Hi all. I've had my 9650 about a week, and I'm having a problem with wifi dropping in/out. While surfing, wifi icon disappears from browser, then sometimes comes back. It seems to cycle on/off for no apparent reason (using internet browser).

Having the same problem at both home and work (not a router issue) and I'm definately in range of the router.

I searched the forums, but decided to post here as I'm wondering if this is a hardware issue.

Anyone else having this problem, or is it normal for wifi to cycle on/off while surfing?

Seprate but related question: Does wifi normally disconnect if the phone is not in use? Seems that wifi is cycling on/off when the phone is not being used...

Thanks in advance.

Mike
    07-20-10 10:19 PM
    As per my experience I noticed that wifi is not so good, I was wondering if it was just my crappy old wifi router. it definitely is slow to latch onto this known hotspot.And try this upgraded the router firmware just now and the The Nexus is still dropping the Wifi signal when it goes to sleep.
    07-20-10 11:23 PM
    What's your signal looking like when you're browsing? Scan for networks and see how strong your router's signal is. Also, the Wi-fi doesn't disconnect when your device is idle. It stays on until you turn it off. Now, the connection varies depending on whether or not you're in range of your network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-10 11:23 PM
    [QUOTE=RegE;5369755]What's your signal looking like when you're browsing? Scan for networks and see how strong your router's signal is. Also, the Wi-fi doesn't disconnect when your device is idle. It stays on until you turn it off. Now, the connection varies depending on whether or not you're in range of your network.

RegE, signal strength = 4 bars, started browsing, wifi icon disappeared, rechecked signal = 4 bars.

When I say it disconnects when idle, I mean the wifi icon on my home screen goes from white to grey.

07-21-10 06:34 AM
    I seem to be having the problem also. I could be sitting right next to my router and it still happens.....
    07-21-10 07:12 AM
    Mine does it occasionally. It also takes a while to connect.
    07-21-10 11:22 AM
    ...RegE, signal strength = 4 bars, started browsing, wifi icon disappeared, rechecked signal = 4 bars.

When I say it disconnects when idle, I mean the wifi icon on my home screen goes from white to grey.
    When you're at home, for example, do you have your network saved? If you mistakenly saved other networks (your neighbors), your device may be searching for and trying to connect to them if you have them on top on yours regarding search priority.

If you open MANAGE CONNECTIONS > WI-FI OPTIONS, the only networks you should see at the bottom should be the ones you saved - the ones you truly want saved. And they should be in the order that you'd like your device to search. If you have any other networks there, delete them.

Other than searching and signal issues, I can't think of why your device would disconnect.
    07-21-10 01:34 PM
    Just curious if OP or anyone else here has found a fix. My wifi keeps dropping randomly at home or anywhere else. Logo goes from white to gray all the time. And even when it is on, my data rarely works while on a call.
    08-02-10 08:41 AM
    I'm not having that problem. I have my networks saved and they connect automatically. There's no signal loss.
    08-02-10 08:48 AM
    I don't have that problem at all. I am leaning towards hardware or os bug. What os are you running? Have you done a clean load?

08-02-10 08:48 AM
    Just curious if OP or anyone else here has found a fix. My wifi keeps dropping randomly at home or anywhere else. Logo goes from white to gray all the time. And even when it is on, my data rarely works while on a call.
    I don't know if it was related, but my problem is now gone. The only change I made was installing the SIM card. If your SIM card is removed (or flipped over), try installing it. After the SIM is installed, try a battery pull and also remove/reinstall your networks.

If the problem persists, call your provider. There may be a known issue with wifi on BES phones.

Good luck

08-02-10 09:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD