I have a BB 8520, when I turn on the WiFi connection the name of the access is given but the symbol of WIFI that appears on the homescreen is in gray and It wont turn white at its supposed to. Can anyone help me deal with this? thanks
    01-24-11 01:38 PM
    Try resetting the router, and if that doesnt work disable the N band if it has one.

Good luck
    01-24-11 01:41 PM
    What is the N band?
    01-24-11 02:18 PM
    802.11N.... The phone won't support 802.11N, only B+G. Check your WiFi diagnostics. It should tell you exactly what the problem is. Manage Connections-WiFi Options-WiFi Tools-WiFi Diagnostics. If your plan doesn't include BIS, that's probably it. Change your browser to "Hotspot Browser" and you can at least surf the web thru your WiFi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-11 07:23 PM
    802.11N.... The phone won't support 802.11N, only B+G. Check your WiFi diagnostics. It should tell you exactly what the problem is. Manage Connections-WiFi Options-WiFi Tools-WiFi Diagnostics. If your plan doesn't include BIS, that's probably it. Change your browser to "Hotspot Browser" and you can at least surf the web thru your WiFi.

Without BIS, could i still check my emails with wifi? if yes, how? thank you ! I can't seem to update my OS without a BIS subscription is that correct ? any other ways to update my OS w/o BIS? thank you !!
    01-24-11 08:41 PM
    sorry hank no email, unless you can get your browser working and check it via their mobile website.

You update your OS on your PC and you can put any 8520 OS you want on regardless of whether you have a BIS plan or not.
    01-24-11 09:06 PM
    In order to use Email, BBM, App World or most third party programs, your need to include BlackBerry Internet Service from your carrier.

When you have a Wifi connection you can use the Hotspot Browser for Internet access.

Call your carrier and verify the details of your account. Most carriers offer BIS with packaged data for $15-$30 month.
    ... ... ..
    01-26-11 02:44 PM
    Newbie with a used BB Curve 8530, asking:
    Is there a hack-around to allow me to use Wi-Fi without having an expensive phone account?
    Also, does GPS work on this 8530?
    Thanks for any replies!
    01-27-11 06:02 PM
    my friend has one and it says can not access page would this be the same problem as stated above. her phone says that its connected and shows the icons and everything.
    01-27-11 07:56 PM
    A newbie learned something.
    The guy at the phone store said to me that can not access wi-fi without a phone contract. But wi-fi does work when I am inside a wi-fi hotspot, without a phone contract. It was really helpful to me to watch the wi-fi 101 video, THANKS for posting it.
    Still can not get any GPS to work on my 8530.
    Doug
    02-09-11 05:44 PM
    8520 doesn't have GPS pal.

02-09-11 09:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD