP+AES Algorithms (have also used WEP and just AES Algorithm)

Disabled MAC Filtering (also have enabled it in the past)

I have not tried to restrict any Internet access to any source (separate item on my router from the MAC Filtering).

I have not messed with Gateway or Ports (yet) even though I've read something about them, specifically Ports 500 and 45? Or something similar.

Anything else I am failing to considering?
    Last edited by jdbrechtel; 10-21-09 at 10:06 PM.
    10-21-09 10:03 PM
    Connections / Wifi Options. Menu / Wifi Diagnostics.

Look for an error message to explain the connection error.

I've had very minimal success with my Blackberry WiFi Internet connection (no data plan w/ T-Mobile), both through the standard hotspot browser and Opera Mini 4.2. ...
    Once you get the Wifi connection sorted out, you will be able to use the native BlackBerry Hotspot Browser and download the optional Opera Mini Browser.
    10-22-09 10:25 AM
    You're not alone in this. I also purchased a WRT54G2, and am having problems with it connecting with my Bold.

Since I installed the WRT, the Bold will connect, and following the diags screen, obtain an address. It wont however, activate the connection. The Wifi indicator comes on, but is grayed out. The diags point to the facts that the wifi negotiation is correct and completed, dhcp negotiation is correct and received, and it should be ready to go. But the wifi indicator remains on, but "not lit".

No previous problems with connecting to my Netopia DSL modem/router, and no problem with a friends Netgear. Only this WRT54G2.
    11-10-09 11:11 PM
    Same here. I have never had any problems with my Bold's wifi. Until I purchased a Linksys WRT54G2. It's driving me crazy. My wife's Nokia connects to it instantly. But even if my Bold is 1 foot away from the router, still it wouldn't connect.

Altough I have noticed that when I leave the wifi on, the Bold somehow connects to the router after a few minutes but this rarely happens. Most of the time I cannot get any connection and I can't afford to leave it to chance.

Is there any way to fix this?
    11-15-09 10:53 AM
    Open your router's GUI and go to wireless -> advanced wireless use these settings:

Beacon 50
    DTIM interval 3
    Fragmentation Threshold 2304
    RTS Threshold 2304

press apply.

Next go to wireless setup and set the channel to auto, and make sure SSID broadcast is enabled. apply and save your settings. Unplug the router and turn off the BB wait 30 seconds then plug the router in - when the router has finished re-booting and is stable turn on the BB.

Do you have any other wireless devices on your network? If so you may have to set-up QoS
    11-17-09 08:19 AM
    Open your router's GUI and go to wireless -> advanced wireless use these settings:

Beacon 50
    Thanks Steve. Figured it out last night. I didnt try all of the settings that you suggested, but simply changing just the Beacon to any setting OTHER then 100 fixed it. I currently just changed the Wireless beacon interval to 75 (just a wild guess) and its working fine now.

I figured it had to be something with the beacon (sync). It would establish the connection and authenticate, but never actually "connect".
    11-17-09 08:39 AM
    Open your router's GUI and go to wireless -> advanced wireless
    seems to solve my problem too.
    thanks!
    Last edited by ang_pilosopo; 11-22-09 at 04:23 AM.
    11-22-09 03:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD