anyone can tell me the difference between WiFi, and use dateplan?

if you can browsing website, and use BB messenger why do you need Wifi?
    03-02-09 12:24 AM
    In simplistic terms, wifi is just when you connect to the wireless networks, like how a laptop/desktop does. Dataplan is when you subscribe to ATT's blackberry data plans and ATT provides the data through one of the protocols.

The reason people use wifi, like me is, because I'm cheap and don't want to PAY. I just browse when I'm in a wifi area, like at home, work, or a hotspot like a coffee shop.

I'm not sure that's what your asking...
    03-02-09 01:18 PM
    Wifi is built into BlackBerry to support Unlicensed Mobile Access.

With UMA active, all of the voice and data use the Wifi connection. That is very important if you are in a signal poor area.

The carriers market UMA with various premiums, unlimited national calling is a nice benefit.
    03-02-09 01:50 PM
    Thanks.. but. don't they charge you to use wifi? I know some places you can get on wifi, how is the speed compare to data plan? can you make free call by using wifi?
    03-02-09 02:06 PM
    I have no idea about the calling questions over WIFI but if you are just wanting to browse using wifi, yes, some places charge. The thing is, you have to find the places that don't, like your hose, your local coffee shops, your library, etc.

Go a google on free wi-fi hotspots and enter in your city, you will probably get a list of them. There's like a 'movement' of sorts that are really into free wifi hotspots.

For me, there is no comparison with wifi and the blackberry plans. WIFI hands down is faster.

But if all you are looking for is general browsing, the blackberry may be overkill. There's so much more you can do with it.
    03-02-09 03:24 PM
    You do not need a data plan to use wifi. I called in and told my service provider to block my data. Now I don't have the edge symbol in the corner any more so I know I am safe. Also get opera mini 4.2....it's much faster and nicer than BB browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-09 08:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD