Hello All..

I can not get my BB Bold to connect to the WiFi network in my home, at work, or at my University.

*The WiFi setup wizard walks me through the steps, as does the book.
    *I turn the WiFi on, I turn the Mobile network off & I have tried leaving it on.
    *I scan for an available network, my 'Bold' recognizes my home 2wire wireless network.. (the same network identifier that my WiFi laptop uses).
    *The Bold asks for my WEP Key, which I have entered correctly at least 10 separate times... (the same WEP Key identifier that my WiFi laptop uses).
    *When I click connect, it takes a couple minutes and returns with this message... Failed to obtain an IP address.
    *Same trouble happens if I try to ping my IP address.
    *I have even dedicated a new channel and frequency within my At&t wireless router to accept the BB Bold.
    *Nothing seems to work. I keep getting the same "Failed to obtain an IP address" Yet it does recognize my home wireless network, just as my laptop does.

Please note: My At&t 2Wire Wireless router has been checked by DSL tech and is working perfectly. It can also support 6 devices and up to 11 different channels and frequencies. I only use the router for my (WiFi i-Touch) and for my (WiFi vista Laptop). I should be able to use WiFi on my Blackberry Bold.

*I do not have an At&t Data Plan on my Bold.

Because the Bold is WiFi capable, it should be an independent connection separate from the GSM G3 mobile network.

I have never seen a WiFi network that has to run through a GSM cell phone tower to connect me to a local WiFi router. I do not need a Data Plan to connect my i-Touch, nor do I have a Data Plan when I connect my laptop with WiFi at a Starbucks or McDonald's.

Before I came to Crackberry.. I tied up a total of over 4.5 hours with At&t tech support, At&t DSL wireless support, (also Blackberry support on At&t's side) and Geek Squad at BestBuy. I feel I have exhausted all of my resources so far, perhaps someone here can sort out this situation. Can someone please help me set this up? I would be glad to call if you can walk me through this, or I will drive within 100 miles of my residence to trouble shoot this. Thanks

Sorry the above is so lengthy. I wanted to make sure everything was covered so the problem and my solutions are clear.
    Last edited by Jim355; 07-22-09 at 04:36 PM.
    07-20-09 05:50 PM
    i had the same problem earlier today after i downgraded my software. i went into my wifi connections and deleted my saved profiles/networks. Then I added them back with the psk and it worked.

I dont know if this helps but i also did a battery pull and reregistered my service books. hope that helps
    07-20-09 05:55 PM
    Thanks for the advice kslay318

I have recently learned that in order to enable WiFi I have to Debrand my Bold, or I have to get a Data Plan.

Klay318 ....Do you have a Data Plan?
    07-22-09 04:33 PM
    You dont have to have a Data plan to connect wifi....it's independant connections..
    07-22-09 05:14 PM
    Thanks for the advice kslay318

I have recently learned that in order to enable WiFi I have to Debrand my Bold, or I have to get a Data Plan.

Klay318 ....Do you have a Data Plan?
    Uh wrong... You don't need either of these to be able to use wifi so... keep trying, either your router is not configured to automatically provide an ip address or there is something fishy with your bold :b

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 05:38 PM
    Uh wrong... You don't need either of these to be able to use wifi so... keep trying, either your router is not configured to automatically provide an ip address or there is something fishy with your bold :b

True, you do not need to debrand or have a data plan to use WiFi. WiFi can be toggled through "Manage Connections" on your home screen. It is also independant from your local Mobile Network.

Have you tried disabling security settings and see if that works? If you still cannot connect with no security enabled, then there is definitely something wrong with your Bold. In that case, I would take it back and see if you can get a replacement.

Also, Bolds sometimes have a problem connecting over WEP. Try WPA/WPA2 PSK instead.

07-22-09 07:59 PM
    These dudes are right. If deleting the connection info and recreating it doesn't solve the issue, it's time to start cheking router settings.

AT&T branding never stopped me from using WiFi. In fact, if you debrand, you're likely to loose the ability to connect to AT&T hotspots, so... less WiFi, not more.

I've also used WiFi with my data services totally turned off, so the data plan requirement is bogus too.
    07-22-09 08:23 PM
    Thank you everyone for all of the help so far.

This is rather stressful as there are so many variations in connections to choose from that it is hard to know what the correct setting and order should be. So far, I have tried connecting in nearly every variation. The BOLD's diagnostic profile menu always locates the correct DSL router and gives me the correct AP MAC Address and every other identifier, except it never can obtain or ping the IP address. All of the latter leads the service techs to believe that the WiFi in the phone is working, as it does see and associate the network, yet the inability to access an IP address does not make sense. (..perhaps that is the security setting that needs to be changed) Please note, my i-touch and WiFi laptop, asks for my WEP Key and upon entering that key they both work on the same home router with ease.

Huge thanks on solving the Data Plan mystery..I am most relieved to learn that I do not need a Data Plan to make WiFi work on the BOLD, thus solving 1 problem. However, going through the process of returning a BOLD that is a few months old is not fun, but will be pursued in full if this problem is not resolved by late next week.

I will continue to try what everyone has mentioned and followup with an update by Monday or sooner.

Thanks again.
    07-23-09 02:55 PM
    Hi,
    I am from the UK and i bought my blackberry 2 days ago and i have exactly the same problem - i am using a wpa2/psk connection and it gives me the same error code - so i am guessing this problem is not restricted to AT&T or whatever it is you guys have over there. I have tried almost every so called solution out there but have had no luck so far...

Please help.....
    07-25-09 06:55 PM
    Crazy idea coming:

Any chance you can get your hands on another Bold to see if that works on your network (like a coworker or friend)? Going that way, you could rule out whether it's your device or something with the Bold.

Aside from that, the only other thing I can think of is maybe firewall settings?
    07-25-09 06:59 PM
    The problem that you are having with at&t has def something to do with branding.
    I have a blackberry storm in US and now that I work in Russia i have a blackberry bold on the Beeline network. My wifi is having a similar problem. It is completely disabled - I dont even see it. If anyone knows how to enable this setting please let me know.
    08-14-09 01:47 PM
    The problem that you are having with at&t has def something to do with branding.
    I don't know why your phone doesn't have the WiFi option, and yes, that could be your branding (you'll have to ask other people who have phones branded by your carrier), but I'm telling you... I know first hand, for a fact, that an AT&T branded Bold can use WiFi even with the Mobile Network connection turned off.

The OP's problem COULD be a security issue on the phone if there was ever in IT policy put on the phone by a BES or something. This can be removed by using the "Reset to Factory" option in JL_Cmder but probably shouldn't be done if you're still using a BES. The other (more likely, IMHO) thing that could be causing the problem is a setting on the wireless router. Check your router's firewall settings, etc. Try setting a static IP associated with the MAC address of the device. Try connecting from a place you know has free WiFi.

08-14-09 04:38 PM
    Okay, Jim?

You said you have no data plan, correct? Alright.
    1. Is everything entered into your auto connect (IE is your home wifi settings saved on your phone?
    2. If so, can you run WiFi Diagnotics on your saved profile for me, and tell me what you see.

I know it may sound rude, it inconsiderate, but yea I know how you feel. I fix computers for a living, and some computers are very dear to people. as are their phones.

What I want to know from your Wi-Fi Diagnostics (and that its set to Advanced (When your in Wi-Fi Diag, hit menu, go to Options, and say Advanced)

Is this:
    Associations, and Authentication. Those are key. Need the former to get the latter, are they red checks?
    Local IP Address, thats your phones given IP.
    Tell me Authentication Failure Reason, thats necessary.

Network Channel Number, also Network Type.

Gateway Address (Router IP)

DHCP (Is that checked? If it is NOT! Then you wont get a IP because a Static IP is being looked for. IE Your phone already should have Local IP Filled in, look below for Solution B)

Primary and Secondary DNS's, are they there? (Thats also key, only need one, and it should be your Routers IP as well)

That should be it.
    Channel shouldn't matter, just make sure its not the same as your cordless phones (I've long since forgotten channel, I fight to keep modem and router seperate. I'd rather not have a hacker nuke my all in one modem/router thank you)

Solution A: Switch to WPA instead of WEP. (WPA is a better security option if your surrounded by Bandwidth hunters, damn buggers) I don't remember if 2Wire has different "types" like Personal or Enterprise....

Solution B:
    In your Homes WiFi profile, go to edit, and where it says "Automatically obtain IP Address and DNS" Uncheck it, and fill in:
    IP Address: 192.168.1.20 (I am assuming your 2Wire router/modem is running as 192.168.1.254? I can't remember)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Primary DSN: 192.168.1.254
    Secondary DNS: (fill in your seconday DNS with the Seconday DNS in your 2Wire)
    DefaultGateway Address: 192.168.1.254 (If that is your 2Wire Address, if not, change it)
    Domain Suffix: Can remain blank. Its optional on your 2Wire, just like my Linksys WRT610N

If that does not work, do a WiFi diagnostics. If everything in WiFi is good looking, but Blackberry Infastructure is not, then we have a problem with you actually be prevented going outside your 2Wire.

Clear, Crisp Questions, with Clear Crisp Answers, always leads to a clear, and happy solution, and fix.
    I know it may be repeating of answers, but I just want to see if I can get a clearer "image" of your problem.

And damn... noticed how bloody long ago it was >.< I just helped gravedig a thread... sigh.
    Last edited by JohnMidnight; 08-14-09 at 07:24 PM.
    08-14-09 07:04 PM
    I'll resurrect it by partially hijacking it to note that not only can you use wifi on the Bold with the mobile network turned off, but wifi also works better and faster with it turned off.

08-14-09 08:38 PM
    I'll resurrect it by partially hijacking it to note that not only can you use wifi on the Bold with the mobile network turned off, but wifi also works better and faster with it turned off.

I am stuck on a similar problem as well. I can connect to my router (Motorola WP805) and when I check the diagnostics everything looks correc (IP adress similar to router, DNS is the router, psk correct), but when I try to ping the router, or my laptop, I get nothing. When viewing the connection, I see the white hyphen instead of the green checkmark.

I know I can connect to local open routers (just to test, honest) and everything works fine. Has anyone else seen anything similar to this? I have gone through all the easy things, reboot router, battery pull, etc, and it seems the only thing that works is leaving the router open, which is not an option. I am considering getting another router to use exclusivly for the Bold, but would rather spend the cash on some cool accessories.

Any help is greatly appreciated

08-14-09 10:38 PM
    Okay, who's quote is that? Lol, gonna assume that was a "quotaing" instead of a Reply
    Anyway, hmmm. I do remember the White Hyphen, usually its a "still working" lol.

>.> Motorola Router? Tell me what it does O.o because Yahoo, Bing, Google, Ask aren't helpful. (I did a search using your words, Motorola WP805) The router itself could be blocking the phone from communicating with you. Can you ping your router with the computer?
    08-14-09 11:05 PM
    Oh no... I just saw the post, sorry about all that.

I am also sorry about the router number. It is a WR850G. That will teach me not to post without the real info.

I can ping the router from my PC, but can't get to the bold from the PC, or the PC from the bold...

I am thinking it is the router too, I just don't know what is wrong or off.

Thanks for any help.

08-15-09 02:13 PM
    The reason why I say its your router because it LOOKS like your Router is blocking your Phone in someway. Which is odd, do you have a IP, DNS, etc? (IE does your phone have a IP?)
    08-15-09 09:16 PM
    It does have a DHCP assigned IP, and I can verify that in the IP lease section of the router, and in the WiFi diagnostics of the Bold.

I also have added the Bolds MAC address to the routers accepted list as another way of trying to get it to recognize it.

In the end the WiFi icon on the home screen is grey, and the connection icon in the antena area is a white hyphen. It is connecting, but not talking.

08-15-09 10:01 PM
    Hmmm... very odd... very very very odd... wait, connection icon? You mean in the area in "Manage Connections"? And doesn't say "Connected to whatever name you gave your SSID"

Have you seen what a different OS on your Bold has done? Because if all else, it could be your Phone, and it could also be your Router which on a double check, doesn't look like theirs any new firmware for.
    Last edited by JohnMidnight; 08-15-09 at 11:22 PM.
    08-15-09 11:12 PM
    In the manage connections screen, I do get the green text that has the SSID of the router but instead of the green check, it is a white hyphen, like the bluetooth when a device is not hooked up.

Then in the wifi connections it says I am connected, and I see the little white antenna with the curves around it, but again the white hyphen.

I know the Bold works, I tested it at my in-laws earlier, but it was on a router with no security. I think I am just going to go get another router and connect up through that with the bold, and keep my pc on the secure one.

Thanks for trying with me.

08-16-09 09:52 PM
    chekc your router settings. you dont need a data plan to use wifi
    08-17-09 08:39 AM
    turn off all security on the router, leave it unsecured, no wep, no nothing.

Reboot router and modem

Do another search with the phone and connect to your now unsecured network.

If you connect, the problem isnt with your phone, its with your router settings.

I know its simplistic and you have done alot of work on this, but if you havent tried it, you cant narrow down the issue.

Also, have you tried to connect your phone via wi-fi to a friends router?
    08-17-09 11:52 AM
    You can always give this a try as well:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/wif...ed-out-232912/
    08-17-09 03:49 PM
    I do think I narrowed it down to the router specifically. I have tried everything above, and everything in the "WiFI - greyed out..." Post and nothing has been working.

I did connect to my in-laws router with no problems, and I can connect to a unsecure router in the area.

Even with no security on MY router I have not been able to connect to it. The router was not the best when I bought it, and has been a bit buggy since the start. It may just be a good excuse to do the upgrade now.

I will get a new router soon and try again, and keep everyone posted on any progress.

Thank you all very much for your help, it is always nice to see people pitching in like this.

08-17-09 10:04 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD