I am in europe now working. On the weekends I am traveling around and it would be very useful t be able to connect to WiFi hotspots around the towns I am going to. I have an unlocked bold 9000 and I bought a TMO SIM card here for local voice calls with my fellow workers, and this SIM card works fine for voice and SMS.

Now, when I am traveling around, I have not been able to connect to any hotspots. I have changed the browser configuration to 'hotspot' and I have seemingly connected to many different services, though my WiFi symbol is always grey and when I go to manage my connections I only see a white dash next to the WiFi rather than a green check mark. (Should I see a green check mark?) In addition, I am not able to get an IP address at all with any of these connections, despite the fact that the SSID is listed on my homescreen as my current connection.

I have searched a lot of the boards all day today, but nothing really popped out as useful or nothing that i did try worked.

are there settings i need to fix in the phone somewhere that I am not looking?

can i get a wifi connection without a data plan? (I believe the answer is yes but always worth asking again)

if anyone has any tips, i would really appreciate it. thanks so much!
    06-07-10 12:57 AM
    bump. please help me out if you know anything.
    06-08-10 01:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD