I just got my bold a few days ago and just remembered that I haven't set up my wifi yet.

When I tried to connect to my network at home, it said my router was setup to use a secure login via PIN instead of network password. I got the pin number but didn't feel like turning my computer on just to access the router config to see if I could get this to work before figuring out why.

Now I know I can still login to the router via password.

What I'm wondering is what is the benefit of this PIN method of logging in? I am hoping for something along the lines of: automatically connects to wifi when in range and turns off my wifi when not, or maybe faster speeds, but those are the only 2 things that I could see making this worth it.

Also I'm not sure what I would do in the router setup screen anyway.

Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-10 12:02 AM
    There are no advantages in speed or anything like that. It is just a different way to connect. Whatever way you choose to connect will auto connect when you are in range.

What do you mean by turns off your wifi when out of range though?
    11-26-10 12:43 AM
    The way wifi works is it will automatically connect and disconnect to a remembered network. This means any network you've saved or already enetered the password before.

11-26-10 01:10 AM
    I'm pretty sure the PIN login requires you to configure the router by setting up a "safe" list of PINs that the router will accept. It's an added layer of security so only the router admininstrator can enable a new connection. Otherwise, anyone who knows the password and the SSID can set up their device to connect.

Our local Barnes & Noble store is like that - the hotspot picks up well but you can't authenticate until you register your PIN with a BN employee. After that, connection is automatic.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    11-26-10 09:43 AM
    For auto wifi on and off, you can get an app like SmartWifi that uses cellphone tower triangulation to get your location and will auto enable/disable your WiFi.

11-26-10 09:45 AM
    Ah smartwifi sounds pretty cool I was wondering if there was a way gps could turn my radio on or off so I don't waste battery

11-26-10 10:21 AM
    For auto wifi on and off, you can get an app like SmartWifi that uses cellphone tower triangulation to get your location and will auto enable/disable your WiFi.

+1 Smartwifi saves a ton of battery life for me. Well worth the money and is currently on sale in the crackberry app store for $1.99
    11-26-10 10:28 AM
    Uh oh smart wifi is 80% off for black friday so I picked it up and am currently testing it out. I'll give my verdict on it later if I can figure out how it works. It seems like it might just do it automatically which would make "setup/config" nonexistent!

11-26-10 12:43 PM
    I've been using smart wifi now and at first it never turned off my wifi. I wish it would just turn it off when my SSID isn't available and then scan for it every 30 min or something until it gets it, if I am in the right area. Also not sure why it uses triangulation and not a gps radius. It seemed like the wifi stayed on when I drove somewhere 3.5 miles away which is well out of my networks range (sorry high powered antennae).

I'm sure the reasoning is that gps locking all the time may use even more battery then just leaving the wifi enabled.

Either way its a really cool app although I think my battery life has decreased slightly.

11-26-10 11:28 PM
    As of last night at midnight my battery was at 91%, now at 3pm it is 53% with wifi on all night and today with moderate internet browsing. When I went to panera bread for 4 hours today (without connecting to their wifi) smart wifi kept my wifi on, but not connected. This probably dominated my battery life because panera is only 3 miles away.

I think this means that
    1) Smart wifi would have been better off using a gps approach or more strict approach in disabling wifi
    2) Smartwifi does not substitute for manually turning wifi on/off as needed since it is not as smart as its title may infer
    3) It is a good "safety" net to help you turn it off when well out of range (more than 3 miles) from your network

I know I kinda turned this into a smart wifi thread, hopefully that's cool

11-27-10 02:12 PM
    Smartwifi and BatteryEx is good together. BatteryEx will turn off wifi when not is use (time out) and Smartwifi will auto connect when in range.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    11-27-10 04:51 PM
    Smartwifi and BatteryEx is good together. BatteryEx will turn off wifi when not is use (time out) and Smartwifi will auto connect when in range.
    Are you currently using this combo because I'm testing it out but so far it seems like if I go out of range of my wifi it turns off the wifiradio and then "smart"wifi turns it back on and they battle until I get back within range, which I'm hypothesizing will use more battery.

Seems like I'll have to see though could be a good one

11-28-10 12:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD