Hi, my question is can I connect to wifi and browse the internet without my sim card installed? I just want to be able to check my email though my Telus webmail while I am in Mexico. I f I need my simcard installed is there anyway to check my webmail through wifi without getting any roaming charges? Thanks for the help.
    02-20-11 07:17 PM
    I'm pretty sure you can use wifi without a SIM installed, but not 100% sure. Why don't you just try it on your Blackberry?
    02-20-11 07:20 PM
    Just turn your Mobile Network off and you can use WiFi. Try it.
    02-20-11 07:22 PM
    Thanks for the quick replies. I have tried setting my connection to Wifi only and was able to browse and receive email through my home network. My concern is if I am in Mexico using the resorts wifi connection is there any way that I can get charged for data roaming.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-11 07:28 PM
    It won't work if you pull the sim card out, but if you leave it in and turn off the mobile radio off, it will use the wifi only. Also, make sure under Manage Connections - Mobile Network Options, your Connection Preference is set to WiFi Preffered.

02-20-11 07:31 PM
    Leave the SIM card in the device.
    Turn the Mobile Network off.
    Connect to the hotel's WiFi.

You won't be charged on the carrier network if it is turned off.
    02-20-11 07:44 PM
    This may sound like a dumb question but how do I turn the network off. I have looked in manage connections and for network I only have a choice of auto and manual. On my Bold I was able to turn radio off but can't seem to find it on my torch.

02-20-11 07:51 PM
    Manage Connections>uncheck the Mobile Network box.

02-20-11 07:57 PM
    Thanks, found it. I am using the wifi now. I just hope
    I don't get any surprise roaming charges for data on my next bill.

02-20-11 08:08 PM
    It won't work if you pull the sim card out, but if you leave it in and turn off the mobile radio off, it will use the wifi only. Also, make sure under Manage Connections - Mobile Network Options, your Connection Preference is set to WiFi Preffered.

Sorry, I'm calling BS on this. I've pulled my SIM out and only used wifi, and it works just fine.

02-20-11 11:30 PM

Sorry, I'm calling BS on this. I've pulled my SIM out and only used wifi, and it works just fine.

Not totally BS. You limit your device more by removing the SIM so why bother.
    The browser will work with no SIM but you will have no BIS therefore some things will not work. For example, on WiFi without the SIM card, BBM and Email don't work.
    Leave the SIM in and turn off the Mobile network and you can browse and still BBM and Email.
    Something like AppWorld requires the SIM and the Mobile network.
    02-21-11 12:01 AM

i think you misunderstood where they were coming from. pmccartney is right.

you can browse on wifi as much as your heart desires without a SIM card in the phone, but you will lose all BB Data functions (BBM and emails). leaving the mobile network off and the SIM in, will divert all data over wifi only (not the mobile network, so no roaming). this will allow you to browse, BBM and email. you just cant use the phone or SMS.

ive done this before where the at&t network (island beachouse, only one tower) went down for about an hour. i was still connected to my homes wifi so emails, browsing, FB and BBM were unaffected whereas i couldnt call or SMS (went to SOS).

the OP should make sure in his wifi preferences that wifi is the preferred method when available.
    02-21-11 12:55 AM
    If you people go back and re-read original OP's question, they ask if you can take out your sim, and access the net. Which is a YES.

That's the ONLY thing the OP wanted to do.

02-21-11 08:01 AM
    Well, that's NOT the ONLY thing the OP wanted to do.
    02-21-11 08:59 AM
    If you people go back and re-read original OP's question, they ask if you can take out your sim, and access the net. Which is a YES.

That's the ONLY thing the OP wanted to do.

Yes we read it. He also said that he wanted to be able to read his Telus email via webmail (yes he can do that) but 'we people' thought it would be helpful to let him know that if he leaves the SIM in he can send/receive the email, via the BB email client.
    Is there something wrong with giving people extra information in relation to a thread topic? I don't think so.

"That's the ONLY thing the OP wanted to do"
    Perhaps now that he knows he can send and receive his email (without the use of webmail) he will use that method. We don't know.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 02-21-11 at 09:39 AM.
    02-21-11 09:36 AM
    Yes I would rather use the BB client. Thanks for the info.

02-22-11 11:37 AM
    I thought I would add my results now that I am back from my vacation to Mexico. This is what I did. Resort had wifi access so I turned of my network and left the data on and set the connection to wifi prefered. I was able to receive all of my email, used my BBM no problem (maybe a slight delay) Facebook was working well but there was a delay (this could be because of my settings in facebook app), score mobile for hockey scores, and all of my apps that allow you to connect through wifi. I did not use my phone to make any calls. NO EXTRA CHARGES on my bill.

Now just to let everyone know that this was a vacation for me so I did not have my BB hanging off my swimming shorts. I checked my mail and some news along with hockey scores every morning with my very weak cup of coffee and then enjoyed the rest of the day with my wife and the other couple that we vacationed with.

Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread and I hope that this may help others that are planning on bringing BB's to Mexico.
    03-09-11 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD