To those who have been using WiFi Hero: Both at work and home I've got wireless networks running. I've created profiles for each on the S2, and manually enable WiFi when I want to use it at either location. Question is this-=- The way I understand Hero to work is that when I, for example, pull into my driveway and get in range of my home network Hero would turn on. That part I'm good with. So I charge up and have WiFi enabled on the S2 in the process. When I go to bed I disable manually (now) WiFi and BT, set the alarm, and proceed to toss and turn all night. My concern with Hero is that, since I'm still obviously in range of my network, will Hero persist in maintaining the WiFi connection, so I wake up with zero battery? Or will it time out?

The product info that I've found is a little sparse, although I did see a vague reference to disabling WiFi if the phone's screen is dark. Is this the case? If so wouldn't I be using about as much power with the stopping and starting as if I left WiFi on all the time? Thanks for your input/feedback.
    11-26-09 08:21 AM
    Just got another update email. Version 1.2 is now available.

jisparks load the update and see if that doesn't answer some of your questions. I'm just discovering this app myself.
    11-26-09 11:05 AM
    i like the sound of this app

Could be a real battery saver
    11-26-09 12:01 PM
    surely an app running to get a GPS lock to check if wifi is on or off will use more battery than just leaving wifi on. And for people who have wifi at home and at work this must be useless like the guy above has...

Not one for me as i find wifi on or off makes no difference on battery life as it evens out as when i am at home when wifi takes over BIS and drops the hungry 3G

But thats just me
    11-29-09 07:35 AM
    surely an app running to get a GPS lock to check if wifi is on or off will use more battery than just leaving wifi on. And for people who have wifi at home and at work this must be useless like the guy above has...

Not one for me as i find wifi on or off makes no difference on battery life as it evens out as when i am at home when wifi takes over BIS and drops the hungry 3G

But thats just me
    It doesn't use gps, it uses cell tower refs for location (still works with gps off...)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-09 07:57 AM
    The application has three working modes:
    1. Location Based. In this mode, WiFi Hero will automatically learn the location of the WiFi Hotspot you are currently connected to, and when WiFi is not connected (you are out of range of this Hotspot), WiFi Hero will automatically turn off WiFi - and when you come back to the same Hotspot location, it will automatically turn on WiFi.
    2. Screen Status. In this mode, WiFi Hero will automatically turn on WiFi when the screen is on and automatically turn off WiFi when the screen is off - making this very useful when you use your Blackberry to browse the web.
    3. Charging Status. In this mode, WiFi Hero will automatically turn on WiFi when the device is on charge, and automatically turn off WiFi when device is not charging and on battery power.
    This application is very small (about 12K) and is optimized for battery life.
    This application's permission need to be set to all "allow"

I have one question, when I am not connected to a WiFi connection, the icon is greyed. So does that mean the application is active and using the battery and memory? If so, how great would it be to be able to turn off the application when not needed?
    11-29-09 08:59 AM
    I have one question, when I am not connected to a WiFi connection, the icon is greyed. So does that mean the application is active and using the battery and memory? If so, how great would it be to be able to turn off the application when not needed?
    Yes, when the icon is greyed and there is no network name in the banner than you are not connected but wifi is on.

And thats what this app is made to do. Turn off the wifi when you dont need it.
    11-29-09 11:56 AM
    I share the above question/concern. I have wifi hero activated, but I don't think wifi turns off. In fact with wifi hero activated I wifi keeps turning on.

I just want to make things clear: Wifi Hero is working when the wifi icon has disappeared (i.e. not gray, just gone) when you are not in one of your "learned locations," correct?

Mine is not doing this. It turns wifi on well, but it doesn't turn it off.
    12-04-09 05:56 PM
    Seems to work for me but I've just had it for a day. I just bought my Storm 2 yesterday. What happens if you don't have wifihero? Does it constantly search for a wifi signal and drain the battery?
    12-04-09 06:05 PM
    this app sucks....it doesnt work at all. never turns the wifi off.
    12-04-09 07:13 PM
    I had the same problem. When I would turn it off, WiFi Hero would turn it back on. I emailed support and they told me it was detecting the Verizon network and turning back on. What good would that be? Junk
    12-04-09 08:26 PM
    I guess that's what I was wondering, I don't think it does shut off wifi. Is it turning wifi off for anybody here? Remember light gray does not mean off. No icon is off.

If it doesn't turn it off then I agree it sucks.
    12-04-09 08:49 PM
    I guess that's what I was wondering, I don't think it does shut off wifi. Is it turning wifi off for anybody here? Remember light gray does not mean off. No icon is off.

If it doesn't turn it off then I agree it sucks.
    yeah i cant get it to completely turn off wifi its pretty much useless there goes five bucks
    12-04-09 09:29 PM
    Just got another update email. Version 1.2 is now available.

jisparks load the update and see if that doesn't answer some of your questions. I'm just discovering this app myself.
    How do I update the program if I already have the paid version downloaded

12-11-09 12:39 PM
    How do I update the program if I already have the paid version downloaded

Did you get it from Mobihand or Crackberry? Just log into your account and
    download it again.
    12-11-09 06:31 PM
    Is anyone getting to this program to work yet?
    12-11-09 06:32 PM
    12-11-09 06:51 PM
    I purchased WiFi Hero from the CrackBerry app store and both the download links directed me to the trial version. No registration key was provided in the confirmation email.

Twinkler software support (the one and only time they bothered to reply to one of my emails) told me that there should have been a registration key in the confirmation email. They've since stopped responding to my emails and are absolutely no help to me and completely atrocious to deal with, considering I paid money for their software and ended up, as of right now, buying their free trial.

Anyone have any ideas of what I can do next? Can I get my money back? Can I get a reg key somewhere? Can I ever get a response from Twinkler again?
    02-25-10 02:57 PM
    Have u contacted crackberry app store?? As it would be their mistake

02-25-10 03:04 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. They provided a reg key with a timely response and were a pleasure to deal with.
    02-26-10 01:06 AM
    I perfer SmartWiFi. Gives me up to 100 wifi locations can be saved. Easy to setup and run. And yes there is an icon for it. Does what it says. Works well on my Storm 9550 and Bold 9700. It's rated at 4/5 stars. Check it out at BBAW.
    02-28-10 09:45 AM
    Talk about being hyped up by a developer!

02-28-10 10:04 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD