Okay I'm sure everyone else out there knew this, but I just discovered it...

I would always manually turn my wifi on when I knew I was near an open signal (at home or at my office) and cut the "mobile network" off. This was kind of a pain.

But now I'm realizing that you can leave both on and if you have the wifi profile saved your 8900 will automatically detect it and connect the much faster wifi for internet, messenger and all other data and I can still receive and make calls because my mobile network is still on!!!

This was an amazing discovery last night, it really brings a lot more functionality and justification to the wifi feature.

Just want to share.

Thanks
    09-03-09 07:21 AM
    Lol yea, this has always been able to be done...just know that if you leave WiFi on to detect automatically for a signal it will drain your battery much quicker!
    09-03-09 07:24 AM
    That is bloody obvious. This actually applies to almost every mobile phone on the market.
    09-03-09 07:28 AM
    I learned about it when it happened. I setup my WiFi at home, but when I left the house, the wifi icon turned grey. When I returned home, it picked up the wifi and icon turned white!

Jancy10
    - Thanks for the tip. I always left mine on, however I charge mine every night so battery power hasn't been an issue for me (yet).

BTW, on browsers such as Bolt and Opera Mini, I always go into the (browser's) settings/preferences and enable/disable the wifi option manually. This does need to be done correct?
    09-03-09 09:27 AM
    also if u have for example linksys saved any linksys that is open will connect to it. Been places where i noticed i was connected pretty neat feature
    09-03-09 09:41 AM
    Lol yea, this has always been able to be done...just know that if you leave WiFi on to detect automatically for a signal it will drain your battery much quicker!
    I've never really tested the difference but I leave my WiFi on all the time and I'm quite satisfied with my battery. I can probably go two days like that although i make a habit of plugging it in every night. I know some people complain if their phone doesn't last a week but I don't really care. So long as I know how long it lasts and plug it in accordingly, I'm good.
    09-03-09 11:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD