--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, listen to this one. I just got the bold, and can connect to every wifi network I've come across........EXCEPT MY OWN!!!! I too get the "can't find IP adress" message as well. I've tried changing all the settings on the phone and even tried chaning my router to "open" to allow any access, and it still won't work. The phone sees the router, but won't connect...........its a netgear router.......anyone else have any idea what this could be? I'm sure it's some sort of setting in the router.......but I'm about to take a hammer to that POS!
    08-14-10 10:25 PM
    Never had a problem with mine and it's a belkin. Also never had issues connecting to my neighbors netgear.

What is your OS version?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-10 10:51 PM
    version is 5.0.0.442
    08-14-10 11:18 PM
    Can you connect other devices, like laptops, to your wireless network? It sounds like a DHCP issue with your router.

08-14-10 11:19 PM
    yes, I'm typing on my laptop right now.......that is wirelessly connected to that router.
    08-14-10 11:22 PM
    Looks like you need to upgrade to .862, it's found in the sticky, top of the 9700 forum.

08-14-10 11:28 PM
    If its the phone software........then why does it connect to every other router I've tried?

It's either got to be some setting on the router, or the router itself is somehow not compatible........right?
    08-14-10 11:31 PM
    Normally I'd defer to Rootbrian on this one, but the fact that you can connect to other wireless networks leads me to believe it's not your berry, but your router.

If you're not too attached to your router settings (port forwards, static ip addresses, network key), I'd suggest holding the reset button on your router for 30 seconds, unplugging it, hold for another 30, replugging it in and hold for 30 more (30-30-30 reset). Then try again. If it still fails, your problem is with the router.

08-14-10 11:34 PM
    If its the phone software........then why does it connect to every other router I've tried?

It's either got to be some setting on the router, or the router itself is somehow not compatible........right?
    It's quite possible that the router isn't compatible. I had trouble retaining a valid connection to BIS and the web altogether on airport routers.

08-14-10 11:35 PM
    ok, i'm a network engineer, and it sounds like you have MAC filtering turn on, on the router. if you don't, or don't know what that is (it is never enabled by default) then you should probably unplug your router for a good 30-60 seconds and then let it come back online
    then try

ALL ROUTERS ARE COMPATIBLE. Rootbrian doesn't know what he's talking about. 802.11 IS A STANDARD! meaning ALL routers must comply. not just some.

anyways, try a router reboot if you know you dont have mac filtering on, it'll work.
    08-15-10 01:37 AM
    ok, i'm a network engineer, and it sounds like you have MAC filtering turn on, on the router. if you don't, or don't know what that is (it is never enabled by default) then you should probably unplug your router for a good 30-60 seconds and then let it come back online
    then try

ALL ROUTERS ARE COMPATIBLE. Rootbrian doesn't know what he's talking about. 802.11 IS A STANDARD! meaning ALL routers must comply. not just some.

anyways, try a router reboot if you know you dont have mac filtering on, it'll work.

Not entirely true. Many users have issues with netgear routers and their BB's. At least a thread a week comes up on this. Yes it is a standard but they are always open to error since they are driven by software.

---------

Op, ensure you have the latest router firmware as well. I don't think I have seen a solution in other threads.

08-15-10 02:23 AM
    mine dose that sometimes with a belkin, if i unplug the router and plug it back in it works instantly
    08-15-10 12:48 PM
    Not entirely true. Many users have issues with netgear routers and their BB's. At least a thread a week comes up on this. Yes it is a standard but they are always open to error since they are driven by software.
    What I said earlier is absolutely entirely true. Routers sometimes drop connections and stop accepting new ones, which is usually cleared by a reboot of the router to clear out the flash buffers. There is no such thing as an incompatible router, your phone will connect to ANY 802.11a/b/g/n(if configured correctly) router. There are no ifs here. Netgear and belkin make low quality equipment, which means they are prone to problems. It does not mean they are imcompatible with any devices.

Standards are standards for this very reason. Dont argue. Talk to the ISO if you don't like it. Lol

08-15-10 01:16 PM
    OMG......I feel like an *****.......I've scoured and tried changing virtually every router setting I have.

It was by simply unplugging and plugging back in that finally proved sucessful.

thanks
    JB and everyone
    08-15-10 01:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD