Hello,

Been searching this forum (and others) to find a solution for my problem.
    I see others seem to have this problem aswell, but I haven't found a solution yet.
    It looks like there hasn't been a solution in any thread yet.

My problem is: Can't browse internet using WIFI (with data services/roaming OFF) on my BB 9700 Bold.

I'm going on holiday in 2 weeks, and I want to use WIFI to browse sometimes.
    If I use mobile internet my phone bill is going to be more expensive then the trip itself.

I tried everything possible. But nothing will work.

On image 1 you see that i'm connected to my home WIFI network (Badabing). Somehow I don't get a green checkmark behind it, but a white dash.
    On this image, the WIFI on my BB is on and the data services are OFF.

Some notes that may help:
    - I tried about 6 different WIFI networks, also unprotected ones on different locations. On none of them it worked, so there's nothing wrong with my home network.
    - I tried to set the browser type on 'Hotspot browser' (but also Internet Browser and Mobile Internet). Still nothing.
    - I do have the BB dataplan. Before my dataplan was activated, I didn't have any trouble browsing with WIFI. Since the dataplan is activated it won't work anymore to browse WIFI only.
    - Tried to remove my home WIFI network and add it again... still same problem.
    - I'm from Holland and my provider is 'Hi' (but don't think this information is necessary).

The WIFI icon is gray when dataservices is turned OFF and WIFI is ON (image 2). But I think that's correct.

Image 3 is the error I get. Doesn't matter which browser setting I use.

Image 4 are the software versions etc. I think it's the latest version, cause my BB Desktop Manager can't find a newer one.

Many thanks for even reading my problem and I would be so thankfull if you even consider trying to help me.

I really hope someone has a solution/possibilities for me. I've been struggling for weeks now to get this fixed, it's getting real frustrated

Last edited by m1c; 09-01-10 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Smaller images
    09-01-10 08:00 AM
    Try re scanning wifi network and entering security key for wireless network.
    09-01-10 08:27 AM
    I would delete all profiles (Options-WiFi) and do a battery pull, then re scan. I would bypass the pres the button for auto connect and rather enter the PSK.

Also, what is your signal strength to the router? I find that if I'm under 2bars sometimes it won't connect.

EDIT, can you please enable data services and try connecting. To see if the WiFi connects. Just to see, then if that works we just disable data while roaming. I'm looking to see if we can at least get you a connection.

If you can screen shot the mini bb logo beside 3G with why grayed out or white, that would be awesome.

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Fubaz; 09-01-10 at 08:48 AM.
    09-01-10 08:43 AM
    Thanks for your fast replies!

Fubaz, I tried all the things you've said.
    Deleted all wifi profiles, battery pull and rescan. Unfortunately still same problem.
    I'm sitting next to the router, so all bars (signal strength) are full.

Here are photos taken from the connectivity with different settings. WIFI Icon stays grey no matter what.

EDIT!!!
    Just when I was done typing this message and looked at my phone, the WIFI icon what bright white!! Think it took some minutes till it got white.

EDIT 2:
    Tested it now with data services ON and roaming ON, wifi icon goes white (after short while). And also with date service ON and while roaming OFF, goes white also.
    Only with data services OFF and while roaming OFF, the WIFI stays grey.

So the WIFI icon lights up, I assume that that means I have a connection with my router through WIFI.
    I just can't figure it out... why it won't work, why I can't browse if the mobile data services are OFF.

Also behind my WIFI connection it still shows a white dash, instead of a green checkmark.

EDIT3:
    The checkmark goes green when the WIFI icon goes white.

Last edited by m1c; 09-01-10 at 10:03 AM. Reason: WIFI WHITE !
    09-01-10 09:32 AM
    Sometimes it takes about 2 to 3 minutes for it to connect and sometimes less than a minute

Good that you issue had solved itself ;D
    09-01-10 09:48 AM
    uuuh Ahmed, I don't think the problem is solved... isn't it?

I'm getting confused now.
    Am I misunderstanding something here?

WIFI still wont work with Mobile Data Services OFF.
    That is possible right?

I mean, I'm going on vacation to another country, and if I put my Data Services on, I pay about 10,00 euros for 1MB... I don't want that. Because it automaticly downloads my emails and PINGs. That will cost me a fortune.

That's why I want to disable it, and only turn on WIFI so I can use hotspots to browse (without paying).
    That is possible right?
    Last edited by m1c; 09-01-10 at 10:12 AM.
    09-01-10 10:05 AM
    Most people i know, even with blackberry's... They leave their phone at home, and get a PDA for this use. Because of the roaming charges, you may be looking at a big bill even if you turn your network access off.

I know it sounds like a traitor is about to write this, but have you thought of an Ipod Touch? Wireless capable, and tons of access to internet, also has JAVA aplet available.
    09-01-10 10:38 AM
    Well... i'm not going to buy an iPod Touch, just because I go on vacation for 2 weeks

Thanks for your reply though. I indeed do read that people get charged with big bills. Thats what i'm trying to figure out to prevent.

There must be a way to use WIFI without mobile data service on...right?
    I mean... if not... then this would be like the worst phone ever. :s
    09-01-10 10:48 AM
    Well... i'm not going to buy an iPod Touch, just because I go on vacation for 2 weeks

Thanks for your reply though. I indeed do read that people get charged with big bills. Thats what i'm trying to figure out to prevent.

There must be a way to use WIFI without mobile data service on...right?
    I mean... if not... then this would be like the worst phone ever. :s
    How so? A phone is meant to be just that, a phone. If a company wanted to sell you a PDA, they would offer a PDA. If you needed a phone as well, they would (most of the time) offer you a BB. Most people that travel overseas just bring a PDA with a wireless hotspot. I guess, if you really wanted, you could disable the network access (or even BLOCK IT with the firewall) But i dont know how how high your bill would be, if it would be high at all.

EDIT: im looking in the settings now. If you removed access to DATA, And roaming, put the network selection to manual, and select NO to automatic mode when wireless signal is lost, you should theoretically be fine.... But this is in theory. In all honesty, i would call your SP.
    Last edited by js593; 09-01-10 at 11:15 AM.
    09-01-10 11:12 AM
    Well js593. I've had Nokia's, SonyEriccsons and more before this BB. And those could disable data and enable wifi with just a couple of clicks. So it should be just an easy setting in my opinion.

But to stay on topic.
    I'll see if I can change those things you've said, see if it works.

EDIT:

No, didn't work changing those settings
    Last edited by m1c; 09-01-10 at 11:28 AM.
    09-01-10 11:21 AM
    M1C, in reply to your reply, the data services have to be ON for your phone to do data. Its like wondering why you can't get water out of the faucet is off.

So we established that your phone accepts WiFi connections (it went white) while data was on. As long as you have the white WiFi you will not get billed.

So now while you're are traveling, you will need to leave your newtork and data services on, but you will make sure the setting for 'Data while roaming' is OFF. This will make sure that you won't use any data that isn't WiFi.

I travel from Canada to the USA 5 or 6 times a year and this is what I do, and have never been billed extra.

I hope I have been a help! Enjoy your vacation!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-10 11:34 AM
    Fubaz, thank you so much for clearing up so much for me!
    Really much appreciated!!

Strange thing is, if I leave data service on, and roaming off... it does still recieve emails and PINGs. So... I have the feeling that that still goes through the BB data plan 3G (not through WIFI).
    09-01-10 11:42 AM
    M1C, in reply to your reply, the data services have to be ON for your phone to do data. Its like wondering why you can't get water out of the faucet is off.

So we established that your phone accepts WiFi connections (it went white) while data was on. As long as you have the white WiFi you will not get billed.

So now while you're are traveling, you will need to leave your newtork and data services on, but you will make sure the setting for 'Data while roaming' is OFF. This will make sure that you won't use any data that isn't WiFi.

I travel from Canada to the USA 5 or 6 times a year and this is what I do, and have never been billed extra.

I hope I have been a help! Enjoy your vacation!

True . . All is true
    09-01-10 11:47 AM
    Thanks for all the help guys!! Really much appreciated!!

And if you want to hear a funny thing. Just got of the phone with my provider. Her tip was:

Best thing you can do is to remove internet from your blackberry. And remove all your email accounts from your blackberry.

hahaha, I laughed and hung up.

Again... thanks for the help guys!
    Sure going to enjoy my vaction now
    09-01-10 12:03 PM
    Thanks for all the help guys!! Really much appreciated!!

And if you want to hear a funny thing. Just got of the phone with my provider. Her tip was:

Best thing you can do is to remove internet from your blackberry. And remove all your email accounts from your blackberry.

hahaha, I laughed and hung up

Again... thanks for the help guys!
    Sure going to enjoy my vaction now
    hahaha . .

you're welcome
    09-01-10 12:21 PM
    I wasnt aware that there were additional data charges when roaming at all? Im positive I never got any additional data charges when on roam with Sprint. I now have ATT though, and now Im paranoid about it...lol
    09-01-10 12:25 PM
    I have a very simple idea.

Get yourself a prepaid sim card, stick it in, and use WIFI this way you have your data plan on, but are not able to get any emails nor get charged since you're using a prepaid sim card
    09-01-10 01:41 PM
    I just bought a prepaid sim card for only 2 euros
    That will do, thanks for the tip!
    09-03-10 08:03 AM
    m1c,

I have been following this tread.

Question, where are you going on vacation?

I was under the impression that even if you bought a prepaid SIM you still would need to have a Blackberry Data plan to get your emails and BBM. Yes, you could still use it for making a received phone calls.

Of course I could be wrong. Anyone else wish to chime in?

Nathan
    09-03-10 08:07 AM
    Hi Nathan,

I'm from Holland and going to Portugal for 2 weeks.

I don't want to use my dataplan when i'm on vacation, thats the whole deal.
    Cause that will cost me too much money.
    I don't care about my emails or PINGs when i'm on vacation.

I've bought a prepaid for 2 euros, and there is 15 euros worth of money on it.

So if I want to browse the web when i'm in Portugal, I just flip in the prepaid sim card and use it.
    It's just 2 euros i've spend, so I don't really care if the 15 euros on the card are gone fast.

All I want to prevent, are high costs with my current mobile subsription while i'm on vacation.
    09-03-10 03:05 PM
    I've recently just returned from Poland and had the same problem and I too purchased a pre paid sim to browse the internet and browsed the internet and checked emails through Opera via WIFI.
    09-03-10 03:36 PM
    Hi Nathan,

I'm from Holland and going to Portugal for 2 weeks.

I don't want to use my dataplan when i'm on vacation, thats the whole deal.
    Cause that will cost me too much money.
    I don't care about my emails or PINGs when i'm on vacation.

I've bought a prepaid for 2 euros, and there is 15 euros worth of money on it.

So if I want to browse the web when i'm in Portugal, I just flip in the prepaid sim card and use it.
    It's just 2 euros i've spend, so I don't really care if the 15 euros on the card are gone fast.

All I want to prevent, are high costs with my current mobile subsription while i'm on vacation.
    Thanks! Have a great trip!

I am always on the lookout to hear about prepaid SIMs with BB Data plans.

Nathan
    09-03-10 04:35 PM
    I just bought a prepaid sim card for only 2 euros
    That will do, thanks for the tip!
    Make sure you've unlocked your BB before you go, too.
    09-03-10 06:47 PM
    As long as you have the white WiFi you will not get billed.
    yup, thats it. data service has to be on. wifi IS a data service, too.
    09-03-10 07:30 PM
    Sometimes it takes about 2 to 3 minutes for it to connect and sometimes less than a minute

Good that you issue had solved itself ;D
    This is weird, why does it take so long until the white icon turns on after you have enabled wifi at home?
    09-08-10 08:47 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD