When I try to connect to WiFi it says it "failed to obtain an IP address." Is this the problem most people are having in this forum or is this something different?

And also, I noticed the buttons (send, bb, back, end) are actually heat sensitive. So whenever I click (usually with part of my nail) sometimes it doesn't register..and is extra annoying. Anyone else having this problem?
    10-29-09 10:34 PM
    i had the same problem on my home wifi. switching to WPA from WEP ended up being the fix. i also manually keyed in the IP addy, subnet mask, etc.
    11-25-09 09:29 PM
    I find that the WiFi connects when it feels like it. Plus the signal on the WiFi is not that strong unless I am right next to my router?
    11-25-09 09:46 PM
    I find that the WiFi connects when it feels like it. Plus the signal on the WiFi is not that strong unless I am right next to my router?
    It definitely connects when it wants to. Sometimes it connects in seconds and other times it takes minutes. I can't figure what takes so long. I only keep one profile saved. Hopefully RIM will tweak this in the near future. I am very pleased with my signal strength though. Mine works great anywhere in the house and even outside.
    11-25-09 10:19 PM
    I conquer. It seemed to me that for about the first couple of weeks my phone would choose when and when not to connect to my WIFI. Yet for what ever reason over the past couple of days it has been able to stay connected without any hick ups.
    I also noticed that my battery life has gotten a whole lot better. I'm not exactly sure how this us real but I'm not complaining.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 10:33 PM
    Hello,

Does anyone else notice that Wifi connections don't really seem all that impressive through the apps? I know the browser is slow because of other issues, but loading images and such in things like Facebook, Myspace, and Ubertwitter (just examples) doesn't really seem any faster to me then the 3G connection.

Now my 3G connection is pretty darn quick, but I was expecting a bit more from wifi, and it doesn't seem to be living up to my expectations. Also it seems that in some apps you have to specifiy Wifi, would be easier if it was just Wifi or 3G which is delegated by what is currently enabled, like how it works on the iPhone.

Anyone agree?
    11-26-09 07:57 PM
    I connected to my wifi through WPA and all is good. Went through the wifi connect tutorial and entered my pass, and everything connected fine.

11-26-09 08:15 PM
    Various issues here to. Not much faster than network cdma speeds. That's very disappointing

11-26-09 09:06 PM
    It pays off when you are in an area with limited or no cell coverage. If there is a wireless router nearby you can still acess email and the internet.
    11-29-09 12:01 PM
    It seems to me that people are expecting WiFi to be faster than 3G... That all depends on your internet connection... My WiFi is NOT faster than 3G at all.. When I have full 3G service, I can DL at about 800KB/s whereas my WiFi is only 180KB/s... But again, thats because I only have 1.5mb internet connection... So basically, if you are using WiFi when you have full coverage, its not worth it at all unless you have faster than an 8mb connection..
    11-29-09 01:55 PM
    While connected through WiFi go to:

Find My IP Address

You will find that even though you are connected through WiFi, you are still connected to BIS via a proxy. This is so you can receive emails, PINs and BB IMs while on WiFi.

My personal opinion would be to choose BIS via proxy or
    a straight connection to the internet with my router.

This may be the reason why it takes a few minutes for the WiFi connection to be established, and why there is no difference in speed.

Last edited by mudavo; 11-29-09 at 03:09 PM.
    11-29-09 03:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD