Has anybody tried WiFi Hero on the Storm2? It is an app that automatically shuts off/turns on your wifi based on location. I see that it has only two stars out of 18 ratings, but no actual review.

Here is a link.
    WiFiHero - Communication & Internet BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store

Thanks in advance.
    11-25-09 10:12 AM
    Sounds like it could be a winner. The 2 stars rating thing kinda scares me too thou, HOWEVER if it works as described could be VERY useful.
    11-25-09 10:19 AM
    Depends on how it polls the GPS. It is possible that the GPS usage could be just as detrimental to the battery as leaving WIFI on.
    11-25-09 10:30 AM
    Just downloaded the trial...will see how it works.
    11-25-09 10:58 AM
    Seems to be doing exactly what it says it will do, WIFI turned off when I left the hotspot and came back on when i entered range again..Might have to buy this app!
    11-25-09 11:56 AM
    Seems to be doing exactly what it says it will do, WIFI turned off when I left the hotspot and came back on when i entered range again..Might have to buy this app!
    Don't know why it only got 2 stars but this app is a great utility! Now you don't have to manually turn off and on your wifi. This app remembers your hotspots and turns on/off your wifi automatically. Works great! High recommend this to those with WiFi on their Blackberry. =)
    11-25-09 12:21 PM
    Would love to have an application that does what WiFI Hero does. I was a little leary after the poor ratings so I decided to do a Trial. Downloaded the app but could not find the icon anywhere on my S2. It shows up in the Applications List. Deleted and tried again. Same problem. I can't find the app. Now I am scared to actually pay for this.

-Steven
    11-25-09 02:06 PM
    Don't know why it only got 2 stars but this app is a great utility! Now you don't have to manually turn off and on your wifi. This app remembers your hotspots and turns on/off your wifi automatically. Works great! High recommend this to those with WiFi on their Blackberry. =)
    Probably has 2 stars because it was just released about 2 hours ago.
    I have been using it and it works as described...

GREAT.
    I will buy and not wait to see if I can win this its that good.
    11-25-09 02:11 PM
    Would love to have an application that does what WiFI Hero does. I was a little leary after the poor ratings so I decided to do a Trial. Downloaded the app but could not find the icon anywhere on my S2. It shows up in the Applications List. Deleted and tried again. Same problem. I can't find the app. Now I am scared to actually pay for this.

-Steven
    Battery pull after installing.
    Well worth the pennies for what it "DOES"
    11-25-09 02:12 PM

-Steven
    It's located in your options
    11-25-09 03:32 PM
    Sounds like this could be a huge improvement for me.
    11-25-09 03:41 PM

-Steven
    yeah there is no icon its under options.
    11-25-09 04:19 PM
    It sounds like a pretty good and useful app to get. Gonna five it a try.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 04:27 PM
    I have an 8900 running 5.0.0.348 and this app was really messing with my WiFi... big time. It would turn off and on randomly, even when I was sitting next to my router. On another forum several others reported the same issue with other BB models.. .so it was not just my specific 8900. It also locked up the 8900 at one point. I had to do a battery pull. When it was turning off and on I couldn't receive any push email nor could I send any email. Again, several others reported the same issue. When I uninstalled it, no problems, back to normal. So again, it had nothing to do with my specific devise.

While I think the idea is great, my personal feeling is that this app is not ready for prime time. It needs more battle testing and some additional controls to make it a real winner. It shouldn't be turning WiFi off and on while you are in the same location.. and that was with the Location Based option chosen. Oh... it was a real hassle when I was on the optoin that turned off WiFi when the screen turned off. It took several minutes for WiFi to turn on... but again, it would go off and on at will.

I didn't rate the app, but if I did I would have given it 1 - 2 stars.
    11-25-09 04:44 PM
    I'm a sucker. I bought it. Uses little or no memory that I can see.
    11-25-09 04:45 PM
    I d'ld the file, but cannot find the icon. looked in all my folders and it is not there. restarted the S2 and still not there.

HELP please

HELP NOT NEEDED looked in the only place I forgot to look, options. got it working.
    Last edited by ishore; 11-25-09 at 08:08 PM.
    11-25-09 07:41 PM
    I have it installed (and found). It seems to work, sort of...
    I go to the location based, and it ALWAYS is unchecked for enable... I enable, save the settings, exit options and go back and its disabled again.

It looked to have turned on the wifi once, but did not turn it off when leaving...
    11-25-09 09:15 PM
    well i got it to work. you have to first disable wifi and then enable wifi hero, it should pick up your connection on its own.

the moment you enable wifi manually. wifi hero will disable itself.

thanks
    11-26-09 04:02 AM
    But no way to turn it off if you don't want to use it. Like at home. I turned off WiFi manually, but Hero turned it back on.
    11-26-09 04:34 AM
    well i got it to work. you have to first disable wifi and then enable wifi hero, it should pick up your connection on its own.

the moment you enable wifi manually. wifi hero will disable itself.

thanks
    I didn't have to do that?
    I just installed 1 battery pull my 9550, and it found my up and running network and set it to option 1.

All good not sure what your turning on and off...

Maybe when I did a battery up it mimicked it for me and I did not notice.
    11-26-09 07:11 AM
    Anyone know what the difference between the Trial and the paid version is?
    11-26-09 07:46 AM
    Anyone know what the difference between the Trial and the paid version is?
    Yeah I think, $4.99
    11-26-09 08:03 AM
    Yeah I think, $4.99
    lol

I just got an email there is an update for this app already. It appears at least in my Storm it was shutting itself off. Hopefully this update will fix that.
    11-26-09 08:10 AM
    I d'ld the file, but cannot find the icon. looked in all my folders and it is not there. restarted the S2 and still not there.

HELP please

HELP NOT NEEDED looked in the only place I forgot to look, options. got it working.
    Go to your Options and scroll down to the bottom. You'll find it there. (There's no app icon.)
    11-26-09 08:15 AM
    lol

I just got an email there is an update for this app already. It appears at least in my Storm it was shutting itself off. Hopefully this update will fix that.
    And what is the ver. I just reinstalled.
    11-26-09 08:16 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD