Can anyone tell me if this is normal. I have an 8900 on T-Mobile (UK) and right now I am having all kinds of data connection problems. It says GPRS in the top corner but nothing works. My wife has a Pearl on the same contract and her's is working so I know it's not service round here.

However - this is the bit that confuses me. I turn on WiFi and open up the browser but if I have no phone signal, then it tells me it can't connect. Which leads me to conclude that the browser isn't using the WiFi at all, but it going via GPRS.

Is this normal? How can I force it to go via WiFi? How can I tell at any time if data is coming via WiFi or via GPRS?
    09-24-09 10:23 AM
    T-Mobile UK does not support Unlicenced Mobile Access (UMA).

When UMA is active, you will see that in place of the GPRS indicator and you are using the high bandwidth Wifi connection for both voice and data.

In your case, you can set your Browser Defaut to Hotspot and it will use the Wifi connection instead of GPRS.

Options / Advanced Options / Browser. Highlight the Default Browser to select Hotspot.
    09-24-09 10:29 AM
    T-Mobile UK does not support Unlicenced Mobile Access (UMA).

When UMA is active, you will see that in place of the GPRS indicator and you are using the high bandwidth Wifi connection for both voice and data.

In your case, you can set your Browser Defaut to Hotspot and it will use the Wifi connection instead of GPRS.

Options / Advanced Options / Browser. Highlight the Default Browser to select Hotspot.
    Okay.....this has confused me even more:

What do you mean by "using the high bandwidth Wifi connection for both voice and data"? Surely WiFi is data and the voice goes via the voice connection?

Secondly - changing the browser....would that mean I need to change it to Hotspot when at home and on my WiFi, and then change it back when out and about and wanting to use GPRS?

Sorry if I am being dim.
    09-24-09 11:10 AM
    is this a tmo branded 8900 or an unlocked version?
    09-24-09 11:44 AM
    is this a tmo branded 8900 or an unlocked version?
    It's T-Mobile branded.

It's giving me a nightmare because I am getting GPRS in the top right, but Manage Connections -> Services Status -> tells me that BIS is not connected. No email, nothing :-(
    09-24-09 02:43 PM
    Data Plan?
    09-27-09 10:38 PM
    All sorted over the weekend. First support guy said that everything was fine on the account, BIS was on and working, web and walk (unlimited data) was on and working. Claimed that because I deleted an email account on the BIS, all the service books needed to be resent and these could take 24hrs. After that EVERY answer he gave was "could take 24hrs". Somehow I think he was trying to get rid of me. Probably because he didn't like the fact that I corrected him when he said no email or internet would work because I didn't live in a 3G signal area......numpty.

Nice lady on Saturday looked at my account and said "no worries - let me push the service books to you. They'll take thirty minutes and I'll call you back to make sure they work."

Twenty minutes later everything is working fine. Fifteen minutes after that I get same lady from T-Mobile call me and apologise for being five minutes late!

She was called Sam and worked in BB Support.....might be worth keeping that name, guys!
    09-28-09 02:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD