Greetings,

I found this discussion http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=298989 about setting up the browser to use WiFi but I still have a couple of questions.

If I have my browser setup for Hotspot, will it automatically switch to the network if WiFi isn't available?

Along with that, the real newbie part of my question, if I have the browser set for Hotspot, how does that affect other apps like Facebook, UberTwitter, weather apps, etc? Will they also prioritize on WiFi?

Thanks for any advice or information. I just got my first BlackBerry on Monday and so far I'm very pleased with just how few questions I've had about it.

Rob
    02-18-10 09:20 AM
    As far as I understand, that will only affect the browser.

Most BB apps are designe to run throught BIS/BES. If they do not offer a WiFi connection offer, that means they 99% chance just wont work. Some apps thou, do work over WiFi if the device is registered to BIS. BBM will still work, even if you turn the carrier connection off.

What happens is simple: While the browser is accessing using WiFi, the apps are still on BIS.

Welcome to the forums.
    02-18-10 09:39 AM
    Thanks for the reply. It looks like your sig has a couple of pretty helpful links in it, I'll check those out.
    02-18-10 11:45 AM
    Wi-Fi
    802.11b/g enabled
    Wi-Fi Alliance Certifications: WPA/WPA2 Personal and Enterprise, WMM, WMM Power Save, Wi-Fi Protected Setup
    Cisco CCX certification
    Wi-Fi access to BlackBerry Enterprise Server
    Wi-Fi access to BlackBerry Internet Server
    Direct IP web browsing over Wi-Fi
    Support for UMA
    Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) requires support from your carrier. Sprint is not a UMA supporter.

That is important becasue you get a different level of service with UMA. All voice, SMS, BIS and third party applications will use the high bandwidth Wifi connection if available.

Without UMA support, only your Hotspot Browser, (Direct IP web browsing over Wi-Fi), can use Wifi. Voice, SMS, BIS and third party will still require carrier access.
    02-18-10 11:57 AM
    Thanks Reed, that clears it up some more. Voice, SMS etc I'm ok with going over the network. I'm not a huge data user, just more curious than anything about how everything works.
    02-18-10 12:23 PM
    That so makes me want UMA... Wonder if by 2020 brasilian carriers will have that
    02-18-10 04:14 PM
    The beautiful thing about an interactive fourm, we all learn something when a question is raised.

I have just learned: Wi-Fi access to BlackBerry Internet Server is functionly equal to UMA, except for voice/SMS.

If I now understand correctly, Wifi with Sprint supports Email, Messenger, Browser and third party apps.

02-20-10 12:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD