Hi everyone,
    I'm experiencing a strange problem with my new BB Curve 8900. Because of the fact that I don't use the BB push mail service I needed to install the gmail app to read my e-mail via wifi. This all worked correctly after the install and I was able to read my email, but after I removed the device for the first time out of the range of the wifi the problems started. After I came back into the range of my wifi the app just didn't get a internet connection again. I tried the hotspot browser which connected immediately to any webpage. I even installed another java based email client (logic mail) and experienced the same problem. I assume that it has something to do with the app permissions but I have no clue why it should connect after install and then never again (well it does but only very random... sometimes after restarts and sometimes after I used the hotspot browser but as I said there is no pattern for it).
    I would really appreciate any ideas how I can try to get it working again.

Thanks very much

Rafael
    Last edited by ray30002; 08-31-09 at 10:33 AM.
    08-31-09 10:09 AM
    I have a Wifi Only Curve that I use with Gmail, but not the Google supplied application.

Use your Hotspot Browser to open Google, then open iGoogle. Gmail is available for web access.
    08-31-09 10:26 AM
    Ya I know this option, but it would be way more comfortable to use the gmail app... I want to understand why it doesn't work :-)
    08-31-09 10:31 AM
    Most apps for the Blackberry require a data plan to operate correctly. Do you have a Blackberry Data Plan specifically? A regular data plan will not cut it.
    08-31-09 10:36 AM
    No I don't have a data plan, but my BB has wifi so why should I need a data plan if I want to connect via wifi to the internet. The problem seems to be related to the activation of the wifi connection. The java programs seem to be unable to use a wifi connection which is in power saving mode. Is there any way the fix that?
    08-31-09 10:55 AM
    This could be O2 messing you up. O2 want you to pay for their dataplan so they block some features.

I have an O2 dataplan on one of my phones and I had to remove the O2 Firewall lock using CrackUtil before I could tehter sucessfully.

Some carriers will block WiFi access when you do not have a dataplan and some do not.
    08-31-09 11:20 AM
    Sounds plausible, I'll try that. Thanks!
    08-31-09 12:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD