Ok, new user here with a brand new 9700 Bold, which i love!! Just a quick question .. I connect to my homes wireless router for WiFi connection .. Now obviously i realise WiFi is free, however, apart from general web browsing, if i were to use my WiFi to watch streamed videos from say youtube or BBCiplayer would I be charged? I have a 600Mb data plan and realise if I were to watch such videos using 3G it would soon eat into that!
    Also, when using WiFi, is there an initial connection charge when I go onto the net?
    11-23-10 05:32 AM
    If you are on WiFi there is no charge for anything you view, stream, etc... You can
    also turn off your Mobile Network while on WiFi to assure that WiFi is your only
    connection in use.

No there is no initial connection charge for anything when using WiFi.
    Boothy1972, Fubaz and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-23-10 05:42 AM
    good luck with your new bold and if you have any questions, ask. the only stupid question is the one you never asked..........
    11-23-10 07:44 AM
    Enjoy your new bold 9700. Even when you're not on wifi stay within the 600MB plan you should be fine
    11-23-10 09:15 AM
    Yep free as long as you are on wifi...good choice on phone! Love mine, especially since OS6!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-10 10:36 AM
    Also know that SOME programs don't support WiFi. So, even if you are connected, they might still run on the 3G. So, as AG suggested, turn off the Wireless network and just use the WiFi to make sure.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-23-10 11:53 AM
    Wi-fi Is free.

11-23-10 03:10 PM
    I would turn off Mobile Network when browsing the web on your device to be absolutely sure you don't go over 600MB as streaming apps might use 3G. Although, you will miss phone calls.

11-23-10 03:28 PM
    What carrier do you have? AT&T has an app you can download for your BB that allows you to see your usage. I use mine a good amount and went a month without wifi to see what my data usage was. Almost hit 600mb.
    11-24-10 04:25 AM
    I imagine you're in the UK as you watch iPlayer.

If you're running an OS5 release the data transfer arrows at the top right of the screen will have WiFi next to it if its using WiFi or the network signal strength if it's using the network. On OS6 (very worthwhile installing the beta release) at the top right of the screen it will show the BlackBerry symbol next to how you're connected to the BIS which should be how you connected to the internet for browsing and streaming.

You'll find many applications allow you to set the connection method to WiFi only.

But to be really sure you should download this app from the appstore
    BlackBerry App World - Network Traffic Control - FREE BETA
    which will show your daily and monthly network and WiFi traffic. You can set warnings if you're approaching your network limits. That will also give you an idea of how much data streaming actually uses.

If you watch a lot of iPlayer shows there's iplayer downloader -
    po-ru.com: iPlayer Downloader
    that will download programs to your PC in MP4 format that you can copy to your memory card and watch at your leisure.
    11-24-10 04:54 AM
    Not sure how this works/fails for other countries but TMo allows UMA. I have a USA plan and when abroad using WiFi and UMA I can call back to the USA as thought I were still in the USA. That is, no roaming charges. A thing of beauty and a joy for travelers. The net and data are free as ways on WiFi. My wife uses an spare 9700 sans SIM card to do her email and browse the net while abroad.

11-25-10 06:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD