Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I would like to know if it is possible to use Blackberry functions like browser or Opera on my home wifi without paying for data. Also, will Pandora work without paying for data on wifi?

TIA,
    MAUNCH
    11-29-09 05:30 PM
    Yes, you can use the Hotspot (Wifi) browser and opera, etc. without a data plan. You can also use Bolt which supports flash, the others do not. I don't know about Pandora as you cannot use it outside the USA and Canada.
    11-29-09 06:35 PM
    Following your advice, I just switched my browser to "Hotspot Browser" under "Default browser configuration" located in "Browser" of "Advanced Options" from "Options." When I try to browse with the "Browser" on the menu, it asks me to enable data service (I disabled it), which I am trying to avoid. Also, when I go to Opera 4.2, I get error 900 and it says "Tunnel failed." Both these happenings disappear when I turn on data service which I have one free month of. I am just trying to find workarounds before it expires. Btw, know any ways to use Googletalk without service?

Thanks again,
    MAUNCH
    11-29-09 06:49 PM
    You gotta enable data or it won't work.
    I am sorry I can't remember the name of the app, but it forces other Blackberry applications to connect over WiFi when you don't have a data plan.
    Search the forums and you'll probably find it.

Good luck!
    11-29-09 07:10 PM
    I think you can pretty much use everything as long as your connected to wifi (obviously) however i never really understood why anyone would get a bb without a data package......
    11-29-09 11:16 PM
    Let's clear this up. I DISABLED data service. And now the signal meter in the corner reads uma or edge in LOWERCASE. I got this particular BB assuming I could use data service programs on wifi normally, with only my DSL and wifi router. As of now, it DOESN'T WORK. If this in fact, does work for you, please tell me exactly HOW your BB is configured in terms of wifi options. Thanks again, MAUNCH
    11-30-09 09:14 PM
    Ok for everyone that will say i don't get it here goes, i live and work in central america and use mostly prepaid sim cards, they do not allow data plans with the exception of panama and it is expensive for slow edge service. coming off an iphone this has been a nightmare for me trying to get anything much useful to work under wifi. i have read for days and can use the default browser to access earthlink email, and yahoo, but refuses to give me acess to gmail always the same error " a communication failure....or server bus". i also tried tiggit and will not connect has a java error, and logicmail also fails to connect. so simple put has anyone really got one of these things to use gmail in any way shape or form, preferable a mail client and if so exactly what steps and of course with the data plan off or the carrier disabled....i am giving this until friday then time to try nokia i guess....if it helps i am using an unlocked Tmobil handset.

thanks to anyone that can help

rick
    11-30-09 09:50 PM
    I have the 8520 with no data plan (only messaging) and I can use most web browsing over WiFi.
    12-01-09 02:10 PM
    OK, but did you try to access gmail using web browser or tiggit or logicmail? that was my point/question. for some reason i can access yahoo or pop mail like earthlink using the browser and wifi but not gmail (IMAP)...

thanks
    12-01-09 04:20 PM
    It appears to me as though google and blackberry have conspired to make it impossible to use google mobile apps (the ones downloadable OTA from Google Mobile) without a data plan from a carrier. I am able to use Opera or the Blackberry web browser to access the web via wifi, but not google mobile apps like email.

If anyone has found a way to get around this, I am sure many of us would like to know how it is done.

In my case, I am frustrated because I am using a Vodafone "callya" pay as you go sim card in Germany, which does not support data at all. But I am nearly always near a wifi hotspot and would like to use my blackberry to access google mobile apps which are really quite terrific.

Thanks!

Tobias
    12-15-09 02:21 AM
    and logicmail also fails to connect. so simple put has anyone really got one of these things to use gmail in any way shape or form, preferable a mail client and if so exactly what steps and of course with the data plan off or the carrier disabled

rick
    LogicMail works for me on WiFi without a data plan. Make sure you go into General Settings and select WiFi.

See this discussion for apps that work without a data plan.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/bla...se-wifi-29376/
    12-18-09 12:32 PM
    Let's clear this up. I DISABLED data service. And now the signal meter in the corner reads uma or edge in LOWERCASE.

And I've been telling you to ENABLE it Otherwise nothing data related will work.

I got this particular BB assuming I could use data service programs on wifi normally, with only my DSL and wifi router. As of now, it DOESN'T WORK.

Some apps (most of which come preloaded on the device) do require a data plan to work and will not connect over WiFi unless forced to by Aerize WiFIX.

If this in fact, does work for you, please tell me exactly HOW your BB is configured in terms of wifi options. Thanks again,
    MAUNCH
    Friend, is the WiFi logo on the home screen bright white of gray?

WiFi is only working when the logo is white. Gray means you turned the feature on, not that is it working. Having the HotSpot's show on the top and the white logo will indicate you have a working connecting.

Mine will NOT turn white while Data is set to off. From what I understand, you can turn the network off but not the Data Service option off.

Edit: Not sure if its the same on OS 4.6 but on OS 5.0 you gotta set to Hotspot browser under Browser Settings and General Settings, both accessible by hitting the menu key while on the browser and going for Options.
    Last edited by diegonei; 12-18-09 at 03:42 PM.
    12-18-09 01:56 PM
    you need to enable DATA. i am a wifi only BB user meaning no BIS/BES and that was my problem before thought i needed to disable Data bec i was using only wifi but no, please enable it. worked for me.

Manage connections > Mobile Network Options > Data services : ON
    12-30-09 05:54 AM
    02-07-10 09:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD