I've read through various boards and haven't really found any answers to my problem (or any problems quite like mine, as far as I can tell).

When I try to use Wifi on my 9700, whether for the browser, Pandora, whatever, nothing seems to load and the phone switched to my 3G connection and loads everything fine. For example: I'll have wifi on, white logo and everything, and open my browser to browse the internet. The wifi logo shows in the top right corner. I go to open a web page and the loading bar will pop up with "Requesting..." for ~20 seconds while nothing happens. After those 20 seconds or so the wifi logo disappears, 3G with the BB logo pops up and the page loads a couple seconds later.

This happens on both wifi networks I have tried. One is my home network and the other is an AT&T hotspot in the Starbucks I work at.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks in advance!
    05-27-10 07:01 PM
    do you get UMA red dot in upper right? if not, not connected.

i had to change security on my Netgear router to the "last choice" (PSK, something and something).

only then did my work (now works fine).
    05-27-10 09:45 PM
    I also have problems with my netgear. What were those security settings did you change?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-10 10:53 PM
    What is UMA?

Anyway, I found out how to delete my service books, and that seemed to fix the problem (at least on the at&t wifi at work). I'll see how it works on my 2wire when I get home.

Edit: nevermind. It loaded the page with wifi, then went back to 3G when I posted this reply.
    Last edited by hammerhand; 05-27-10 at 11:11 PM.
    05-27-10 11:09 PM
    What is UMA?

Anyway, I found out how to delete my service books, and that seemed to fix the problem (at least on the at&t wifi at work). I'll see how it works on my 2wire when I get home.

Edit: nevermind. It loaded the page with wifi, then went back to 3G when I posted this reply.
    what do you have your wifi settings set too, does it automatically pick it up when it goes into the wifi area, im sure it's easier with the att wifi since it's more or less a WEP connection, but for the home it may be different, if you try to connect obviously you use the network name and the key, but also make sure the Prompt me when manual connection or login is required is checked and the second option, Enable single profile scanning, is unchecked. just an observation,
    05-27-10 11:47 PM
    My settings were set as you described. My home network is also WEP, and it auto logs in there too. It loaded this page, so we'll see if it let's me post this comment.

Edit: yup, it worked, so it seems like re-sending my wifi service books worked.
    Last edited by hammerhand; 05-28-10 at 01:12 AM.
    05-28-10 01:09 AM
    change NetGear router security to: WAP-PSK (TKIP) + PSK (AES)

once i did that, no issues.
    05-28-10 05:37 AM
    What are your settings on your BlackBerry with regards to your "Firewall"?
    05-28-10 05:40 AM
    Firewall setting is "Disabled"
    05-28-10 07:37 AM
    I might try disabling the security on your home wifi temporarily and seeing if that helps!

05-28-10 07:41 AM
    sorry -

i thought you were asking me !
    05-28-10 07:49 AM
    With my phone I have set my connection options to "WiFi Preferred". See what your's are!

05-28-10 07:50 AM
    Sort of same problem here. says connected with IP address both at office and home. No green check mark and WIFI logo is greyed?

It is definitely my 9700, hopefully it is a setting that need to be refreshed. Reboot by battery pull. but same problem. Any help??? Thanks.

Bold007
    05-28-10 09:31 AM
    bold 007, do you have a BB data plan? With it, you wont have a white wifi icon, no matter what...

Are there firewalls on the routers? what security... we need more info to help
    05-28-10 09:53 AM
    bold 007, do you have a BB data plan? With it, you wont have a white wifi icon, no matter what...

Are there firewalls on the routers? what security... we need more info to help
    I have a data plan. This just happened to me.. It used to work before. I went to status, I see the IP address. at the wifi setting I see the id but a - no check mark like before.
    05-28-10 11:13 AM
    I have a data plan. This just happened to me.. It used to work before. I went to status, I see the IP address. at the wifi setting I see the id but a - no check mark like before.
    which data plan do you have? Did you recently change the data plan?
    05-28-10 11:20 AM
    Turn your WiFi off amd then your Mobile Network. Now turn the WiFi back on and wait until it connects to BIS and then turn the Mobile Network back one. This usually works for me whem my WiFi remains stubbornly greyed out.
    05-28-10 11:26 AM
    Didn't know there was a firewall built in to the BB, cool! It was disabled already.

Last night it was up to the same old shenanigans, white wifi logo, but wouldn't load web pages until it seemingly switched to 3G. This morning it's working fine, so I have no idea what's up. I'll try the WPA-PSK and see if that helps.
    05-28-10 12:07 PM
    it could be the carrier as well... they might be doing something to the UMA servers and such... you never know
    05-28-10 12:12 PM
    What is UMA, exactly?

I have AT&T, and from what I've read and wiki'd it seems like a T-Mobile thing?

Edit: so WPA-PSK worked, but it's still finicky, one page loads showing wifi, the next sits there and does nothing til it goes to 3G, which is the same problem I was having before
    Last edited by hammerhand; 05-28-10 at 12:21 PM.
    05-28-10 12:18 PM
    What is UMA, exactly?

I have AT&T, and from what I've read and wiki'd it seems like a T-Mobile thing?
    UMA allows you to make voice calls over WiFi. It is only offered by T-Mobile and not At&T.
    05-28-10 12:22 PM
    UMA allows you to make voice calls over WiFi. It is only offered by T-Mobile and not At&T.
    Aha, got it, thanks.
    05-28-10 12:26 PM
    see my router settings on previous page......that worked for me.
    05-28-10 04:04 PM
    see my router settings on previous page......that worked for me.
    They didn't work for me on my 2wire

Well, not that they didn't work, but they didn't fix my problem- I was still having the same problem as before.

I'm going to go ahead and put my post in the Wifi forum, now that I see that is exists.
    05-28-10 04:49 PM
    I somehow missed this thread before, but step 9 seems to have solved my problem. Will post an update later.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/wif...ed-out-232912/

Edit: It may have worked, but it was sucking my battery like a mofo. I switched back to normal and my web pages seem to be loading properly with wifi.
    Last edited by hammerhand; 05-28-10 at 08:35 PM.
    05-28-10 07:50 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD