I have a Sprint Tour curently, and I know the Tour 2 and supposedly all Sprint smartphones from there on should have WIFI. I would like some clarification from someone that knows what exactly will WIFI do for me other than when im surfing the web on the phone. Will it send any voice calls, txt messages, bb messages, or MMS over my broadband? I usually have 1 bar in the house and things take forever to go through. I was considering the airrave, but was wondering if i just got a new phone with WIFI what benefits would that have? All of my genious friends have different opinions when asked this question, but i doubt they know what they are talking about half the time lol.
    12-03-09 02:56 AM
    I have an answer for u. Wifi is used for all of the above mentioned. Its used for internet, voice calls, mms messages. I don't think bbm uses wifi though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-09 04:48 AM
    depends on your carrier imo.. some have voice blocked
    12-03-09 05:19 AM
    BBM will use WiFI also.
    12-03-09 05:21 AM
    I'm pretty sure that WIFI will take care of anything that normally uses your phone's data plan. That covers pretty much everything EXCEPT voice and SMS/MMS messages. They all use the voice connection, sent in things called packets.

UNLESS, as one previous poster mentioned, you have T-Mo or some other carrier that provides UMA-capable services. Then you can use WIFI to make voice calls with a sort of "voice over internet protocol" thing.
    12-03-09 08:35 AM
    Never used wifi on a BB but I'm pretty sure it covers everything that uses data.
    12-03-09 02:20 PM
    BBM goes via BIS so dont think that is working on wifi only
    12-03-09 07:08 PM
    I was playing with the 9700 today in an AT&T store. It is a sweet phone and makes me all the more anxious to see an Essex.

Salesman said that with AT&T voice is NOT carried on WIFI. Only data on the AT&T system.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but CDMA (e.g., Sprint) phones can have voice carried on WIFI (I think).
    12-03-09 10:10 PM
    T-Mobile WIFI service will support voice too (thru UMA on GMS network). So, it appears that AT&T has chosen to block that functionality.

(No comment on anyone's service...just facts about WIFI and voice)
    12-03-09 10:47 PM
    So, if the Tour 2 for Verizon has WiFi does that mean that I can be on a call using Bluetooth and send a BBM at the same time? I have always found that frustrating that I can't be on a conference call and surf the web for information pertaining to the call or send a BBM to one of my colleagues.

Thanks for your answers in advance.
    12-03-09 10:57 PM
    You can call if your carrier has not blocked the option. If you don't have UMA activated (I think T-mobile is the only one offering this) you can place a call then, but it will still cost you minutes. Sprint and Verizon dont offer the voip option (yet)

Just over wifi data will work, BBM not, just like everything else that used BIS like push mail.
    12-04-09 04:22 AM
    You can call if your carrier has not blocked the option. If you don't have UMA activated (I think T-mobile is the only one offering this) you can place a call then, but it will still cost you minutes. Sprint and Verizon dont offer the voip option (yet)

Just over wifi data will work, BBM not, just like everything else that used BIS like push mail.
    I thought T-Mo's UMA service did NOT use minutes - hence the need for UMA added subscription.
    12-04-09 07:53 AM
    Thats why i say if you dont have UMA activated... you read to fast
    12-04-09 11:04 AM
    when the tour 2 comes out, one day, is there any way to add uma to the phone? its pointless to have a bb that has wifi and not uma. tmo is sounding better and better everyday.
    12-13-09 10:32 PM
    Uma seems to only be available on gsm devices from att and tmobile.
    Wether or not att blocks theirs but as far as I knod cdma devices from sprint and verizon cannot do this.

To answer an earlier question, when the new bbm 5.0 came out I do remember them saying you could use it over wifi now because u weren't able to before

12-13-09 11:23 PM
    Here is how it works;

You have 2 services on your BB; Voice, and Data.

Voice is for Calls, SMS/MMS.

Data is for all BIS communications. So email, BBM, browser.

With WiFi, the BIS connection gets changed from the mobile network, to the WiFi network. So when connected to WiFi, BBM, Email, and Browser will all work just fine over the wifi. You CAN call and use BBM at the same time as long as you are on WiFi.

T-Mobile is the only carrier I have heard of that offers UMA, which is the service needed for voice services over WiFi.
    12-13-09 11:42 PM
    Yes only tmo has UMA. I can verify that the s2 with wifi does not make calls via wifi just data. With a wifi hotspot connection you can do voice and data at the same time and beat that cdma limitation.

12-13-09 11:49 PM
    still not sure about BBM as that goes via BIS. And dont you need to install an separate email program to receive email? Email goes via BIS as well on a Blackberry?
    12-14-09 01:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD