IIs anyone else somewhat underwhelmed by the Wifi performance? For me, it doesn't seem significantly faster than 3G. I figured it would be BLAZING fast.
    06-13-10 09:27 PM
    It would depend on the type of router you have along with the type of internet connection you have through your ISP.
    06-13-10 09:31 PM
    Well, I'm getting 15megabits Download and 500Kb upload on my macbook. Plus, I was getting lackluster performance on my friend's wireless too.
    06-13-10 09:44 PM
    Agreed. I'm hooked up to my wi-fi at home and really don't notice a difference at all. Maybe my expectations were set to high, but a bit of a dissapointment.
    BUT- I'm still obsessed with my 9650. *obsessed*

*(in case anyone else loves Brick from The Middle)!!!!!
    06-13-10 10:20 PM
    I love it too. The other thing I'm noticing is that the battery life (after a few days) is killer. I haven't used it all that much today, but I took it off the charger at around 8:30AM and its now almost 11:30pm and I still have 85% left!
    06-13-10 10:24 PM
    My WiFi on my home network is twice as fast as 3G. It connects automatically once the profile was saved. Loading web pages and downloading apps is significantly faster at home on WiFi vs. out in the real world.
    06-13-10 10:30 PM
    KTJPSY ... I wish I could say the same. It seems like its about the same speed. I am going to try BOLT and see if maybe its any faster.
    06-13-10 10:32 PM
    My WiFi on my home network is twice as fast as 3G. It connects automatically once the profile was saved. Loading web pages and downloading apps is significantly faster at home on WiFi vs. out in the real world.
    That's been my experience so far as well. On WiFi, my downloads have gone very quickly.
    06-13-10 10:34 PM
    downloads have gone very fast for me. page loads dont seem significantly quicker
    06-13-10 10:55 PM
    I have Verizon FiOS (advertisd at 50 mbps) at home and my WiFi connection on my phone is lightning fast here. I've been just floored by how comparable this is to my laptop. Yesterday I briefly connected to a Netgear router and still felt like the speed was comparable to AT&T's 3G speeds (as experienced on an iPhone 3G). So far, I haven't felt the urge to fidget while I wait for a page to load. I'm very pleased with my combination of phone and wireless service at home.

Edit:
    Just ran a speed test and apparently I'm getting about 48 mbps on the laptop when I'm right next to the router, but only about 6 mbps when I'm about 50-75 feet away, which is where I do most of my mobile internet browsing. Where can I run a speed test for my BB? Is there a mobile-specific version?
    Last edited by ifhts; 06-14-10 at 02:28 AM.
    06-14-10 02:15 AM
    Mine is slightly faster than 3G. Not by much though. It's still great to have for those times when you're in a hotel with a week signal, while being able to take advantage of free WiFi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-10 03:54 AM
    Oops - still listed as a Tour owner but now have the Bold 9650. I would love it if someone would explain how this works. Do people keep wi-fi on all the time? Does the phone then choose or do you have to enable the wi-fi each time you use it. Sorry for the stupid question Thanks
    06-14-10 04:42 AM
    my WIFI is blazing fast when its on! Much faster then Verizons 3g network! I always make sure my browser is set to "hotspot" browser though as it helps with the speed of WIFI it seems even more
    06-14-10 05:50 AM
    Oops - still listed as a Tour owner but now have the Bold 9650. I would love it if someone would explain how this works. Do people keep wi-fi on all the time? Does the phone then choose or do you have to enable the wi-fi each time you use it. Sorry for the stupid question Thanks
    You have to choose the option either the wi fi is on or off and keep it off if you are not using it or it will put more drain on your battery.

06-14-10 06:45 AM
    I downloaded the Gmaps app on wifi and it took 8 minutes ... I started using 3G, and it still said about 8 min.
    06-14-10 11:08 AM
    I downloaded the Gmaps app on wifi and it took 8 minutes ... I started using 3G, and it still said about 8 min.
    Were you trying to download it from the Google Mobile application or a direct link. It takes longer for some reason to download it from the Google Mobile application than it does as a direct link for some reason.

06-14-10 11:11 AM
    guys, i think it would be helpful to post real results measured from your phone... that way its a true comparision... people saying mine's super fast or I don't notice anything isn't really helpful in comparing and contrast... there's a app called speed test... you can run it on your 3g network then test it on your wifi network to compare real results...
    06-14-10 01:53 PM
    guys, i think it would be helpful to post real results measured from your phone... that way its a true comparision... people saying mine's super fast or I don't notice anything isn't really helpful in comparing and contrast... there's a app called speed test... you can run it on your 3g network then test it on your wifi network to compare real results...
    Providing a link to the application your referring to would be helpful. Doing a quck search for "speed test" didn't give me the results I was looking for right away.

06-14-10 01:58 PM
    Were you trying to download it from the Google Mobile application or a direct link. It takes longer for some reason to download it from the Google Mobile application than it does as a direct link for some reason.

yes, I did DL with the gmail app.
    06-14-10 02:14 PM
    Providing a link to the application your referring to would be helpful. Doing a quck search for "speed test" didn't give me the results I was looking for right away.

I agree....lets compare the results. Speedtest is now a paid app, and it looks like there is a bunch of other stuff that comes with it that I'm not interested in. Are there other options for speed testing?
    06-14-10 02:15 PM
    yes, I did DL with the gmail app.
    It's been that way for a while. It's not just the 9650. It did it with my previous BlackBerry as well. Downloading from the application takes forever. It wasn't always like that. Use the mobile GMail sites to download applications instead.

06-14-10 02:19 PM
    My experience with the various wifi's I have tried are barely faster or about the same as V's 3G. I just s tick to 3G unless I'm in a spot with no service.
    06-14-10 02:33 PM
    Agreed. I'm hooked up to my wi-fi at home and really don't notice a difference at all. Maybe my expectations were set to high, but a bit of a dissapointment.
    BUT- I'm still obsessed with my 9650. *obsessed*

*(in case anyone else loves Brick from The Middle)!!!!!
    How did you get it hooked up at home? When I tried mine, I never got a "green check". Instead it stood at a "white dash". I went to the Vzw store and the rep says you can't hook up to your home wifi b/c that's considered Tethering. That I can only use wifi at an open wifi hotspot (i.e. Starbucks).
    06-14-10 03:18 PM
    Okay this isn't very scientific but I loaded abcnews.com web page using wifi and then without wifi. Wifi loaded the page easily 5 times as fast or faster. It was pretty equivalent to my Lenovo laptop 400S running Windows 7 64 bit with SSD drive. WIFI ROCKS!!!
    Last edited by Nightthumper; 06-14-10 at 03:33 PM.
    06-14-10 03:24 PM
    How did you get it hooked up at home? When I tried mine, I never got a "green check". Instead it stood at a "white dash". I went to the Vzw store and the rep says you can't hook up to your home wifi b/c that's considered Tethering. That I can only use wifi at an open wifi hotspot (i.e. Starbucks).
    The rep is wrong, I have mine set up with my home wifi, make sure you enter a password if your network is password protected.
    06-14-10 05:23 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD