Nothing disturbing but just a heads up before upgrading to 7.1 ( from 611)
    I noticed that when i have set my "data" and "roaming" off but wifi on my phone automatically connects to a unsecured wifi acces point and pushes data from bis to my phone.
    A little strange it is, probably a new feature i havent seen before...shocked me a little though...
    I should probably go through my settings....
    So why am i writing this down....probably so you know hehe
    04-10-12 05:41 PM
    thanks for showing me this feature... because and but this is how it works on the iphone. all the phone needs is a wifi connection, it will look for the BIS server through the wifi network.
    this ensures that if you travel abroad you dont run the risk of keeping the data services on while roaming.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    04-12-12 04:49 PM
    its maybe os7/7.1 features. Previously on os6 & below if data is off, can't use wifi as well.
    04-12-12 09:48 PM
    @ wankay! That was my idea too, so i was kinda suprised!
    04-13-12 01:11 AM
    well this is how i found out. previously i had a Bold 9000 from work and had to charge it everyday. wife got an iphone 4 with an unlimited data plan, she wasnt happy with its battery life so her friend advised her to turn off data services. this meant the phone need not use its antenna downloading email n stuff all the time, she noticed a very minor improvment, just not good enough.

when i bought my BB9790 i thought it would be good to save as well by switching off the Data. thought all i needed was the WiFI but realised on BBs the data plan has to on to run BIS. it took me a while to figure out why most apps kept asking for an internet connection even though i had connected to a secure WiFi... now that i've upgraded to 7.1 it has been sorted ) this means when Im on a foreign network i can switch off the data and happily continue to use WiFi

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    04-15-12 01:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD