=====
    The rep is wrong, I have mine set up with my home wifi, make sure you enter a password if your network is password protected.
    +2 I have mine connected to my home WIFI. My router is a Linksys WRT54 and it works great.

You might need to bring up the browser and go to bookmarks and then hotspot login page. http://www.blackberry.com/select/wifiloginsuccess/

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    06-14-10 05:46 PM
    Downloading an application is not a network speed test... Downloading applications takes longer due to the actual app install and verification going on during the download.
    06-14-10 05:47 PM
    Why couldn't you guys try this bandwidth meter?

CNET Bandwidth Meter: Online Speed Test - CNET Reviews
    06-14-10 06:05 PM
    my WIFI is blazing fast when its on! Much faster then Verizons 3g network! I always make sure my browser is set to "hotspot" browser though as it helps with the speed of WIFI it seems even more
    Where is this option?
    06-15-10 09:42 AM
    Where is this option?
    From the browser:

Menu > Options > Browser Configuration > select Drop Box next to the word "Browser:" > select Hotspot Browser > Menu > Save Options
    06-15-10 09:46 AM
    The rep is wrong, I have mine set up with my home wifi, make sure you enter a password if your network is password protected.
    We did. My bf has a G1 Android phone and his connects fine. He did mine and all I had was the "white Dash". When I went into the wi-fi screen it shows my Netgear router with a green tower (like it's connecting) but then it drops.
    06-15-10 10:08 AM
    +2 I have mine connected to my home WIFI. My router is a Linksys WRT54 and it works great.

You might need to bring up the browser and go to bookmarks and then hotspot login page. BlackBerry | Now Connected

i never knew about that page. Do you do that after you connect to Wi-fi?
    06-15-10 10:09 AM
    From the browser:

Menu > Options > Browser Configuration > select Drop Box next to the word "Browser:" > select Hotspot Browser > Menu > Save Options
    Do you keep the HotSpot Browser on all the time? Or do you just go into it when you put wi-fi on?
    06-15-10 10:10 AM
    =====

Do you keep the HotSpot Browser on all the time? Or do you just go into it when you put wi-fi on?
    I have my default set to hotspot in advanced browser options. If I am not near a hotspot, it will switch automatically to internet browser.

Just did a test loading "Day in Pictures" at USA Today. 3G took about 12 seconds while the WIFI tool 3 seconds. My home internet is only 756kb up and down.

06-15-10 03:33 PM
    Tried the wifi today for the first time. Very slow page load up and used alot more battery than Bolt or even the BB browser on Sprint 3G. Not very impressed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-10 03:41 PM
    The limiting factor is the bold's processor. It only has around a 600MHz processor, much slower than other phones like the EVO 4G which have a 1GHz processor.

It doesn't matter how fast it can get data from Wifi if it can't render it quickly enough to keep up.

You can test this by turning on Wifi (make sure you see the wifi icon in the browser to ensure you are using it), go to a big website and then see that the data transfer arrows will be on only briefly while the phone downloads the data, and then for several seconds afterward the phone will chug away processing the data before it shows the webpage.
    Last edited by bk0; 06-15-10 at 07:18 PM.
    06-15-10 07:15 PM
    ===== ===== /QUOTE ====

i never knew about that page. Do you do that after you connect to Wi-fi?
    It should already be a bookmark in your browser and yes, you go to that page after connecting to the hotspot.

06-15-10 08:52 PM
    It should already be a bookmark in your browser and yes, you go to that page after connecting to the hotspot.

So I still have a white dash where a green check mark should be. When i go into settings it says I'm not connected. Also the wifi symbol is still grey. But i did notice the browser was a lot faster. So i don't understand why the phone is reading "not connected". When I tried this at Starbucks i got a green check, connected and a white wifi symbol.
    06-16-10 12:39 AM
    =====

So I still have a white dash where a green check mark should be. When i go into settings it says I'm not connected. Also the wifi symbol is still grey. But i did notice the browser was a lot faster. So i don't understand why the phone is reading "not connected". When I tried this at Starbucks i got a green check, connected and a white wifi symbol.
    Go into wifi options. Select the profile. Edit the profile. Make sure that "Allow inter-access point handover" is checked. Then go to the browser login page that is bookmarked. Also, make sure the browser is set to hotspot browser.

06-16-10 03:29 AM
    My WiFi is fast. Really fast compared to 3G.
    06-16-10 05:56 AM
    Go into wifi options. Select the profile. Edit the profile. Make sure that "Allow inter-access point handover" is checked. Then go to the browser login page that is bookmarked. Also, make sure the browser is set to hotspot browser.

I tried all of this and still the same issue. When I opened the browser it even tells me "Wi-fi needs to be connected to use the Hotspot Browser" which means mine isn't connecting. I might have to delete the profile and start from Scratch. Otherwise I'll call Verizon. The people at the stores know nothing unfortunately!
    06-17-10 10:04 AM
    I tried all of this and still the same issue. When I opened the browser it even tells me "Wi-fi needs to be connected to use the Hotspot Browser" which means mine isn't connecting. I might have to delete the profile and start from Scratch. Otherwise I'll call Verizon. The people at the stores know nothing unfortunately!
    I had issues with mine connecting at first.
    I unplugged the power cable from my router.
    I left my router unplugged for about 30 seconds.
    I plugged it back in so it could reset.
    After my router rebooted, my Bold was able to connect to it fine after that.
    I have to do that to my router quite often.
    It tends to lock up when a new device is trying to log on for some reason.
    I may need a new router. Who knows. That's the fix for me as of now.
    06-17-10 10:10 AM
    The limiting factor is the bold's processor. It only has around a 600MHz processor, much slower than other phones like the EVO 4G which have a 1GHz processor.

It doesn't matter how fast it can get data from Wifi if it can't render it quickly enough to keep up.

You can test this by turning on Wifi (make sure you see the wifi icon in the browser to ensure you are using it), go to a big website and then see that the data transfer arrows will be on only briefly while the phone downloads the data, and then for several seconds afterward the phone will chug away processing the data before it shows the webpage.
    In Windows, you can tweak tcp/ip settings like RWIN and such to control the flow of data and not overload the processor... anyone know if settings such as these exist in the BB OS?
    06-26-10 07:52 AM
    Mobilespeedtest.com is a website I found searching through the forums. You can try that to compare.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-10 02:42 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD