hi all,

As the name suggest's ive come back to Blackberry, I had a Storm two years ago....absolute garbage to be honest, but ive used other Blackberry's and it didnt put me off.

Just bought a Bold 9780 today and very impressed as i knew i would be

One small issue is the constant dropping of WIFI, if i open the browser there is a 50/50 chance it will load, sometimes it will and then when i go to another page it will drop.

Nothing wrong with the router, ive just got rid of an Iphone 3GS and that was faultless with WIFI.

So is this an issue with the Bold 9780?

many thanks,

Lee
    01-10-11 05:17 PM
    Not a lot of thread here complaining about the 9780 WiFi performance. I use mine all the time and it works perfectly. I can even get great reception on my dock which is a good way from my WiFi.

Have you tried it with another WiFi to see if it has the same problem?
    01-10-11 05:36 PM
    I have had problems with wifi on 9700 and now 9780. Its usually with what channel my wifi is broadcasting on. I changed the channel and suddenly wifi is connected and has UMA. All over my flat and out in garden. So a simple channel change may help.

Phil

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by prlarkin; 01-11-11 at 04:52 AM. Reason: spelling
    01-10-11 05:42 PM
    thanks for the replies,

I shall set about changing the channel :-)
    01-10-11 05:45 PM
    thanks for the replies,

I shall set about changing the channel :-)
    Did changing the channel help?
    01-11-11 04:51 AM
    Did changing the channel help?
    Unfortunately not no , changed it to a few different channels and it dosent help at all.

Very strange as like i said, it was faultless with the iphone 3gs. So the problem must be with the phone.

As i say, its 50/50 whether the homepage loads, and if it does then it will deffinetly drop when i try to connect to another page, it will time out and come up with the message 'unable to connect to the server'.

Lee
    01-11-11 03:15 PM
    Did you upgrade to .359? If not please try that.

01-11-11 03:25 PM
    Did you upgrade to .359? If not please try that.

I checked for the latest device update using the blackberry desktop manager, it says it has the latest software? or is .359 an unnoficial release?

Lee
    01-11-11 03:38 PM
    Its an official release just not with all carriers. Check out the sticky at top the 9780 forum.

01-11-11 03:44 PM
    Its an official release just not with all carriers. Check out the sticky at top the 9780 forum.

ok cheers bud, ill install it and see if it helps.

Lee
    01-11-11 03:45 PM
    I checked for the latest device update using the blackberry desktop manager, it says it has the latest software? or is .359 an unnoficial release?

Lee
    .359 is an official release, just not with your carrier.

If you want to install it, you'll have to download and install it to your PC, from the sticky at the top of the page.

Make sure you've made a recent backup of your 3rd party apps and device data.

After that, you'll have to delete the vendor.xml file from your PC:-
    C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader

Then plug your phone into your PC, and run the Loader.exe file from the above AppLoader folder.

Sit back, have a beer, then enjoy .359
    01-11-11 03:49 PM
    .359 is an official release, just not with your carrier.

If you want to install it, you'll have to download and install it to your PC, from the sticky at the top of the page.

Make sure you've made a recent backup of your 3rd party apps and device data.

After that, you'll have to delete the vendor.xml file from your PC:-
    C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader

Then plug your phone into your PC, and run the Loader.exe file from the above AppLoader folder.

Sit back, have a beer, then enjoy .359
    thanks for the info, just waiting for it to download (slow download speeds with Sky connect)

is .359 really that much better than the .294 we get in the UK?

Lee
    01-11-11 05:49 PM
    thanks for the info, just waiting for it to download (slow download speeds with Sky connect)

is .359 really that much better than the .294 we get in the UK?

Lee
    No probs Lee.

To be honest, there isn't really that much difference between the two OS builds... but newer is usually better
    01-11-11 06:09 PM
    No probs Lee.

To be honest, there isn't really that much difference between the two OS builds... but newer is usually better
    i see, well ive just installed the update and its made no difference

it seems as though it keeps dropping, reconnecting and then dropping again. I know when it reconnects because the BlackBerry logo appears next to the wifi icon.

Even if the wifi icon shows all 4 bars full, it isnt connected because the browser stalls and i go onto the 'service status' menu and instead of saying Wi-Fi on BIS and BES it says 'not connected', yet when i go back to 'manage connections' it says SKY76790 next to Wi-Fi and its ticked. The only way i know its connected is when the BlackBerry logo appears next to the full Wifi icon

Lee
    01-11-11 07:47 PM
    Have you tried deleting your current saved wifi profile, and creating a new one?

It's a long shot Lee, but it worked for me once on my 9700.
    01-11-11 07:55 PM
    Have you tried deleting your current saved wifi profile, and creating a new one?

It's a long shot Lee, but it worked for me once on my 9700.
    Thanks Phil but unfortunately it hasnt made any difference , the fault is deffinetly with the phone though as my laptop i am using is faultless on my wireless internet.

Lee
    01-12-11 09:59 AM
    Getting a similar problem with my new 9780.

Also, getting fed up with the message "unable to find the requested server" or else "there is insufficient network coverage to process your request. Please try again later" if I try to access any page from bbc.co.uk.

Very frustrating.
    01-15-11 12:30 PM
    Getting a similar problem with my new 9780.

Also, getting fed up with the message "unable to find the requested server" or else "there is insufficient network coverage to process your request. Please try again later" if I try to access any page from bbc.co.uk.

Very frustrating.
    Yeah exactly the same problem, i havent found a way of sorting it out yet.
    01-16-11 05:33 AM
    I forgot to mention that i tried my brothers Bold 9700 on my network and he is having the same trouble, so maybe its blackberries in general?

cant be my router because im using my laptop as we speak on wireless, and my old iphone was wireless.....so strange

Lee
    01-16-11 11:40 AM
    I am having a similar problem, it seems to be isolated to my house. Every once in a while, wifi wont connect... but i reset the phone and im good. Everywhere else i have a saved network, it connects automatically... everytime.

Maybe its my router? D-Link N router....
    01-16-11 12:31 PM
    I have issues with my Dlink N 615. Definitely the router I can hook up to a Linksys no problem. I have changed the settings and it helped for a bit. Check the thread titled Wifi Issues. I have a link to the settings there. See if it helps you.

01-16-11 07:14 PM
    To help you all out, here are the settings I use on my Dlink N router: Flickr: thegregerator's Photostream

If the link doesn't work, they are on flickr, search thegregerator. They are tagged with uma, blackberry, dlink, settings.
    01-17-11 12:29 PM
    After weeks of only semi-successful tweakings, I've purchased a new Linksys e2000 router. Should be here in a couple weeks. I'll load it up and let you know how it goes. D-Link was fine for my comps, not UMA.

01-17-11 09:05 PM
    I forgot to mention that i tried my brothers Bold 9700 on my network and he is having the same trouble, so maybe its blackberries in general?

cant be my router because im using my laptop as we speak on wireless, and my old iphone was wireless.....so strange

Lee
    Have you tried reset on router and do battery pull on BlackBerry whilst its reseting. Had few issues with the netgear sky router and BlackBerry wifi in past
    01-18-11 05:06 AM
    Have you tried reset on router and do battery pull on BlackBerry whilst its reseting. Had few issues with the netgear sky router and BlackBerry wifi in past
    Interesting that you should mention sky because thats the router ive got, i tried pushing the reset button in and doing a battery pull whilst resetting.....and its the same as before

What does the Blackberry logo mean when it shows up? because i only have a 'true' wifi connection when that logo pops up.......and not when all the wifi signal shows up (4 bars of white)

Lee
    01-18-11 10:38 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD