Long story short, I don't have a data plan on my BB Curve 8530. So I have been using WiFi to connect to the internet, BBM, etc. However last night, I updated my phone to the new OS. And this morning, I can't connect to ANY of the apps. But I can connect to the internet thru the BB browser. It's weird because the WiFi logo isn't "on" but it will still let me connect.

Is there something I need to do? Can someone help me out please?

Thanks in advance.
    10-21-10 10:06 AM
    Long story short, I don't have a data plan on my BB Curve 8530. So I have been using WiFi to connect to the internet, BBM, etc. However last night, I updated my phone to the new OS. And this morning, I can't connect to ANY of the apps. But I can connect to the internet thru the BB browser. It's weird because the WiFi logo isn't "on" but it will still let me connect.

Is there something I need to do? Can someone help me out please?

Thanks in advance.
    The wifi icon will only be white if you have it on and have BIS (aka data plan); Grey is on but no BIS. Are your TCP/IP settings correct? Try a battery pull. If that doesn't do it, try deleting then re-adding the wifi.
    Last edited by CASH; 10-21-10 at 03:05 PM.
    10-21-10 03:01 PM
    How do I change the TCP settings? I can't seem to find it.

Battery pull didn't work. Adding or deleting the WiFi didn't work. I even went back and re-installed the older OS and it still didn't work. It has to be something with the TCP/IP settings, but I can't find them.
    10-21-10 06:17 PM
    How do I change the TCP settings? I can't seem to find it.

Battery pull didn't work. Adding or deleting the WiFi didn't work. I even went back and re-installed the older OS and it still didn't work. It has to be something with the TCP/IP settings, but I can't find them.
    Options
    Advanced Options
    TCP/IP
    10-22-10 03:35 PM
    I thought the TCP/IP settings had nothing to do with wifi?
    10-24-10 10:47 PM
    That is only related to data over your 3G/EDGE/GPRS network. I remember having this problem where all 3rd party apps wouldn't connect to wifi. Usually a battery pull solves this problem for me but after servicing my phone I never got that problem again. Just bring the phone to your carrier and have them switch your phone.
    10-24-10 10:50 PM
    I tried to download googlemaps before but it didn't worked but the latest version works perfectly on wifi connection only

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-10 12:34 AM
    If anybody needs a 2D code reader application, I found that (despite what it claims in the description) ScanLife works just fine. I haven't tried any of the others, so they may work just as well.
    02-12-11 02:18 PM
    Great success to report! There is finally a cross platform messenger that works with wifi only (this phone has never had a data plan or BIS).

Live Profile - www dot liveprofile dot com (don't have 10 posts for urls)

I wasn't able to sign up* for an account using the BB but I am able to sign in.

*I wasn't able to sign up using an iPhone last night either but the iPhone gave a different/better error message so I can't say for sure that BBs can't create accounts.

Cheers,

Mottie (using a bugmenot account)
    03-31-11 10:25 AM
    somebody needs to create an app that makes the bb think it had a data connection but its really over wifi so we can use the apps freely! people like me will thank you =)
    06-19-11 11:56 AM
    somebody needs to create an app that makes the bb think it had a data connection but its really over wifi so we can use the apps freely! people like me will thank you =)
    Aerize Wifix?

If you can find a way to buy it.

The point of this thread thou, was never bypassing data plans, but identify which apps don't need them.
    06-19-11 02:18 PM
    Google Maps works with WIFI, but not with a generic data plan. Seems to need BIS.
    08-28-11 02:56 PM
    Google Maps works with WIFI, but not with a generic data plan. Seems to need BIS.
    Welcome to the forums.

We've been all over Gmaps already. It does not work over WiFi for everybody.
    08-28-11 03:53 PM
    Hey. BlackBerry tinkerer and explorer here, but I can't say I've been with Blackberry for a long time. Please note that I have no BIS or BES. I'm on a regular phone voice and texting plan with no browsing, data, or any sort of internet connectivity, though I am on 3G and 2G networks.

Seems like this thread needs an update.

Try using Aerize WiFix.
    Apps working with WiFix:
    Native Blackberry Gmail App, after login with data plan
    Blackberry Maps
    Google Maps
    Google Mobile App

Wi-Fi Only supported, without modification/Wi-Fix:
    Facebook v2
    Twitter
    Facebook Messenger
    Chat on Facebook
    Wi-Fi File Transfer
    VNC
    Elertify
    BeFTP
    App Stalker
    Google Sync
    Mobile Player for Youtube
    TuneIn Radio
    Nobex Radio

Data/BIS needed:
    Vlingo
    BBM
    PdaNet (tethering, duh.)
    Podcasts
    Blackberry News
    MisterJones likes this.
    12-01-11 07:24 PM
    wow you just brought it back, i forgot about this lol
    12-01-11 08:01 PM
    Let's give this thread a bump so people can confirm snuupy's list....
    12-18-11 06:10 PM
    The BBM and MSN clients doesn't seems to work with WIFI only.

The native FB and Twitter works though.
    12-29-11 03:25 PM
    The BBM and MSN clients doesn't seems to work with WIFI only.

The native FB and Twitter works though.
    i dont think bbm will work over wifi. its a network service which you have to pay for.
    01-04-12 02:33 PM
143 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD