I recently purchased a Curve 8900 and was able to connect to my wifi at home. However when I go online to actually browse/download apps/ it keeps switching to the edge connection even though I have the "wifi preferred" option selected.

Furthermore, if I downloaded the app it won't let me install saying there's a 'data connection' required (even though I have full service and am connected to the wifi network).

Any suggestions guys?
    01-28-10 10:59 AM
    do you have data with att?? the reason your getting the "data connection" issue is that most apps do not work over wifi and you must have data from service provider to be able to browse the web.
    01-28-10 11:00 AM
    Actually you are right, I don't have a data plan yet with crap t&t... I thought it would work just over wifi (common apps like facebook and gmail...)...Thank you for your response...so what can i do with just using wifi at home?
    Last edited by sri745; 01-28-10 at 11:43 AM.
    01-28-10 11:33 AM
    Wifi lets you use the Hotspot Browser, only.

Choose your default at: Options / Advanced Options / Browser.

That is the gateway to web based e-mail and and some chat clients. You can download and install certain types of software, but some will not initialize correctly.

You will find a discussion of the best choices in this sub forum.
    01-28-10 11:42 AM
    there is a app you can install to force the apps to work over wifi, theres a one time fee, im looking through the crackberry app market where i originally downloaded it but not finding it. if i do ill post its name. also if you browse the wifi forums youll see apps listed that will work, cheers.
    01-28-10 11:51 AM
    i don't have a bb plan and don't beleive its necessary if your the average user for the most part..

forums.crackberry.com/f65/will-wifi-work-blackberry-without-data-plan-282304/

With wifi being relatively everywhere (in my area at least) i don't feel its necessary and there are actually quite a handful of apps that work on wifi only.
    01-28-10 04:39 PM
    i don't have a bb plan and beleive its not necessary if your the average user for the most part..

http:// forums.crackberry.com/f65/will-wifi-work-blackberry-without-data-plan-282304/

With wifi being relatively everywhere (in my area at least) i don't feel its necessary and there are actually quite a handful of apps that work on wifi only.
    01-28-10 04:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD