I lurk here daily, but I rarely post.

Yesterday, however, while comparing Slacker notes with an iPhone toting friend not seen in awhile, he said something that brought me up short.

'The carriers want you to use WiFi--to reduce the bandwidth load. All these new phones--it's not about you, it's about them."

It was an absolute 'Doh' moment, has been stewing in my head since then and has cemented my yearly upgrade decision:

Notwithstanding the duality of its wifi trackpad wonderfulness, rather than jump on the Essex, I'm giving my competitive shopping genes full reign and am waiting for the sure to come Sprint Tour price drop.

(We set up Clear at work. It ranges from good to non-existent, but the upload sucks--capped at 50kbs!) FWIW.

Tour it is for me.
    01-17-10 06:45 AM
    Actually have been debating this myself.

Depending on the amount of the price cut, if any, on the 9630, after the Essex release, I may indeed simple get the 9630.
    01-17-10 07:51 AM
    Will most likely be free? I think it's at $50 right now w/ new contract.
    01-17-10 07:57 AM
    Of course big carriers are all about maximizing themselves. Modern consumers tend to be sheep led to slaughter by the media. Until more of us revolt and force better treatment we will continue to be mistreated.

As to WiFi I am happy to oblige for the faster speeds.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-10 08:43 AM
    Will most likely be free? I think it's at $50 right now w/ new contract.
    HOLY CRAP thats cheap! Currently only one of the carriers in my area has the Tour available. You better sit down for the price though:
    $149.99 on a 3 year contract.
    $249.99 on a 2 year contract.
    $474.99 on a 1 year contract.
    I love Canada, don't get me wrong...but when it comes to pricing of phones or contracts we tend to get s-c-r-e-w-e-d over!
    01-17-10 10:02 AM
    HOLY CRAP thats cheap! Currently only one of the carriers in my area has the Tour available. You better sit down for the price though:
    $149.99 on a 3 year contract.
    $249.99 on a 2 year contract.
    $474.99 on a 1 year contract.
    I love Canada, don't get me wrong...but when it comes to pricing of phones or contracts we tend to get s-c-r-e-w-e-d over!

I'm pretty sure you can buy one from the states full price for like $10 more than the one year contract price.

Also 3 year contract f-ing ouch.
    01-17-10 11:27 AM
    yeah canada's pricing on a whole range of items sucks.
    01-17-10 11:50 AM
    Isnt $250 Canadian the same as $50 American on the exchange rate? If not it should be...And quit sending your nickles down here! j/k
    01-17-10 04:32 PM
    I could really care less about wifi because I'm not a corporate type and if I need to surf the web at break neck speeds, I have a laptop for that. I'm really only holding out for the Essex for the trackpad. So many trackball horror stories have turned me off the Tour, even if it would be a more cost-effective choice.

Hmmm, but the day is coming where I'll be able to test both of them side-by-side so I may end up making a "Pimp Decision" in the words of Katt Williams.
    01-17-10 04:37 PM
    WiFi is an absolute necessity for me. I'm often in Canada and need a phone of which I can turn off the mobile network (to not be hit with international data rates) and establish wifi access.
    01-17-10 04:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD