Hello,
    I have become extremely frustrated with this WiFi. At work (comcast with linksys router) My phone stays solidly connected to the wifi, however at home (att service and router) and Starbucks (att) my wifi goes from grey to black to grey to black. During the grey times it says its connected however if I turn of the sprint signal, nothing runs. My signal at home is bad and id really like the wifi to run a little more dependably. I had this same exact problem with my 9000. Anyone have any idea what the problem can be?
    06-04-10 01:36 AM
    You need a new router at home. I've been through tons of different routers, and I've always ended up using a Netgear with 6-8 antennas built in.
    06-04-10 02:02 AM
    get a linksys router. if you can fing an older wrt54g router you can run the tomato firmware on it.
    06-04-10 09:05 AM
    I don't think I can change the router unless I call att. My router was provided by them, its the main box and router all in one. My laptpp holds the signal just fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-10 09:29 AM
    Also try to update the firmware on your router. I had to do that at my parents house to get my 9650 to connect properly as the firmware was a couple of years old.
    06-04-10 09:40 AM
    I don't think I can change the router unless I call att. My router was provided by them, its the main box and router all in one. My laptpp holds the signal just fine.

Then call ATT and make them give you a new router. If its their equipment, they are responsible, not you.
    06-04-10 10:18 AM
    I can't figure out how to set up the 9650 wi-fi. I use AES WPA2 on my router. I don't see that as an option on the 9650. Anyone?
    06-04-10 12:37 PM
    I think the highest encryption standard the new Bold is capable of is WPA.
    06-04-10 12:47 PM
    I'd really like to know a solution to this too.

My home router is a linksys and it connects and stays connected as soon as I walk through the door. But at my sisters house who has an at&t router, it find the wifi but constantly switches between tmobile and wifi. And her laptop works flawlessly throughout the house.
    06-04-10 12:54 PM
    Then call ATT and make them give you a new router. If its their equipment, they are responsible, not you.
    Is it the router though? My laptop, daughters ipod touch and netbook never loose connection, only my 9650.

06-04-10 05:58 PM
    I have finally solved this problem simply by setting up my wifi differently. I used the push button set up.

First delete the existing wifi profile

On the Home screen, click the Manage Connections icon.

Click Set Up Wi-Fi Network.

Click Push Button Setup.

Click Next.

Press wifi button on the front of your router

On your BlackBerry device, click Done.

When you are prompted to save a profile for the Wi-Fi network, click Next so that your device connects to the Wi-Fi network automatically next time.

Click Next.

To complete the Wi-Fi connection setup, click Finish.

After completing this steps my 9650 stays locked onto the wifi consistently.

06-11-10 09:26 AM
    I will definitely have to try this, but I don't recall a push button on her router. Hopefully its there and I just missed it.

Thanks!
    06-11-10 10:30 AM
    i have a similiar problem with my VZW 9650, i dont think i have push button on my router but will try the firmware upgrade and see if that helps.
    06-11-10 10:45 AM
    I can't figure out how to set up the 9650 wi-fi. I use AES WPA2 on my router. I don't see that as an option on the 9650. Anyone?
    According to the verizon rep I talked to yesterday the wifi only works when connected with a cable. She told me you cannot use the wifi without it.

Obviously it sounds like I found the only uninformed verizon rep. ;-)

So you have been able to activate the wifi?
    06-11-10 10:50 AM
    According to the verizon rep I talked to yesterday the wifi only works when connected with a cable. She told me you cannot use the wifi without it.

LMAO.... She's either slow or there was a miscommunication with the question.
    06-11-10 11:37 AM
    Maybe only newer routers have a button. I've only had mine for 4 months.

06-11-10 07:12 PM

I learned way back when with my 8120 that crackberry was way more helpful than the customer service.

06-11-10 07:15 PM
    >>So you have been able to activate the wifi?<<

My WiFi works flawlessly on my home network. Never tried the push button setup. Just went to "scan for networks", it found mine, I typed in the password, hit save and boom there it is.
    06-11-10 07:50 PM
    I, too, have been having issues with the Wifi...

When I'm at home and try connecting to the Wifi, I get a little white horizontal line in the box next to Wifi under Manage Connections. The network name is green, like I assume it should be, but instead of a little green check mark in the box (like next to the "Mobile Network" line above), it has a horizontal white line.

Better than a red "x", I suppose, but I still can't connect.

Any thoughts?
    06-11-10 10:18 PM
    I, too, have been having issues with the Wifi...

When I'm at home and try connecting to the Wifi, I get a little white horizontal line in the box next to Wifi under Manage Connections. The network name is green, like I assume it should be, but instead of a little green check mark in the box (like next to the "Mobile Network" line above), it has a horizontal white line.

Better than a red "x", I suppose, but I still can't connect.

Any thoughts?
    That's what mine was doing when I connected via the scan for networks, with the push button method I have a consistant green check.

06-11-10 11:04 PM
    That's what mine was doing when I connected via the scan for networks, with the push button method I have a consistant green check.

Crap. I tried that method and STILL a little white line.

Anyone else offer any thoughts? Please??
    06-12-10 09:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD