On my mobile phone contract I have an allowance for data, my 9700 can run off wifi as well as my mobile phone provider's net service

At home I want to be using wifi from my wireless router because of the data (bbc ipayer, internet radio etc)

How do I know which network my blackberry is getting data from? Can I make wifi the default with mobile internet (from phone company) only being used when out of my wifi range?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-10 04:21 PM
    I have wi-fi in my house and when home I keep wi-fii active on my phone. I don't know about making wi-fi a default but I think when I am using my browser it automatically connects through wi-fi. I have configured my phone to automatically connect with the home network when it's active.. The connection speed is very fast compared to connecting via 3g.
    02-27-10 04:46 PM
    I have wi-fi in my house and when home I keep wi-fii active on my phone. I don't know about making wi-fi a default but I think when I am using my browser it automatically connects through wi-fi. I have configured my phone to automatically connect with the home network when it's active.. The connection speed is very fast compared to connecting via 3g.
    How do you configure it automatically connect to wifi rather than 3g?or does the 9700 do this on its own?

I don't want to incur data charges from my mobile company for streaming tv and radio

Thanks myco

02-27-10 05:00 PM
    Got bolt browser which in preferences you can select wifi

But on bb browser which you need to use for iplayer there is no way of knowing who is providing the data, any one know how to make wifi the default data provider?

Also have an app called absolute radio, streams live radio, great if it wifi but no so great if 3g, on the options for this it says something about apn? What's apn?
    03-02-10 02:16 PM
    There are settings to make Wi-Fi the preferred connection. This is done by going to Manage Connections then Mobile Network Options then Connection Preferences. Select Wi-Fi preferred.

You know Wi-Fi is active when the Wi-Fi graphic is illuminated, and you are in UMA (instead of 3G/EDGE).

Wi-Fi data transfer is free. But calls still use your minutes (unless you paid extra for it).

I hope that answers your question.

Last edited by Aerowinder; 03-02-10 at 02:30 PM.
    03-02-10 02:26 PM
    There are settings to make Wi-Fi the preferred connection. This is done by going to Manage Connections then Mobile Network Options then Connection Preferences. Select Wi-Fi preferred.

You know Wi-Fi is active when the Wi-Fi graphic is illuminated, and you are in UMA (instead of 3G/EDGE).

Wi-Fi data transfer is free. But calls still use your minutes (unless you paid extra for it).

I hope that answers your question.

Thank you, wifi graphic is showing
    03-02-10 02:41 PM
    Well i did wat you said.... manage connections-mobile network options-and there is no option for connection preference. Am i doing something wrong.wifi is not even an option. please help. btw i have a 9700 bold.
    thanks in advance
    03-27-10 02:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD