Whoa a lot has happened here! Sorry about the inactivity!
    I'll add epocrates and Pandora to the working section, Seemic to the pending section. I won't be able to test out the apps since I won't have access to my Blackberry for a week.
    08-02-10 02:02 AM
    UPDATE

pls add SNAPTU- it works over wifi I confirmed it.
    Are you on a BIS plan? I asked a rep and he/she said it didn't work. I'll add it into the Working with BIS section for now.
    08-02-10 02:05 AM
    Also, I don't know if People care, but a fantastic application for uploading photos that works with every Social Networking site is: Itookthiswithmyphone. You create an account, link it with anything, facebook for example, and you will be able to upload photos to your facebook account with only wifi.
    It's called iTookThisOnMyPhone . I'll test it out later when I can use my phone, it sounds really cool.
    08-02-10 02:07 AM
    Don't mean to hijack this thread, but is it possible to force Palringo to just use wifi? I don't have a data plan, but I do have a lot of wifi hotspots around me. So I was wondering if that is possible while still being able to recieve calls/txt. I ask this because sometimes my berry will say it is connected to wifi but it really isn't so i don't want the risk of getting charged for data.
    08-02-10 03:57 AM
    Don't mean to hijack this thread, but is it possible to force Palringo to just use wifi? I don't have a data plan, but I do have a lot of wifi hotspots around me. So I was wondering if that is possible while still being able to recieve calls/txt. I ask this because sometimes my berry will say it is connected to wifi but it really isn't so i don't want the risk of getting charged for data.
    It usually defaults to wifi when it's available. If it doesn't, then it's not possible to force the app to use wifi.
    08-02-10 08:27 AM
    It usually defaults to wifi when it's available. If it doesn't, then it's not possible to force the app to use wifi.
    Aw darns! I wish I can just keep it to wifi. Do you know if palringo will still connect without wifi? I know the browser won't connect if wifi is not present.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-10 07:23 PM
    Are you on a BIS plan? I asked a rep and he/she said it didn't work. I'll add it into the Working with BIS section for now.
    Nope I've been on straight wifi no data plan

08-03-10 11:23 AM
    Aw darns! I wish I can just keep it to wifi. Do you know if palringo will still connect without wifi? I know the browser won't connect if wifi is not present.

It won't connect because there won't be any internet connection without wifi...

Nope I've been on straight wifi no data plan

Hmmm I'll add it into working
    08-04-10 10:46 PM
    wait is it possible to take someone's SIM card that has a BB data plan and use that to activate BIS and then just use your sim card afterwards.?
    08-04-10 11:57 PM
    i think that's not gonna work since you will have to register your PIN(for BIS plan) or download the necessary service books(for prepaid BIS) by registering to prepaid BIS.

In the Philippines there's a prepaid BIS for about 26 US dollars. Unlimited everything. Works also for generic plan but the $26 will be charged on top of your monthly bill.
    08-06-10 05:09 AM
    We don't have any prepaid BIS services and all of the BIS plans require 18 month to 2 years contracts.

08-07-10 03:01 AM
    i was previously using my generic plan for my Blackberry hand held. i would have to add 26 dollars(1200 pesos) more on top of my monthly bill. but because my bill skyrocketed due to some BB apps running on wap/gprs(didnt know w/c), i decided to use a prepaid sim card for my BB using BIS prepaid. no worries this time about my bill.

speaking of apps, would you guys know if there's an available Answering Machine application that is compatible for Storm 9530 and curve 8520?
    08-07-10 07:37 AM
    Hi, I've been around this forum since I got my BB, but only today registered. So here's my first post:

I was looking for a thread like this (so thanks KrazyBoy for so long, that I'm gonna make a lil add to the list.

Another app that works over WIFI: MGMaps. It loads the maps from different services (Yahoo, MS, etc) (I don't have data plan, so I don't know if this switches to data when Wifi is off).

Thanks again.
    08-07-10 08:04 PM
    Hi, I've been around this forum since I got my BB, but only today registered. So here's my first post:

I was looking for a thread like this (so thanks KrazyBoy for so long, that I'm gonna make a lil add to the list.

Another app that works over WIFI: MGMaps. It loads the maps from different services (Yahoo, MS, etc) (I don't have data plan, so I don't know if this switches to data when Wifi is off).

Thanks again.
    Ok I'll go test this app out. Thanks!
    Update: It works over Wifi. One thing I don't like about it is the panning is extremely slow
    Last edited by krazy.boy; 08-08-10 at 07:56 PM.
    08-08-10 07:52 PM
    Yeah, but the good thing about that app, is that you can put maps on the SD and use it offline when you don't have Wifi (or data plan like us)

BTW, Snaptu is in the wrong section, it does not run over Wifi, yesterday I tried almost all the apps in the working section and that one was the only with problems.
    08-08-10 09:10 PM
    You may want to redownload snaptu..at first I didn't think it wasn't working because it opened fine but it took forever to sign in..but I redownloaded it and its working fine..facebook and twiiter.

08-09-10 05:37 PM
    I put Snaptu in the pending list. It still does not work for me, and I actually contacted Snaptu's CS about it and they said it didn't work
    08-11-10 08:58 PM
    Guys, anybody who knows if there's answering machine app for BB storm? Thanks
    08-12-10 03:09 AM
    Does MGMaps give directions?

Or does it only show where you are?

I had it on my old Eternity, and all it did was show where I was. It was useless for actual navigation.

How did it work for you guys?
    08-12-10 10:44 PM
    great thread
    08-13-10 01:30 AM
    I tried gmail and it doesn't work, of course that was known already but here's the funny thing, a few months ago I was in China and bought a China Mobile sim and the Gmail app worked perfectly with their APN, not sure if it was because I had my BB (8300) active with BIS before the trip... I wish it would work with wi-fi now though... Bolt worked great too, even was able to access facebook and tweeter, because using the BB explorer was next to impossible.

Now, I tried nimbuzz on a 8220 and I got it to work, but it's not working correctly on a 8900 And I tried to download App World and it says my phone doesn't meet the requirements or something like that? WTF. Again, I was able to do it with the 8220 and run it over wi-fi, but maybe it's because that phone was active at some point with BIS and my 8900 has never been active... I also can't upgrade the OS without BIS. I love BB, but I don't have enough money right now to have the data plan, I just wanted to get a little use of the wi-fi feature...
    08-15-10 01:35 AM
    Not sure why you've got Google Maps showing in the 'Not Working' section

It works perfectly over wifi with a BB data plan, and always has done.
    08-15-10 11:31 AM
    Not sure why you've got Google Maps showing in the 'Not Working' section

It works perfectly over wifi with a BB data plan, and always has done.
    I agree it does when you have the radion on, but when I turn the Carrier network off, even if I have the brightest Wi-Fi logo, it still complains about needing a data connection.

Yes, I do have BIS.
    08-15-10 02:59 PM
    I agree it does when you have the radion on, but when I turn the Carrier network off, even if I have the brightest Wi-Fi logo, it still complains about needing a data connection.

Yes, I do have BIS.
    I wasn't aware that switching the radio off was part of the test for this thread, but I just tried it and it still works perfectly, with no complaints.

No idea what you're doing wrong, but on my 9700 running full BIS on .862 with Vodafone UK on wifi only (white symbol) and mobile network switched off... Google Maps v4.4.0 works fine!

08-15-10 05:32 PM
    I'm quite sure I'm not doing anything wrong Phil. Only difference from what I did to what you did is the device used and the carrier.
    08-15-10 05:52 PM
143 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD