Hi everyone

I am not able to just engage the wifi capabilities of the phone. When I turn the phone services off, and turn on just the wifi, I attempt to connect to the internet...but an error message occurs indicating that I cannot connect. Do I need to have cell service engaged to connect to the internet even though I want to try and use wifi exclusively?

Thanks so much
    Andy
    12-02-10 08:21 AM
    Hi Andy, you do not need your phone service on to connect to the internet if you are using a wifi connection. Just make sure you have set up the wifi with the passpassphrase if it is a secure network. Otherwise it should pick up all available networks.
    12-02-10 08:58 AM
    Hi everyone

I am not able to just engage the wifi capabilities of the phone. When I turn the phone services off, and turn on just the wifi, I attempt to connect to the internet...but an error message occurs indicating that I cannot connect. Do I need to have cell service engaged to connect to the internet even though I want to try and use wifi exclusively?

Thanks so much
    Andy
    There is no need to turn off the cell service, if you do you will miss phone calls during the time you have it off.

Go into your setup and select Wi-Fi, it will scan for networks available to you and you can choose the one you want to connect to. It will ask for a passphrase if one is needed, otherwise if it is an open network it will connect. Be sure that you have your devcie set to connect to a network anytime it is in range. Once you have connected one, the phone will automatically connect for you anytime you are in range of the network.
    12-02-10 09:50 AM
    There is no need to turn off the cell service, if you do you will miss phone calls during the time you have it off.

Go into your setup and select Wi-Fi, it will scan for networks available to you and you can choose the one you want to connect to. It will ask for a passphrase if one is needed, otherwise if it is an open network it will connect. Be sure that you have your devcie set to connect to a network anytime it is in range. Once you have connected one, the phone will automatically connect for you anytime you are in range of the network.
    I believe that it will automatically connect only on OS6, Bob. Correct? When IO had OS5 I had to choose which wi-fi I wanted to connect to and change the actual one. If I came home from work, I had to manually select my home network.
    12-02-10 12:21 PM
    I'm on OS5 and my 9650 will connect automatically to networks I am in range of and had set up previously.
    12-02-10 09:15 PM
    Wifi will connect automatically with or without mobile network enabled on OS5 or OS6.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-10 09:38 PM
    I believe that it will automatically connect only on OS6, Bob. Correct? When IO had OS5 I had to choose which wi-fi I wanted to connect to and change the actual one. If I came home from work, I had to manually select my home network.
    If you have the device setup to connect automatically to configured networks it will automatically connect to any network you have setup whenever you are in range.

This works on both OS5 and BB6.
    12-02-10 09:53 PM
    Wifi will connect automatically with or without mobile network enabled on OS5 or OS6.

Not sure what is wrong for me but if I turn off Data service, it disconnects my wifi........ Only reason I want to do this is so I don't have data charges when I am over seas. Any ideas? Don't want to come home to a $1k bill....
    12-03-10 02:13 AM
    When I go to Mexico, I turn off data services while roaming. That will allow me to use wifi. Also setup your firewall to block sms and mms.

12-03-10 05:50 AM
    If you have the device setup to connect automatically to configured networks it will automatically connect to any network you have setup whenever you are in range.

This works on both OS5 and BB6.
    Sorry Bob. The only network mine automatically connected to on OS5 was the one I currently had selected. For example, I had my home network chosen, went shopping and came home again. It will connect to home. But if I go to work and even tho I have work set up, It does not connect to work unless I choose it. This is with OS5 not 6. 6 does it on its own.

I hear what you guys are saying but that's not how it works on my phone. Sorry.
    12-03-10 06:47 AM
    Sorry Bob. The only network mine automatically connected to on OS5 was the one I currently had selected. For example, I had my home network chosen, went shopping and came home again. It will connect to home. But if I go to work and even tho I have work set up, It does not connect to work unless I choose it. This is with OS5 not 6. 6 does it on its own.

I hear what you guys are saying but that's not how it works on my phone. Sorry.
    JayDee, I certainly could be wroing here; however, my recollection is that there was a setting somewhere in the setup process that allowed you to change between "Selected network only" and "Connect to configured networks" (paraphrasing) which controlled how it reacted to connecting to a Wi-Fi network that was available. Memory leaks pretty bad which could cause incorrect recollections. Happens naturally to us geezers.
    12-03-10 07:12 AM
    JayDee, I certainly could be wroing here; however, my recollection is that there was a setting somewhere in the setup process that allowed you to change between "Selected network only" and "Connect to configured networks" (paraphrasing) which controlled how it reacted to connecting to a Wi-Fi network that was available. Memory leaks pretty bad which could cause incorrect recollections. Happens naturally to us geezers.
    Bob, not only do I have memory leaks as well, because of age, but you know how my phone leaks! I don't recall that setting you mention, which is why I probably never selected it, and probably why my phone didn't work properly in that way!

Thanks for the info.
    12-03-10 07:20 AM
    I'm on OS5 and my device connects to any pre-configured and enabled Wi-Fi network - home, work, brother-in-law, Panera Bread, Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, restaurants, church… all automatic (after network is configured once) without changing any settings on the BlackBerry. I'm not sure what settings I've enabled to enable this behavior - it's just always done so :-)

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    12-03-10 07:11 PM
    I'm on OS5 and my device connects to any pre-configured and enabled Wi-Fi network - home, work, brother-in-law, Panera Bread, Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, restaurants, church… all automatic (after network is configured once) without changing any settings on the BlackBerry. I'm not sure what settings I've enabled to enable this behavior - it's just always done so :-)

Yes and it will do the same on OS6.
    12-03-10 08:06 PM

Same here on OS5, except for one thing....When I am on my home network, if I try to go on the internet, I have no problem getting on, my WI-FI button is all lit up, BUT, and this is a big but, it always connects through my data plan, and is slow. When I turn off my radio, my phone connects at speeds almost as fast as my PC, and I am on Verizon with FIOS 35/35. I thought that the phone should automatically switch to WI-FI and not use my data plan, but it doesn't and as such, the browser is extremely slow. Can someone explain this to me?
    12-04-10 04:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD