Will I be able to get the WiFi Only and use my Verizon USB card?
    I can't afford another 30 to 60 bux a month
    11-10-10 09:37 AM
    there's no usb port on playbook
    11-10-10 09:48 AM

DAMIT all to ****
    11-10-10 09:52 AM
    You could get a Verizon MiFi to replace your USB modem. It does what is basically the same thing, and I expect the data costs are the same, but it would work with the PlayBook. It even supports using it via USB for computers that don't have WiFi.
    11-10-10 09:59 AM
    You could get a Verizon MiFi to replace your USB modem. It does what is basically the same thing, and I expect the data costs are the same, but it would work with the PlayBook. It even supports using it via USB for computers that don't have WiFi.
    oooo I have a PC with no WiFi - would I have to buy something to put in there?
    11-10-10 10:02 AM
    Will I be able to get the WiFi Only and use my Verizon USB card?
    I can't afford another 30 to 60 bux a month
    IT IS ONLY AVAILBLE WITH WIFI.

There is no radio in it, so there is no 3G monthly charge. Later models will have the 3G/4G and monthly contracts.
    11-10-10 11:40 AM
    There is a mini usb port.... I think.
    11-10-10 11:40 AM

Not true .. look at BlackBerry - PlayBook Tablet PC - BlackBerry PlayBook Specs Pricing and More at BlackBerry.com

7" LCD display, 1024 x 600 screen resolution
    5.1" x 7.6" x 0.4" (130mm x 194mm x 10mm)
    0.9 lbs (400g)
    Built-in Micro USB connector
    Multi-touch capacitive screen
    Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n

To the OP .. on the same page, you can read 3G access via existing BlackBerry smartphone service plan that should do it for you !
    Last edited by Briard; 11-10-10 at 11:50 AM.
    11-10-10 11:46 AM
    As far as I can tell from the Verizon website the MiFi works over WiFi or USB. So you can use USB for your computer, and WiFi for your PlayBook. I don't know if you can do both simultaneously, it does support multiple simultaneous WiFi connections. I'd ask someone at Verizon first though, I'm just going off the website.

IT IS ONLY AVAILBLE WITH WIFI.

There is no radio in it, so there is no 3G monthly charge. Later models will have the 3G/4G and monthly contracts.
    OP is asking about using their own cellular modem.

There is a mini usb port.... I think.
    USB ports come in two types, A and B. A for computers and other things you plug USB devices in to. B is for the USB devices. It looks like the PlayBook has a B-style connector, meaning it's for connecting the PlayBook to a computer, not the PlayBook to peripherals. Because of USB's architecture you cannot connect two peripherals together. I'm hoping it will have an AB port which lets it be both, but I wouldn't count on it. Even if it did it won't have the right drivers.
    11-10-10 11:47 AM
    USB ports come in two types, A and B. A for computers and other things you plug USB devices in to. B is for the USB devices. It looks like the PlayBook has a B-style connector, meaning it's for connecting the PlayBook to a computer, not the PlayBook to peripherals. Because of USB's architecture you cannot connect two peripherals together. I'm hoping it will have an AB port which lets it be both, but I wouldn't count on it. Even if it did it won't have the right drivers.
    Is there an adapter that can be used? Or can you intall drivers?
    11-10-10 03:26 PM
    Is there an adapter that can be used? Or can you intall drivers?
    You cannot adapt a B-style to an A-style. Absolutely, no way, never. Any device with this adapter is an A-style (host) device with a B-style plug. Unless RIM builds in support for host mode (possible but not likely) there's nothing we can do about it. There's still bluetooth, and the possibility of building a companion device that supports host mode, but I don't expect to ever see a host mode USB modem.

As for drivers, I give that a 99.99% certainty of no. I don't have any statements from RIM one way or the other, but that just not how these things work.
    11-11-10 02:26 AM
    Not true .. look at BlackBerry - PlayBook Tablet PC - BlackBerry PlayBook Specs Pricing and More at BlackBerry.com

7" LCD display, 1024 x 600 screen resolution
    5.1" x 7.6" x 0.4" (130mm x 194mm x 10mm)
    0.9 lbs (400g)
    Built-in Micro USB connector
    Multi-touch capacitive screen
    Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n

To the OP .. on the same page, you can read 3G access via existing BlackBerry smartphone service plan that should do it for you !
    i was talking a standard USB port like on a laptop that you plug in the Verizon Internet Card into
    11-11-10 06:55 AM
    You cannot adapt a B-style to an A-style. Absolutely, no way, never. Any device with this adapter is an A-style (host) device with a B-style plug. Unless RIM builds in support for host mode (possible but not likely) there's nothing we can do about it. There's still bluetooth, and the possibility of building a companion device that supports host mode, but I don't expect to ever see a host mode USB modem.

As for drivers, I give that a 99.99% certainty of no. I don't have any statements from RIM one way or the other, but that just not how these things work.
    I THINK I get it.

i was talking a standard USB port like on a laptop that you plug in the Verizon Internet Card into
    Is there any type of adapter that goes from micro-usb to standard usb A-style that would allow plugging in the WiFi card like dsquared2 would need?
    Last edited by drjay868; 11-11-10 at 10:36 AM.
    11-11-10 10:27 AM
    OK... This is BS. I tried looking it up and am now more confused than ever. I see micro USB, mini USB, USB-A, USB-B (printers?), USB-F (female?), and USB-M (male?) so far. I have no idea which is which or used for what.
    11-11-10 10:35 AM
    OK... This is BS. I tried looking it up and am now more confused than ever. I see micro USB, mini USB, USB-A, USB-B (printers?), USB-F (female?), and USB-M (male?) so far. I have no idea which is which or used for what.
    There's three different sizes: standard, mini, and micro. They're different sizes but work exactly the same and you can adapt between them. Each those then has A and B style plugs and sockets. A sockets are for hosts (computers), B sockets are for devices. You'll often see A plugs on devices, the important point there is that it's just the plug, think of it like a built in cable. The device is still a device and not a computer (it doesn't have an A style socket). The original vision for USB was that each device or computer had a socket, and the plugs were on the cables.

The only thing that mixes this up is Micro AB. Those ports are dual mode and auto detect what is connected to them, letting them be either a host or a device.

You always have to make a connection from a host to a device. Using USB hubs you can connect multiple devices to one host, but you can NEVER connect multiple hosts together. Devices cannot be connected directly to each other, there must be a host.

The PlayBook, like a BlackBerry, will likely be a device and not a host. It's possible RIM will include a dual-mode port, and I'd really like them to, but based on the picture it looks like a standard Micro B socket.

A USB modem is a device, not a host. This is also true for cameras, mice, keyboards, etc.

A USB standard A to standard B cable is what you use from a computer to a printer. Your BlackBerry cable is USB standard A to USB micro or mini B (newer BBs micro, older mini). The connection always has to go from host (A socket) to device (B socket or A plug).
    Last edited by taylortbb; 11-11-10 at 01:41 PM.
    11-11-10 01:39 PM
    Google "USB On-The-Go" that's what you're asking about.
    11-11-10 03:13 PM
    Google "USB On-The-Go" that's what you're asking about.
    Yes, that would be the Micro AB port I was referring to. Unfortunately from the photos it looks like a standard Micro B port, though it could still be AB.
    11-11-10 04:05 PM
    However, you can purchase that WiFi creator that connects to Verizon's network. Its meant to be used with the iPad. Just a thought.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-10 07:02 PM
    I do this with my Virgin mobile mifi and ipod.. Depending on price of the playbook, I may be prone to get it.. I could use my mifi..What's the rumored price range?
    11-12-10 10:02 AM
    Yes, that would be the Micro AB port I was referring to. Unfortunately from the photos it looks like a standard Micro B port, though it could still be AB.
    Is it possible for something to be both a host in some instances and a device in others? Isn't that how a BB works now? A host when connected to wireless headphones and a device when connected to your computer?
    11-15-10 09:57 AM
    Is it possible for something to be both a host in some instances and a device in others? Isn't that how a BB works now? A host when connected to wireless headphones and a device when connected to your computer?
    Devices can be both, though RIM has not said anything to suggest the PlayBook will support host mode (I'm still hoping). Current BlackBerrys do not support host mode. Wireless headphones don't use a USB cable, they use Bluetooth. Bluetooth is a completely separate technology.
    11-15-10 01:29 PM
    you do know if u go to ebay or another online site u can probably find a usb wifi adapter for around 5-10 bucks so if u take the wireless hotspot route it will work really well for u since u will also have wifi on ur laptop with that option...just throwing it out there for u to consider.
    11-15-10 04:58 PM
    @taylortbb
    You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Reading the whole thread saved me from having to type what you typed.
    11-15-10 06:27 PM
    Thanks taylortbb... HUGE help. I get it now.
    11-16-10 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD