so i am abroad for a bit and will only have wi fi in my place overseas. how does one connect to wifi on the torch in order to browser the internet, use bbm, etc....
    12-29-10 07:26 AM
    Simply switch on and setup WiFi (Manage Connections). When the scan detects your WiFi router, select it and enter your WPA password when asked. The rest is automagic.
    12-29-10 08:22 AM
    will it work without having mobile network enabled?
    12-29-10 10:02 AM
    yes it will
    12-29-10 10:15 AM
    will it work without having mobile network enabled?
    radi0chik is correct.

We do not have mobile service inside my workplace (metal building) but we do have wifi.
    I turn off mobile network (to keep the device from constantly 'searching for network' which conserves the battery) as I am coming through the door and enable wifi.

I stay connected like that till I leave the building and am able to send/receive emails and surf the web with no problems. Of course, I don't receive any phone calls but I do get phone messages and missed call alerts once I'm back outside the building and the mobile network is turned back on.
    Last edited by 5picker; 12-29-10 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spelling
    12-29-10 10:22 AM
    Yes. U can use wifi without the mobile network enabled.
    12-29-10 10:28 AM
    is there a way for me to use a torch without a sim card, or BIS on wifi only?
    01-09-11 03:13 PM
    No. There is not.
    01-09-11 05:50 PM
    Hi.. I've been trying to connect it to wifi from my home as well, but I can't seem to use wi-fi if i disconnect data services.. is that normal?
    Because if I'm not wrong, data services means that I'm using my data plan to surf right?
    01-14-11 10:39 PM
    Turning off data services turns off all data including wifi. If you are connected to wifi, it will use wifi for data. You can check this by going to Manage Connections->Service Status. It will show the internet service as wifi when you are connected to wifi.
    01-14-11 10:45 PM
    Did you mean the Blackberry Internet Service?
    I've connected to my wi-fi now, but the BIS is still showing Mobile Network.. Any ideas as to how I could solve this problem?
    01-15-11 01:51 AM
    mine does this as well. I believe it uses wifi over your mobile network
    01-20-11 07:35 PM
    But if that's the case, wouldn't that be using your data plan?
    01-23-11 11:12 PM
    But if that's the case, wouldn't that be using your data plan?
    In OS6, the option to select Hotspot browser isn't present, which is using the browser on wifi only. I'd suggest you call your carrier to block data transfering while browsing but to allow wifi usage just to avoid the expensive pay-per-use data usage. I've don't this before and I was able to use browser on wifi only.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-11 02:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD