ok, just a bold 9700, thinking of trying it out for a few days, im currently on an iphone. anyway, i dont have the sim installed yet, and hooked up to my wifi at home. the wifi router name shows up, and the wifi logo is greyed out, but i am able to surf the internet. will the wifi logo go white once i activate the berry with the sim? thanks!
    06-03-10 03:31 PM
    wait wait... you can access the internet without a sim card
    06-03-10 03:42 PM
    lol, yeah, thats what was weirding me out. i didnt think i could!
    06-03-10 03:45 PM
    lol, yeah, thats what was weirding me out. i didnt think i could!
    Wow..... I can't even believe it... That is crazy...

But yeah to answer youre question, when the wifi is grey I think it means its on standby waiting for a connection. When its white, means its connected.

I still can't believe its working without a sim...
    06-03-10 03:51 PM
    The way I understand it from reading a bunch of threads (I was having some wifi issues) is that yes, you can use the internet without the SIM, but the logo will be gray. This way if you are somewhere with no service, but has wifi, you can still surf the internet (someone gave a ski lodge as an example). The logo turns white when you are connected to BIS through wifi, at which point your phone will do all the BBM and email will go through wifi as well. This will only happen if you have a SIM because you can only connect to BIS if you have the plan through your carrier.

If I have any of this wrong, feel free to correct me.
    06-03-10 03:57 PM
    Ya you can still use it with out a SIM card. It will turn white once its connected to the the BIS network (BB dataplan and SIM installed). But you can still surf and use apps that use wifi without the SIM.
    06-03-10 03:58 PM
    For whatever reason, that just blows my mind. But I guess I was left in the dark on that one.
    06-03-10 03:59 PM
    lol, you and me both, i was thinking i had to have a sim for it to work that way. thanks for all the information guys!
    06-03-10 04:01 PM
    No problemo!
    06-03-10 04:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD